Status: On hiatus. Rewritting.

My Constant Companion

Quatre

“I've got it.” I exclaimed. “You're my subconscious.”

Shannon laughed, “If I'm your subconscious, then you're really fucked up.”

“Okay, so I'm wrong, again. Give me a clue, a hint of some kind Shan.” I was really tired of not knowing. It was the next morning, Saturday, and Shannon sat across from me at my kitchen table as I ate breakfast, a big bowl of sugary cereal.

“Okay. Mind control.” he drawled.

I scrunched my face up, “That isn't a clue.”

“Yeah it is.” he said flippantly.

“A vampire has mind control, but you said you weren't one of those.”

“Mm-hmm.” he crossed his arms over his chest.

My mind got moving. “So, are you some kind of telepath? No, scratch that, that's stupid. You're a demon? An angel? An extraterrestrial?” He frowned at me. “What? I'm trying.” I crossed my arms over my chest, mimicking his pose.

“You're funny.”

“Ugh.” I muttered, “Another clue?" he shook his head, "Why do you have to make it so hard?”

He smiled. “I could ask you the same thing.”

“Ew.” I exclaimed, as his eyebrows raised, followed by a seductive wink.

He chucked, then said, “You're going to be late.”

“I told Ivy I wouldn't be in til twelve.” I said around a spoonful of sugary sweetness, it was only nine. “So stop trying to change the subject.”

“Even if I told you, you wouldn't believe me.”

I swallowed my cereal down. “Try me.”

“Not now.” He said as he stood and began stretching, his arms raised above his head. He was wearing a gray tee, slightly baggy jeans and colourful sneakers. “You've got a big day ahead of you. You don't need any distractions.”

“Don't remind me.” I muttered. “Just tell me Shan.” but he ignored me and walked away, headed towards my bedroom. “Hey!” I exclaimed, “Come back, I wasn't done with you.”

“Yeah. Well, too bad.” I heard him say, amused I'm sure.

“Bastard.” I muttered as I ate another spoonful. “You're ridiculous!” I shouted after I swallowed. Then I wondered if my neighbors could hear me.

“You're ridiculous.” He mocked in a girly voice.

“Ugh!” I grunted in frustration, and I heard him do the same. “Real mature.”

“Who said I was mature?” He shouted out to me. I could hear music playing.

“You better not be messing with my records.” I said as I got up and went to my room.

Shannon was standing there, Queen's Sheer Heart Attack LP in his hands, eyes closed, a smirk playing on his lips. He reached his right hand out and turned the volume up. In the sunlight coming in from the window he seemed to glow. He was beautiful, and exotic somehow. I walked over to him as 'Brighton Rock' blasted through the speakers.

“You like Queen?” I asked.

“Who doesn't?” he asked back as if I was stupid for even asking the question. Opening his eyes to slits to see me, his smirk turned into a wide grin. I turned away from him, smiling myself. “How come you don't dance?”

I turned back to him. “That's a strange question to ask out of the blue.”

“Well?”

I shrugged. “I can't.”

“Bullshit. I'm going to take you dancing.”

“Whatever.” I said as I walked over to the closet and began searching for something to wear. I ignored my dresser stuff that was in the back, I'll deal with that when the time came later on today.

“Seriously.” He said. He's too happy, I thought, as I looked at him and saw how big his smile was. I looked down at myself, thinking maybe I had spilled something on t-shirt, or that my hair was mused or something.

“Why are you smiling?” I asked, brow furrowing.

“What? I can't smile without a reason?”

“No. But you're being weird.”

“You're weird. Now shut up, the best parts coming up.”

“Did you just tell me to shut-” He silenced me with a finger, not the one you're thinking of though. I huffed a frustrated sigh, as the amazing guitar solo started. I admit it, it is the best part, but he didn't have to shut me up. Geez Louise.

I watch him as he mimicked playing a guitar, his head thrown back, clearly feeling it. I smiled and leaned against the wall by my closet and simply watched. He looked fucking good. I thought of throwing him onto the bed and undressing him.

Whoa, Nikka, slow down. As if sensing my thoughts, Shannon opened his eyes and turned his gaze to my face. By the look in those hazel eyes, I knew he was thinking the same thing. I turned away quickly before I did something crazy. I had to steady my breathing, trying to rid my head of those dirty thoughts that had risen to the surface.

All of those dreams Shannon starred in came to mind, the feel of his hand on my skin, his lips on mine, the electricity between us as we... I licked my lips and drew in a shaky breath. I turned back around.

“Jesus, Shannon!” I exclaimed. He was standing right behind me, his scent sweet and making those thought surface again.

He smiled and grabbed my hand. “Let's dance.” his other hand grabbed my hip, pulling me out into the room and closer to him.

“What?” I asked, feeling sweaty and under dressed all of a sudden.

“Dance.” 'Killer Queen' was just going off, leading into 'Tenement Funster'. His hips swayed and he moved mine with his hands. “Come on, doll. You know, you want to.”

“Shannon, I've got to get ready.” I said pulling away.

“Nonsense.” He pulled me back to him, closer than before somehow, “Relax, will ya.” He said around a laugh, “You have hours. This will only take minutes.” He looked down at me. “Move that body of yours, doll.”

“You're a horn dog. You know that right?”

“So what does that make you?” he said, his lips brushing my forehead, sending tingles down my spine. I couldn't help but laugh at that. What did that make me, indeed. Despite trying to pull away I could help it as my head resting against my friends chest, as we swayed to the music. “Was that so bad?” he asked softly.

I pulled back to have a good look at him, he still had that glow from the sunlight and now smelled like freshly mowed grass. “How do you do that?”

He frowned, then smiled, “What? My charm?”

I curled my lip up at him, “Uh, no. You're scent?”

“What about it?”

“Seriously? Don't play dumb.”

“I'm not. What do I smell like?”

“Heaven.” I blurted out before I could help it.

He raised and eyebrow, then laughed. “Well, isn't that nice.”

“I didn't mean that.”

“Sure you didn't.” he spun my around as 'Now I'm Here', reached it's first chorus, then pulled me roughly back to him, his hand firmly on my back and up my shirt.

“Hey!”

“Sorry.” he said but didn't move it, instead he dipped me low, making my hair fall out of it's sloppy ponytail. “Look at you, looking all sexy.” he growled as he brought me upright, my hair in disarray.

I kept silent, as he moved us slightly faster to the music, his other hand in mine. Then soon song reached it's end. Shannon still hadn't removed his hand from my back, and he was still swaying our bodies slightly as I heard the needle gliding to a stop. Shannon released me then, “Wasn't that fun?”

I only muttered, “Whatever.” yeah, it really had been... interesting.

He moved over to the record player and the music of Side Two started. Quickly heading into my closet to avoid another impromptu dance, I got dressed as Shannon played more Queen. Looking at the alarm clock, on my nightstand, a while later, I got ready to go.

“You're not coming?” I asked. He shook his head. “You'll be here when I get off, right?” I liked idea that more than I should.

“Of course.” he said, kissing my cheek and waving me off. “Get outta here, kid.”

.....


I worked until six and now evening was finally here and I had my blind date with the man named Micheal. He was a friend of a friend, of a friend, of one of Ivy's cousins and came with a good recommendation from my bestie. I wasn't sure whether that was good or not, but Ivy was uber excited about tonight.

It has been a long time since I've been on anything that would come close to being called a date. I was nervous but Ivy kept telling me about how nice, good looking, smart, he was and that he had a good job, and a sense of humour, all the things I looked for in a guy. It could go well except for the unforeseen problem Ivy couldn't have thought of. Shannon.

He watched me as I slipped on my pink and white strapless dress, his eyes hungry. “I could rip that off of you in two seconds flat.” he said with a lick of his sexy lips.

“Shannon. Not tonight.” I said sternly, even though those words were doing things to me you wouldn't believe.

“Relax. You look lovely by the way.” He came over and zipped me up when he saw that I was struggling with the zipper.

“Thanks.” I said as I adjusted the top of the dress again, I was afraid my breast were going to accidentally spill out.

“Eatable, actually.” He chuckled low and deep at my expression.

I closed my eyes in a long blink. God I hated him. I finished touching up my makeup. I had straightened my loose curls, a process that had taken forever by the way, it was now hanging down just past my breast and parted to the left, showing off my new streaks of hot pink and bright blue. Shannon gave me an approving nod as I slipped on my rainbow coloured slingback pumps.

“You plan on fucking him tonight?”

I huffed. “Really? Is it all sex, all the time with you?”

“I am male, so yes. Plus those heels scream, 'bend me over and fuck me hard'.”

“I'm changing.” I said suddenly, about to bend down to take them off.

“Relax, doll.” He stood behind me, our heights now matching, and massaged my shoulders. “Keep them on.”

It felt good, my tension melted away. Shannon's strong hands rubbed my bare skin, I closed my eyes and sighed. “Thanks.”

“What are friends for?” he growled low in my ear. “So you haven't met him yet, scared?”

“A little. Oh, right there.” I half moaned suddenly when his fingers found a spot on my upper back that sent shivers to all the right places.

He chuckled, “Yes, my queen.” and Shannon obediently did as he was told. I would have gotten more lost in his touch if I hadn't remembered my date.

I sighed. “I have to go.”

“You really don't have to.” Shannon whispered temptingly.

“As temping as it is to stay here, I need to do this. It's what normal people do. Go on dates, get out of the house, not get rubdowns from their imaginary friend.”

“How imaginary can I be if I can give you a rubdown?” He said as his hands continued their irresistible massage.

“Good question.” I touched his hands with mine to indicate I wanted him to stop and reluctantly he did. I took a deep breath and grabbed my light blue jean jacket and white clutch. “See you when I get back?”

“Yes, my queen.” He gave a devious little grin.

“Do I look okay?” I asked nervously as I took another glance at myself in the mirror.

“Are you kidding?”

I tugged the dress up again. “Maybe I should have worn something more covered up.” I was a busty gal and strapless wasn't always my friend.

Shan gave a sexy chuckle, “And deprive me of the glory that is your voluptuous body.” He shook his head, “No, that dress is like heaven.” he turned me to face around him and placed his hands on my hips, then ran them up and down the sides of my body, several times, his eyes never leaving mine. I swallowed hard and shut my eyes. No need to have Shannon getting me all hot and bothered before I met this man.

“Shannon...”

“I know, I know. But it's true, you're a goddess, even if you don't see it.”

I gave him a small smile, he talked about me at times as if I was something special. “Don't you follow me. I mean it Shan.” I said when I couldn't think of any way to reply to his words.

He put his hands up, defensively, innocently. “I won't.” I gave him a strict look before I left the bedroom. “Have fun, doll.” He shouted as I left the apartment.

.....


The restaurant was located across the river. I rarely used my car since mostly everything I need was in walking distance. But since I was wearing my four inch pumps, I drove to the place that would have normally taken me twenty five minutes or more to walk to.

I parked in the garage there, and after taking the elevator upstairs, I stood outside of the restaurant called Louie's, waiting. The evening was supposed to be more on the casual side, which suited me fine, I wasn't good at doing anything fancy anyway.

I had only a general description of Micheal but I knew him once he came into my sight. He was tall, nearly six feet, had short dark blonde hair, pale skin, a bit on the thin side but Ivy was right, he was good looking. He wore dark slacks, with a button down silk shirt and a dark blazer. He smiled as he got closer.

“Nikka?”

“Yes. You must be Micheal. Nice to meet you.” I said, extending my hand to him. He took it in his and gave it a kiss. A bit cheesy I'll admit, but I smiled it all the same.

“Pleasures all mine.” he said, his voice soft. “Let's head in.”

The hostess seated us at a booth, and left us menus and a server came round to get our drink order.

After she left Micheal asked, “So tell me about yourself.” I noticed he had hazel eyes, that made me think of Shannon. I quickly brought my mind back to the present before other thoughts took over.

“Well, what would you like to know? I'm horrible when it comes to talking about myself.”

“Well, I heard you and Ivy owned a shop together.”

“Yeah. We sell LP's and CD's. We've been at for more than a year now.”

“I assume business is good.”

“Yes it is.” I smiled.

“So young and already an entrepreneur.” he said it with a sly smile.

“Please. You say that as if you're so old.”

“I'm older than you. How old are you really? You look younger than twenty four.”

I wasn't sure if he meant that or if he was just trying to pay me a compliment, but I said, “I am twenty four. I get that a lot though.”

“And apparently you don't mind older men.”

“You're what, twenty nine? Thirty?” I guessed, he didn't really look that much older than me.

“Thirty four.”

“Really?” I said in surprise.“What great genes you have.” he smiled. “What about you. Profession?”

“Criminal lawyer.”

“Oh, really.”

“Yes. Exciting work.”

“I bet.” The server returned with our drinks and took our order. Micheal was easy to talk to, kind, respectable,albeit a little cocky. I noticed it in his eyes, he knew he was gorgeous, charming, smart, a lawyer nonetheless, so he felt he had every right to be. I could ignore it. I guess.

We ate our meal and talked about our lives a bit more. In comparison my life was boring, he talked about his cases, his colleagues, his dogs, I'm an animal lover so I ate that up. I didn't have much to say which is why I stayed away from dating. I'm not good at bragging about myself or the thing I have, I don't have much to begin with beside the shop and Ivy and I only had it because of her father's help. He had helped us manage it when we were first starting out and didn't have a clue as to how to properly run a business.

Micheal excused himself to go to the restroom, our meals had arrived not long before that. I checked my makeup with the compact I had in my clutch in his absence. I smoothed out my hair, made sure my teeth were free of food, and that my dress was still in it's rightful place.

“Having fun, doll.” I froze when I heard that voice.

Was it in my head?

I looked up and found Shannon seated across from me, where Micheal had just sat. Shades on, leather jacket, all rock star like, leaning back, casual and relaxed.

“Well?” he asked.