Status: On hiatus. Rewritting.

My Constant Companion

Quatorze

“Jared?” I asked my best friend in disbelief.

“Yeah.” Ivy smiled. “He was the guy who was talking to Shannon at the after party. I ran into him yesterday at the market. We talked and he asked me out.” she was swooning. “He's gorgeous, by the way. He has the more incredible blue eyes, Nikka. I may be in love. How does he know Shannon?”

Oh. My. God.

“Uh...” I was at a lost for words. “Ivy. I don't think this is a good idea.” I managed to say after a minute.

She frowned. “Oh? And why not?”

What could I tell her that wouldn't make me sound insane? “You just broke up with Jack, don't you think you're rushing it a bit.?”

Her frown deepened. “No.” she turned her full glower at me. “And you're one to talk. How fast did you know Shannon before you let him fuck you?”

“Hey! What the fuck Vee?”

“Oh, don't play innocent with me.” she moved over to the counter. “you've known him for a hot second and then you two are running off with one another and he's sleeping over like you two have been together forever. Something about Shannon is off for me.” she scoffed.

“You haven't even gotten to know him yet.” What in hell has gotten into her? “Ivy. God. You're actually judging me. Me. When you have a track record of bouncing from man to man. Listen to what you just said about being in love with man whom you've had, what, one conversation with. How is that right? Huh?” I was fully pissed. How dare she?

She continued frowning at me. “Jared said you wouldn't understand.”

“Oh, I bet he did.” I snarled out then it clicked.

Jared was in her head. Shit. He was taking this too far. He was fucking with my best friend. Shannon had warned me about how he would try to hurt
me, but I didn't even think he'd come after Ivy. He was going to pay.

Just then Maurice came in. He took in the situation and looked at us with wide surprised eyes. Ivy and I never argued, at least not about anything serious. Ivy seemed to be coming back to earth.

I took a deep breath to steady myself, then without a word to either of them I went to the basement, shutting the door behind me. I pulled out my phone and called Shannon. He answered on the second ring, and before he could get in one word I said, “We have a problem.”

.....


“You need to start talking.” I said to Shannon as we sat having lunch at a restaurant not far from the shop.

Ivy and I hadn't talked since this morning. I was still pissed, not at her, entirely, but at Jared. If he was in her head who knows what he could do to her. I didn't like this one bit.

Shannon pinched the bridge of his nose, and gave me a serious look. “What did Ivy say exactly?”

“I already told you.” I had when we talked on the phone this morning. “Now you tell me, is she in danger?”

“Not really.”

I frowned. “Not really? What does that mean?”

“Jared won't harm her. He's just trying to get to me, to you.”

“Well, let's meet him.”

He shook his head. “And then what Nikka? You can't talk reason with him.”

“So, we do what? Let him date my friend and I'm supposed to sit back and watch?” I shook my head and laughed darkly. “No.” I felt like punching something.

He crossed his arms over his chest and thought it over for a moment. “Fine. I'll speak with him.” he said through gritted teeth. He didn't like this idea, and if I was being honest neither did I.

“And I want to have a word with him too.”

“No.” he said, shaking his head.

“No?”

“Yeah, I said no, Nikka. I'm not going to let you.” he said it as if that made it final.

“You're not going to let me?” Was he fucking kidding me? “He's fucking with my friend. You just said he's trying to get to me, too. So I want to hear what the fucker has to say.” He leaned back in his chair and looked tired. “Do you know how to find him?”

“Yeah.” He took out his phone and dialed a number. He looked into my eyes. “Eat.” he told me before the person on the other end answered.

I crossed my arms over my chest defiantly. I didn't want to eat. A couple of people nearby gave me weird looks. I ignored them.

“You took long enough.” He said into the phone, his eyes never leaving mine. They looked normal, hazel, slightly green today, but as the conversation went on they darkened. He spoke too quick and low for me to follow and what I did catch sounded like some kind of code, random numbers and sayings. Inhuman in a sense. He hung up the phone and put it away.

“So?” I asked.

“Tonight.”

“We can meet him tonight?” Shannon nodded. Suddenly I felt scared. I remembered the first time Jared met me. In my bed. I shuddered.

Shannon reached over and put a hand on my arm. A small bit of electricity coursed thought me but I felt myself calm.“You don't have to do this.”

“I want to.” As I said it two people passed the table, they gave me strange looks, one even chuckled nervously. I took a deep breath. “You're invisible again, aren't you?” I asked once it dawned on me. He nodded. Great. Crazy Nikka makes another appearance. “Thanks for the heads up, babe.” I snarled out.

“You're welcome, doll.” Shan said with a bright smile and a sexy wink.

.....


The rest of the afternoon was spent in a weird state of fear and anticipation. Meeting Jared again scared the shit out of me. But what other choice did I have? Maybe he would give me a better understanding of his and Shannon's relationship. And why he wouldn't leave us the fuck alone. Or maybe he would make our lives a living hell just because he could.

Ivy and I sort of talked. Both of us apologizing for the things we said. I told her I would let her know about the double date. I tried to imagine the dueling Angel brothers actually sitting down to a meal with us humans. It almost seemed laughable. I wondered if they would rip each others throats out before our food arrived. Or could they manage something civilized. I doubt it. Just how did angels fight? Did they have any special powers? Could they die?

“Earth to Nikka?” Maurice said to me, bringing me back to reality.

“Huh?” I said stupidly. He pointed and I looked at the counter to see a man with long dark hair waiting. He was lean, medium height, and wore a long
sleeved striped shirt and skinny jeans. “Sorry. “I said as I got closer.

“No problem.” he said politely, his voice sweet. He was a nice looking man. He had a kind face, the face of someone you could easily trust.

“Ready?” I asked as I went behind the counter.

He nodded and I went through the stack of LP's he was buying. He had about thirteen. “Great choices.” I said to the man who was watching me with great interest.

“Thanks.” he replied, still not taking his eyes off of me. Warning bells were going off in my head. The words Angel and Demon sprang forward. His thin lips curved int a smile. “Sorry.” he apologized. “You're just very pretty.”

“Uh... thanks.” I said, feeling a tad bit uncomfortable. I finished ringing him up and placed his purchases in a crate. “Need me to carry this out for you?”

He laughed. “Now that wouldn't be very gentlemanly of me, now would it?”

“I suppose not.” I said, feeling myself relax.

“Thanks a lot Nikka.” he said. His eyes on mine. They were kind, gentle eyes, but beneath there was something stirring, something I couldn't decipher. “See ya.” then he left with his crate.

It took me a moment to realized something. I wasn't wearing a name tag. How had he known my name?

.....


“You don't have to be here.” Shannon said softly, tucking a curl behind my ear. I said nothing, just took his hand and we walked into the pub. Shannon had met me at my place after I got off at eight and we drove over to the meeting place the brothers had decided on.

The pub was empty, save for the young blonde bartender who was cleaning some glasses. I frowned as I looked around. There was pool table, dartboard, and other games off to the right side of the bar, towards the back. There were a few tables to the left, a small dance area and a jukebox in the corner and the walls were a dark wood with various pictures on them.

Shannon walked to the bar, I followed and we sat. The blonde bartender nodded, stopped what he was doing and began making drinks. He placed two lagers in front of us. “Thanks, Matt.” Shannon said then took a deep swig before sitting it back down. I felt too nervous to drink. "How long?" he asked the blonde man.

"A few minutes... maybe." The man responded.

I didn't know what they were on about. Shannon looked at me, his brow furrowed. He knew how I was feeling. He turned his body to me and began stroking my back, making tiny circles. I loved his touch and of course I forgot my troubles. That is until Jared came through the doors.

His brown hair was perfectly cut, his crystal blue eyes bright, a smile on his face. He wore all white. White slacks, white trench coat with a white dress shirt beneath it. Even white loafers.

Shannon on the other hand had opted for all black. Black leather jacket, black v neck tee, black jeans, black sneakers.

Jared was clean shaven whereas Shannon had a day old beard, which I found incredibly sexy.

Two sides of the same coin.

Once again Jared had those two massive twins, Henry and Harold, with him. They also wore all white. Matt, the bartender, was already making more drinks. “Brother.” Jared said as he got closer. Still smiling, his arms outstretched.

Shannon, his hand still touching my back, gave him a dirty look.

“Oh, fix that frown, Shannon.” Jared said. He narrowed his eyes at me. “Nikka, you're looking as lovely as ever.” I had worn loose fitting jeans, my Reebok classics, a blue jean jacket and a tank. I wanted to be comfortable, in case I needed to kick some ass, or make a run for it.

Shannon growled. I mean, actually growled like an animal. I put a hand on his shoulder.

“You're so touchy.” Jared said. “You're the one who called me here, remember. And I'm surprised actually. I hadn't expected to hear from you.” The bartender place the drinks down on the bar. Jared grabbed his and walked over to the pool table.

“Do you remember the game we used to play when we were younger, brother?” Jared asked, then took a sip of his vodka before taking of his coat and lying it on the pool table. “Nothing like these measly human games.” Shannon was still silent, murder in his eyes. “One thing I can say about the humans is they have excellent drink.” Jared continued speaking. “Nikka, I get the feeling you've got something to say.”

“That's cause I do.” I said to Jared. Those twins were behind him as sat his drink on the pool table and grabbed the darts.

I stood up to follow but Shannon put a hand on my stomach to stop me. “Come on.” I muttered to him. He reluctantly stood. Jared was aiming his darts at the board then threw them one by one by hit the bullseye perfectly I gulped.

“Don't bit your tongue,” Jared said to me.

“Leave Ivy alone.”

“Ivy?” he pretended to think, his eyes to the ceiling. “Ivy? Ivy? Oh, Ivy.” he smiled wickedly. “That dark haired beauty, your best friend.”

“Yeah, her.” I felt myself getting annoyed.

“No.”

“What?” I spat out.

“I like her.” he said as if I were dumb.

“Bullshit.” Shannon said before I could respond. “You can barely stand humans. I don't know what you're up to but leave Nikka and her friend alone.”

“So you're the only one who gets to consort with humans?” he said humans with a look of disgust. “Real double standard, brother?”

“What do you want?”

“With you?” Jared grabbed the dart again and took aim. Each dart landed perfectly again. “Nothing. Just to have my big brother back into the fold.”
Jared gave a big smile. Shannon rolled his eyes. Even I wasn't fooled.

“Well, you know I can't nor do I want to come back. And I don't understand why you came back here at all.”

“Oh.” Jared said, still smiling. “How about this. I know who you can get your wings back.”

I looked over at Shannon who was a few feet away. He didn't even seem slightly intrigued by what his brother had said. “Fuck you.”

“I'm serious.” Jared's smile was gone. He looked serious.

“And I'm supposed to believe you want to help me because?”

“We're family.” Jared whispered softly. He waved the twins away and they went back over the bar, watching us closely. Matt was watching too.

“Shannon, I know we've had our differences.”

Differences?” Shannon snarled, angrily. “What we had was more than just mere differences.”

“Even so, we are family. And I'm not the only one who misses you.” Shannon made a sound in the back of his throat. I move to stand nearer him, almost wanting to touch him but not sure if it would help or hurt the situation. “And I really know how you can get your wings back.”

“What? By a good deed or some shit like that.” Shannon chuckled darkly. “I'm not interested.What's done is done." Then his voice turned menacing. "Stay away from Nikka, Ivy, and if I hear about you coming near either of them again, I'll rip your heart from your chest and shove it down your fucking throat. Understand.”

Jared's face turned ugly as he stared at his brother. Then he spoke. But the words he said weren't English, or any language that I had ever heard. It was like sounded like music, and flowed like water. Shannon responded in the same fluid language. Their conversation went back and forth quickly. The pair of them seemed to get angrier. The twins almost came over before Jared stopped them. Both brothers seemed to have calmed down once they were done talking. But I felt lost. I had no clue what was going on.

“Shannon, care to explain?” I asked. He touched my face softly, there were tears in his eyes. A touch of sadness and anger danced on his handsome face. “Shannon?” I looked into his eyes.

“Let's go. There's nothing here for us.” He took my hand in his, gave it a squeeze.

“Ask the question Nikka.” Jared said. I turned to him. His eyes were watery as well. What had they been talking about?

“What question?”

“The one on the tip of your tongue. I promise to answer honestly.”

I looked back at Shannon who looked sadder. I didn't like that look on him. “Why do you hate each other so much?” I asked, my voice shaky.

Shannon's hand tighten on mine, almost in warning.

I turned back to Jared who had taken a few steps closer to us. “He hasn't told you a lot has he?” he shook his head sadly. “My dear, it's simple. He killed our mother.”