Status: On hiatus. Rewritting.

My Constant Companion

Cinq

“What are you doing here?” I asked in a harsh whisper, looking around to make sure no one saw me talking to myself.

“Making sure he doesn't try to drug and rape you.” Shannon said, as if it were obvious. “You are a beautiful creature. I couldn't blame him if the thought of having his filthy way with you crossed his little mind.”

“What if he tried? Just what are you going to do about it?” I put my hand up when it looked like he was going to respond. “Don't answer that. He isn't going to drug and rape me.”

“How do you know? Looks are deceiving.” he had his elbows resting on the table now, thumbs innocently under his chin, like a kid.

“Just leave.”

“So, you like him?” he asked as he picked up a piece of asparagus from Micheal's plate, sniffed it, then tossed it back down.

I sighed, “He's nice.”

“Mm-hmm.”

“And he's coming back. Go.” I hissed.

“Fine.” he stood up and began walking away. I turned to watch Micheal coming back on my right and when I turned back to my left, Shannon was nowhere in sight.

Micheal sat down and smiled. “Miss me?” he joked. I smiled back. That was lame, did I miss him, but cute. God, I really need to get out more if I thought that was cute. “I meant to ask you about your tattoo.” he pointed to my inner left wrist with his fork.

“Oh that. It's 'Bliss' in Arabic.” I explained. Ivy had 'Serenity' in Arabic on her right wrist, our version of matching tattoos.

“Why Arabic? Most people get Chinese symbols or something.”

“Well, I like the way the language looks.” I couldn't read his face, but he asked if I had anymore tattoos. “A few, all small.” I showed him the two koi fish swimming on my upper back on the right, which he didn't see at first because I had my jacket on when we walked in. The roman numerals of the numbers fourteen, twenty three, and sixteen on the underside of my upper right arm. The Capricorn symbol on the back of my right calf and the stars on my left foot were partially hidden beneath my black patterned tights. He gave me a half frown. “Not a tattoo person I take it.”

He had stabbed the same piece of asparagus Shannon had held with his fork. “No, they're okay, I'm just not a big fan of them on woman, especially women as lovely as you are.”

Strike one. Or maybe strike two, one could be his cockiness.

“Well I think they're an extension of one's personality.” I told him honestly as he brought his fork to his mouth.

“I think they are incredibly sexy, doll. Especially the koi.” Out the corner of my left eye I saw Shannon's smiling face as he seated himself next to me in the booth. Where had he come from? I found myself moving over to the right to give him a little room. I made sure to keep my eyes on Micheal and not look over as Shannon's arm rubbed against mine. “He doesn't appreciate art. What a pity.” I took a bite of my own food just to have something to do.

“Well, at least you aren't covered in them like that Kat von D lady.” Micheal said with a disgusted face.

“I love Kat von D.” I said defensively. “She probably one of the only people who could pull that look off.” Calm down, I told myself, so he doesn't like your tattoos, big whoop. “Do you have any?”

“Nah.”

“Cause he's a pussy.” Shannon mumbled. He was making it hard to ignore him.

“Never wanted one?” I asked Micheal.

He said, “When I was younger, yes.”

“You should get at least one. Something small, put it in a place where, if you don't want everyone to see they won't.”

Maybe it's because I said it with a smile, that I felt his knee brush against mine. Oh boy, I hadn't meant it like that.

“Maybe I will.” he gave me sly smile.

“He wants to fuck you.” Shannon informed me, “I told you about those damn shoes. Well, and that face... and those curves.” I kept that face impassive. Go away Shannon, I thought in my head, if he truly is a figment of my imagination he would be able to hear it. “He's been staring at your tits a lot too, they are looking rather supple tonight, if I do say so myself.”

I was blushing, I didn't want Micheal to think it was because of him. I moved my leg away from his, no need to give him false hope. I don't fuck anyone on the first date, well I haven't had to put that rule into action much considering I haven't had many first date but still. He wasn't getting any. Micheal smile grew smaller.

The server returned and asked if we wanted dessert and, without having asked me, Micheal ordered us both a slice of chocolate cake. Not that I minded. “Ooh, how romantic.” Shannon added, a slight annoyance to his voice now.

Micheal was making small talk, getting away from the tattoo topic. He asked about my family, but I didn't go into too many details about that though. I didn't really like to talk about my family history much. I was raised by a single mother and her mother. My grandma was amazing, when I was a child and my mom was ill and having some issue, she made sure I got to school, had food in my belly, and that I stayed on the straight and narrow. She raised me right, well, I liked to believe so.

So I switched the topic and we talked about our hobbies and interest instead. He liked old films as did I, and he loved contemporary art, and I told him I loved reading. I found out that he was a music lover, too, which is a plus. Also that he plays piano and violin. I played the guitar, a little, and could rock 'Chop Sticks' like no other on the piano, but that was the end of my musical talents. Well, I sing too, but only in front of Ivy, or when alone, and Shannon had heard me, but I didn't ask his opinion on my vocal skills. And surprisingly Shan was quiet for those few minutes while we talked.

The dessert was delivered to our table. I took my fork and dug in. It was heavenly. I saw Micheal smile and his eyes went to my full lips as I chewed, making me feel self conscious, as he licked his own. Shannon began talking about chocolate being an aphrodisiac, well he said the way that he uses it, it was. I nearly chocked.

Micheal was speaking, but I'm not quite sure what he was saying cause at that moment Shannon's hand was up my dress, caressing my inner thigh. I felt my eyes grow wider, I probably looked like a madwoman.

Micheal gave a worried smile as I put one of my hands on my bowed head and shut my eyes, a soft moan escaped my lips and I tried to cover it up by giving turning it into a grunt. Shannon's fingertips ran up and down the length of my thighs, ever so lightly brushing my panties when they reached the top of their journey before heading back down again. I tried to close my legs which was impossible considering his hand was there, plus he thought it meant I wanted more.

His lovely lips were by my ear, they kissed my ear, just above my earring. Then I felt his tongue lightly lick, before he gave it nibble. Oh god, not now. I felt my thighs beginning to tremble as he roughly gripped my flesh. Why was he doing this to me? I looked at him out of the corner of my slitted eyes, he wore a satisfied smirk.

“Uh, sorry.” I said to Micheal once I felt like I could actually form words. “I'm getting a sudden headache.”

“I'm sorry. Do you need any aspirin?”

“No.” my voice squeaked. I looked at his face, he looked so sweet and understanding. “Uh, I've got some, thank you. Will you, ah, excuse me while I go to the little girls room?”

“Go right ahead.”

I shoved Shannon's hand away and half pushed him so I could get out of the booth. I'm not sure what that looked like to Micheal. I swiftly walked to the restroom, Shannon wasn't too far behind. Once inside I made sure it was empty before I locked the door.

“You!” I poked my finger at Shan's chest. He burst into laughter. “You make me sick. Why would you do that?”

“Oh, come on, doll. You loved it.” he said seductively as he pushed my hair behind my ear. “Let's go home so I can show you what a real man can do.”

You. Are. Not. Real.” I said through gritted teeth, trying to ignore the good feeling that was getting me hot in all the wrong places. Or was that all the right places? I rolled my eyes to defect it. “Can't I just go on one fucking date without you interfering? Huh? You said you were okay with this. You said you wouldn't follow.”

“I didn't.” he said in a deep voice, scowling. “Do you want me to go?” he sounded hurt.

“Yes. Please, Shannon.” I pleaded. “Please just let me have one normal night.”

He had taken off his shades, his hazel eyes now bore into mine. “Alright, doll.” he took a step back from me, a small smile that didn't touch his eyes was briefly on his face before his scowl returned.

“Promise me you won't interfere again.”

“I promise.” he drawled. Then he put the shades back on and said, “Just don't let him feel you up beneath the table. That's my job.” and with that he opened the door and disappeared.

It was what I had wanted, so why did it hurt me to see him actually go?

.....


“You okay, Nikka?” Ivy asked as we sat on the couch at her place that sunny Sunday afternoon.

“Oh, uh, yeah. I just keep getting these headaches,” I said as I lowered my head and rubbed my temples. “they're starting to become very annoying.” as I said the last word I looked up at Shan's face. He smirked as he sat comfortably in the chair he occupied, Ivy, who was painting her nails a bright shade of green, was, as always, completely unaware of his presence.

“Did you take something?”

“No. It doesn't seem to help. It goes away only to return more persistent than before.” I cocked my head to one side. “Go.” I mouthed to him, my hand hiding my mouth from Ivy's view.

He mouthed, “Never.” back at me.

Ivy gave me a sympathetic look. “That's not good.”

“I'll be fine.”

“So, how was your date?” Ivy asked once I lifted my head up. She had her feet on her coffee table as she finished her toenails and beginning on her fingers.

Shannon crossed his arms and leaned back, waiting to hear how the rest of the evening went. As promised he didn't return and let me be last night. I rolled my eyes at him. “Uh. It was okay. For the most part.”

Ivy's blue eyes got big, “Details. Details.”

“Alright, geez.” I said with laugh. “He was nice, he was real nice.” I said as I looked down again.

“What did he do? Oh, did he try to kiss and you had to read him his rights?”

I laughed again. “No, he was a bit cocky is all. And he didn't like my tats.”

“Okay.” she said as if that could be overlooked. “But tell me, what did you two talk about? What did you do?”

Shannon was keeping quiet, his feet up on the coffee table, his hands laced behind his head now. So I told her about my first half of the evening, minus Shannon's appearances of course. “After dinner we went and saw that new Gerard Butler movie.”

“Ooh, was it good?” she asked excitingly.

“Yeah.” we spent a minute talking about the film, “Then he took me out for ice cream.” Shannon snorted.

“What?” I whispered to him.

Ivy didn't seem to notice. “And?” she asked eagerly.

“And, what? He walked me back to my car, and that was that. No kissing, no hanky panky, just a quick hug goodbye and I went home.” and Shannon hadn't been there. He only showed up as I left out to come over to Ivy's place an hour ago. He didn't ask about the date, I guess because he knew I would tell her anyway, so he could wait.

“So, are you going to see him again?” Ivy asked as she blew her nails dry.

“Yeah, you gonna see him again?” Shannon asked, leaning forward, grinning, his eyes looking darker than usual.

“I dunno. He's nice but I didn't feel a connection, or get that, I've got to see him again or I'll die, feeling.”

“Not like you get with me, huh?” Shannon said as he smirked.

“You never get that feeling.” Ivy said. “That's why you're alone.”

“Hey!” I exclaimed, “That's not nice. I'm not alone.”

“Really?” disbelief was on her pale face. “So have you met someone and you haven't told me about him yet?”

“Maybe.” I glanced in Shan's direction. What was I saying?

“Who? Tell me.”

“Uh, it's nothing.”

“So I'm nothing now?” Shannon asked, annoyed.

“Shut up.” I muttered.

“What?” Ivy asked.

“Nothing.” I blushed in embarrassment.

“So tell me.”

“Just forget it.” I said and began asking her about the new guy she's had an eye on and that was enough of a distraction to keep her from asking anymore about my mystery man or my date. Shannon watched us as we chatted and then we ate some leftovers Ivy's mom had brought over to her yesterday, but kept quiet, his eyes narrowing at me from time to time.

I stayed until just after eight in the evening and drove home, a still silent Shannon at my side. “Why are you so quiet?” I asked as we got closer to home.

“I'm thinking.” he mutter, his eyes shut, his head leaning against the headrest, arms crossed, hostile.

“Okay.” I ignored him after that as much as he ignored me. I wasn't sure if he was jealous or mad about my date last night and just sulking, but he didn't seem like he wanted to be bothered.

“So, what really happened last night after I left.?” he asked, breaking the silence as we got closer to home.

“You heard me. Nothing really happened. We saw a movie, had ice cream and that was that.” And that was the truth.

“Mm-hmm.”

“Mm-hmm, what?”

“Nothing, doll.” he went back to sulking after that. God, he could be so frustrating at times, that's for sure.

I parked and we got out, Shannon close enough behind me for me to feel his presence, his footsteps silent. Which got me thinking. I never can hear him as he walked, and that thought lead to a whole host of others. Once inside of my apartment, I slipped my jacket and shoes off, then hung my purse up. Shannon went straight to the bedroom before I could say one word to him.

I huffed out a huge breath and checked the messages on my house phone just to have something to do while I figured out how I was going to get Shannon to open up to me. My grandma called again, she wanted me to come over for dinner this Sunday, the rest of the messages were nothing important.

I slowly walked into my room and found Shannon at the window, looking out to the sky. “It's going to storm soon.” he murmured.

I glanced at him, undressed and slipped into a pair of shorts and a tee, then sat down on the bed, watching him. Shannon didn't turn away from the window and soon small rain droplets were hitting the glass of the window. He sighed, then said, “I'm not mad, just so you know.”

“So... what's wrong then?”

He avoided the question, “Just ask me what you're planning on asking.”

I frowned. “What makes you think I wanted to ask you anything?”

“I can read you, doll.” he said, as he glanced at me from the corner of his eye. “It's obvious.”

I waited another minute before I asked, “Are you human?”

He stood there stock still, his hazel eyes, in the dim light of my room, were ablaze. And he wanted me to believe he wasn't mad. “Define human?”

I threw my legs over the side of the bed, and sat facing the left side of his stiff body. “Stop playing games.” I waited and still he wouldn't answer. “You promised to tell me.” I said as I wrapped my arms over my middle, suddenly feeling tired. And I was really tired of him giving me the run around. As always all of my internet searches came up empty, all the book I thought to read helped me not, and my own mind couldn't piece Shannon together. So I was more than determined to crack the mystery wide open. Tonight.

“Shit, Nikka. Can't it wait?” he exclaimed angrily as he turned to face me, looking down at me from where he stood, all but two feet away.

I stood my ground. “I have waited. For more than a month now. It's time I knew. Or am I just crazy after all?”

He began pacing, not answering me, the light from my lamp casting his shadow strangely against the wall. His head down, as he mutter something I couldn't hear. I stood up got closer to him, his anger, whether at me or something else, clearly evident. It seemed to roll off him, sending his honey and rainwater scent to me strongly.

“Fine!” he exclaimed, then began lifting his shirt above his head, as the rain began picking up outside and thunder boomed someplace not too far away.

“Um, okay.” I said, confused. He threw his shirt to the ground, reveling his strong chest. His eyes glowing, looking more green now as they looked into my own brown ones. With a hard look, he turned around and I gasped as I saw his back.

Scars were all over his skin, some looked like lashes you'd get from being whipped, others like cuts, but two really stood out. They were in the shape of a V, but the bottom didn't connect, and each was longer than my hands, starting just below his shoulder blades and ending below his ribcage. I stared in wide eyed concern and shock.

“Who did this too you? What are these scars?” my voice was barely above a whisper.

“Punishment.” he said in a low voice. The rain plastered the window heavily. He didn't turn around, nor did he flinch as my hands glided over the smaller, less prominent scars. Their were lots of them, some looked as if they were very old.

“Punishment? For what?” my voice shook as I asked.

“For what I had become.” his voice was ice cold. Lightening flashed in the sky and the light flickered.

I frowned even though he couldn't see it. “Shannon,” I spoke softly. “what are these two?” I think I knew, but my mind couldn't quite wrap around the idea of it.

“You can touch them if you like.” he said, choosing not answering me.

I placed a shaky finger on one of the deep red scars. They were raised, and I was afraid I was hurting him, they looked tender, his muscles tensed, I heard him give a soft sigh though.

“Shannon? Who hurt you?” I asked against his back.

“My kind.” he said, finally turning back to me look at me. His kind? There were small scars on his chest and stomach that I hadn't noticed at first. The thunder and lightening and rain outside making this moment even more intense and strange. His eyes were hard, yet held tears as he said, “Angels.”