Status: On hiatus. Rewritting.

My Constant Companion

Trois

“On November 30th 1954, a Mrs. Hodges of Sylacauga, Alabama, became the only person on record to be injured by one of these.” Alex Trebek's voice sounded from the television.

I heard Shannon answer with enthusiasm as I made my way from the bathroom. “What is a comet?”

“What is a meteorite?” The man on TV answered a second later.

“Correct.” Alex Trebek said. I smiled.

“Ah. I thought I had that one. I was so close.” Shannon said.

He was lounging on my bed watching Jeopardy, again, when I got out of the shower. I rubbed the towel on my wet hair to help it dry faster. Shannon glanced up at me, eyebrow raised, when I sat at the foot of the bed.

“The Universe for $200 Alex.” The contestant on TV said.

“Horsehead, Triffid, and Crab are three examples of these clouds of interstellar matter.” Alex Trebek said.

“What... are...?” but Shannon didn't finish.

Someone buzzed in. “What are nebulae?” the contestant answered.

Shannon huffed. “I knew that.”

“Sure you did.” I laughed.

I felt him moving around behind me, but I didn't turn around. I was too busy trying to untangle my mess of hair. “Mm, you smell delicious, babe.” he growled, giving me a thrilling little shiver with those words.

“Thanks,” I said with a smile before I could stop myself. “I just showered, so I sure hope so.” I paused for a moment before asking. “Did you just say delicious and babe?”

“A little slow on the uptake tonight I see.”

I turned and stuck my tongue out at him, his warm laughter filled the air. For whatever reason I loved his laugh, it put me in a good mood, it was warm and hardy. I got up from the bed and pulled out my blow dryer, then thought better of it. I finally managed to get my hair to look somewhat normal using my brush. Shannon watched me through the mirror, ignoring Jeopardy all together. “What?” I asked.

“Nothing, doll face.”

“Stop calling me doll face.” I said with an eye roll.

“Okay, would you prefer?” His voice was wickedly low, “Babe, boo, lover, sugar, honey, sweet cheeks, angel, darlin', sexy, sex kitten, dirty filthy girl, fu-”

“Uh, doll is fine.” I murmured before he finished whatever filthy minded thing he planned on saying next.

He wore a satisfied smirk. “I knew you'd prefer it.” He got off the bed and stood behind me, his hands came to rest upon my robe clad hips. “So, what are we doing this fine evening? Watching Love, Actually, again?” He teased.

“Hey, shut up.”

He grinned as his head rested on my shoulder, something I have come to love, not that I would ever admit that out loud. I breathed in his sent, he smelled like honey and rain, a strange yet pleasant combination. And sometimes he just smelled like nature, the trees, the grass, the sunshine itself.

“I've got some papers to look through for the shop, and some other stuff I need to finish up, so sorry, no Love, Actually.”

“Aww, that sucks. You've got to do grownup work for once.”

“I'll have you know Mister, I Have No Last Name, I do grownup work all the time.”

He snorted. “If you say so.” He kissed my cheek, leaving a little tingling feeling there once his lips were gone. That sweet tingle and his smell were a bit intoxicating. He went back to his spot on the bed, I hid my smile and continued messing with my drying hair.

Once I finished with that, letting my hair air dry, I got dressed. Shannon watched me as I removed my robe, he raised an eyebrow, again, and smiled appreciatively when he saw my panties. They were cotton and girly, and had Superwoman written all over them in pink. He never admitted it but I think they were his favourite pair. It wasn't strange having Shannon watching me dress (or undress), I've grown very used to it by now. Privacy didn't really exist with Shan. I wasn't a skinny girl but I wasn't huge, I had curves, but Shan didn't seemed to mind one bit. He made me feel sexy, especially as his eyes roamed over my half naked body.

I pulled on my oversized John and Yoko tee, (earning a pout from Shan) a pair of cotton short shorts and grabbed my laptop and papers before joining him on the bed. He was now trying to figure out the final Jeopardy question so he paid me little mind as he concentrated. His hand came to rest on my leg, not in a seductive way, he just did it sometimes. I'm not sure he was even aware he was doing it.

I turned on the laptop and began working on paperwork for the shoppe. I spent the next few hours alternately talking to Shannon, watching Grey's Anatomy reruns on Lifetime, Shannon gave me his own commentary with each episode, most of it made me laugh out loud.and trying to focus on the emails I needed to respond to, among other things, like talking to my grandma on the phone for twenty minutes. Most of our evenings went that way. Since I was lame and had no social life I spent most of my time here. I was a homebody at heart, plus Shannon didn't seem to mind my boring little slice of life.

How I had gotten so comfortable with him was beyond me, I wasn't even sure what he was. It wasn't easy for me to feel get close to others. I blame it on my sheltered childhood, how even as a kid I was shy and awkward, and a little out of place, which only made me crave my solitude even more. Perhaps I created Shannon to help me cope with that loneliness that crept up on me more now that I was an adult. Maybe.

Around 1:30 am I was still working, this time on the design for our forthcoming website. I was sort of handy with computers and it was cheaper if I took a stab at it than to pay tech guy. We were on a tight budget.
I sat half slouched in front of my laptop, my eyes beginning to blur slightly. Shannon was seated wide legged behind me, his chin rested on my shoulder again, “Time for bed.” he told me, causing his chest to rumble against my back as he spoke.

“I've just got a few more things to do first.” I said around a stifled yawn.

“All of which can wait until you've had a good nights rest.” He rubbed my arms. “Shut it off and come to bed.”

I smiled sleepily and gave a half salute, “Aye aye, captain.” I closed the browser then shut my laptop down and placed it on my dresser. “Shannon, please will you tell me what you are?”

He sighed as he, standing on the other side of the bed, pulled the comforter back. “Not this again. I told you to guess.”

“A vampire.” I said the first thing that popped into my head.

He stared at me in disbelief. “A vampire?” He snorted. “Really, Nikka? A vampire?”

I threw my hands up. “I don't know, it's either that or I've got a brain tumor.” He began laughing. “Shut up.” I muttered at him.

“You don't have a tumor, I'm not a vampire, or a ghost or an delusion.”

“So?...”

“So, you needn't worry your pretty little head about it. Would it do you any good knowing right now?”

“Yes, it would make me feel like I wasn't crazy if you could just tell me why I can see you and no one else can.” I was afraid of losing my mind, always had been afraid I would for as long as I can remember.

“Others see me. You're just oblivious.”

I scoffed. “Don't lie to me Shan.”

“I'm not, doll. Get in bed.”

“No.”

He sighed heavily. “Please, you need your sleep. I promise I'll tell you something, soon.”

“I've heard that before.” I murmured, but got into bed all the same. I could drop the subject until tomorrow, plus I was exhausted.

Shannon turned off the light before climbing into bed himself. I wasn't sure if he slept, or simple stopped existing once I was asleep. Then pulling the covers over the two of us he said, “You're not crazy, my love.” before the safety of his strong arms pulled me to him. I felt the rise and fall of his chest as he snugged closer.

I shut my tired eyes and sighed and couldn't help but feel good. I was about to tell him if that I knew just what he was I could sleep easier, but that was a lie. Not knowing hadn't hurt me all this time and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with him, so did it really matter? I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, and Shannon would make sure my dreams were more than pleasant.

“Tomorrow is another day, sleep doll.” he murmured softly in my ear. I though to myself, this would be a pretty close to perfect moment, lying in his arms,... if it were real. If he were real.

.....


“His name is what, now?” I asked Ivy, half listening to what she was saying, I was distracted by the teenagers who were making out outside of the shop, tongues all over the place. Ah, teenagers.

“His name is Micheal. He's great. Nikka? Are you listening?” Ivy huffed out.

“Yup.” I said with a shake of my head. “Yup, he's called Micheal, and he's great. What is the point of this story?”

Ivy huffed. “I think he's perfect for you.”

Oh, here we go again. “V, thanks, but no thanks. I'm good.”

“You need to get out more Neek, I worry about you. You're like an old lady trapped in a twenty somethings body.”

“Hey, I happen to love little old ladies.” I said, mockingly offended.

“You know what I mean, you haven't dated in forever. I think he'll be good for you.”

I thought of Shannon, part of me wanted to tell her I had someone but then she' d want to meet him and that's where things got complicated. Speaking of Shannon, where was that naughty devil? I hadn't seen him since I fell asleep in the early hours of the morning. It wasn't unusual, days had gone by where his absence would make me lonely, but he'd return.

Maybe Ivy was right, if it made me sad when the figment of my imagination disappeared, then I was losing my grip on reality, and need to do something about it. Soon. But I hated dating, with a passion. “You said that about the last guy, V.” I said, remembering the disaster that had been.

“Well this one is a catch. Seriously. I'm going to set it up, a good push out of your comfort zone would do you good.”

I knew that she would be persistent until she got her way so why fight it. “Fine.” I said as I threw my hands up in the air in surrender. “Fine, I'll do it.” I didn't have to like it.

She smiled brightly. “Yay!” She exclaimed loudly. “You won't be disappointed.” Yeah, that's exactly what she said the last time.

.....


“So, you've got a date on Saturday?” Shannon drawled behind me as I washed my face.

“Yes, sir.” I frowned. “Is that a problem?”

He frowned back at me through the mirror, “Why would it be?”

I shrugged and laughed. “It was Ivy's idea.” I said defensively, “She thinks I need to be more social, or something.” I sighed. “I really don't want to do this. I don't even know the guy.” I bend down to the sink and splashed more water on my face to rid it of my cleanser. When I rose up, I looked at Shannon's face, he was scowling. “What's the matter, darling?” I said with a pout of my lower lip.

“Nothing. Ivy's right, you know. You should get out more.” His voice was hard and cold.

“Then why does it look and sound as if you're disgusted by the idea?”

“I'm a bit selfish. That's all.”

I patted my face dry then turned to him. I placed a hand on his hard chest. “Don't be like that Shan. I just need to do this, for my own sanity, actually. I don't suspect that anything will come of it.” He placed his hand on top of mine. “It'll be dinner, a movie, maybe, or whatever it is that people do on dates these days, then I'll be home.”

“Like I said, it's what you need to do.” He brushed my hand aside then walked away.

I didn't know what to think or say. I sighed and followed him into my room. He turned on the TV and sat at the foot of the bed. “Shan? Are you mad?” I asked as I put my hand on his arm.

He smirked and shook his head. “Like I said, I'm just a little selfish.” He wrapped an arm around my shoulder, reassuringly. “I could never be mad at you.” even though I knew it was a lie, I smiled anyway.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys, I had to post another chapter on today of all days. If you're reading this I'm sure you already know it's Shanimal's 42nd b-day today and he's looking damn good too, (well he always is) it must be those crazy Leto vampire genes, lol.
Anyway, happy birthday, you crazy, sexy Muddafugga! ;) And many, many more. Love ya!