Status: On hiatus. Rewritting.

My Constant Companion

Sept

Shannon's lips were brushing my stomach when I woke up, tickling me. “Morning, love.” he said softly.

“Morning.” I repeated, a bit dreamy.

“Do you remember the first morning you woke up in bed with me?” he asked softly. I was on my back and his hands were on my hips.

How could I forget? “Yeah. Why?

“I was just thinking about it.”

“Mm-hmm.” I moved my head to get a better look at him. He lifted his head up and smiled at me. Slowly he crawled up my body until his face was above mine. I put a hand on his chest.

“You were scared of me.” he said as he remembered.

“I didn't know what you were.”

“But you keep me around anyway.”

“I didn't know how to get rid of you.”

He chuckled. “How bout now? You plan on getting rid of me?”

I touched his face. “Now why would I want to do that?”

“Good answer.” He kissed me softly before rolling over me to get out of bed. He threw the curtains back, making the sunlight flood the room. I squinted my eyes as he stood there, his top half still bare, the scars on his strong back standing out even more in the daylight. He seemed to glow as he stretched and turned to face me. “Time to get up.”

“But I don't wanna go to school.” I murmured like a kid as I rolled over onto my belly and threw the covers over my head. Shannon's threw them back and his hands touched the back of my bare thighs.

“Too bad. Get up doll.” he murmured in my ear.

I rolled back over and stared at his chest in the morning light. “Did you used to have a halo?”

He snorted. “No.”

I moved my eyes up to his face. “If there are angels then, are their demons too, right?” I asked again since he refused to answer that for me last night.

“Yes.” he said quietly.

“Really?” I sat up, the straps of my camisole coming down, his eyes went to my breast. “What does a demon look like?”

“Can we talk about this later?” his eyes moved up to mine. “When you get home?”

“Nope.”

“Fine.” he rolled his eyes. “They aren't like the stories say either. They look human. But they have wings like us.” his voice hardened on the word us. “They hide beneath our skin, and look like a tattoo or a some other sort of marking.”

“So that's how you all hide your wings.”

“Mm-hmm.”

“And the demons do bad things?” I thought about all the things my grandma used say about demons, how they tried to corrupt your soul, make you dark and evil like them.

“Everything isn't all black and white.”

“Meaning? Some demons are good?”

“I wouldn't say good, just not like people peg them to be.”

“Like how some angels are dangerous?” Like the ones who harmed him.

He raised an eyebrow at me. “Dangerous, yes. Now you're getting it.” he smiled and lifted me off of the bed.

“Now it's time to get ready. You do have a job to get to, you know.”

“Yeah, yeah. Don't remind me.” So I began getting ready, I took a quick shower and let my mind wonder.

Just so you know, Shannon and I didn't get much further than some very sexy foreplay last night. I don't know how I feel about having sex with a non human creature just yet. Not that it wasn't tempting. He even came into the shower with me. “I thought maybe you needed help cleaning your back.” was his excuse. Things got a bit hot and heavy from there, but as usual I stopped myself before we took it too far, much to his disappointment, and a little to mine.

I got dressed as Shannon got me a bowl of cereal. I ate and tried to pester him with more questions but he wasn't budging. “You have plenty of time to find out about these things. Relax.” he told me.

“But there is this whole other world out there, with other creatures-”

“Species.” he corrected.

“Species, who I hadn't even known existed. And you're telling me to relax. Shannon this is like discovering a new habitable planet and it's been right there in plain sight forever, but you haven''t been able to see it properly... or something.”

“Are you going to tell Ivy?” his voice was heavy.

“No. She'd think I was off my rocker.” but then I thought maybe having Ivy in the know wouldn't be such a bad thing. But until I knew more about Shannon and his people, I could keep quiet. “Are you ever going to revel yourself to her?”

“Yes. In time.”

“Are you going to walk with me today?”

“Nope.” he said softly.

“I promise not to ask too many questions.”

“That's not it. I just have some things to do.”

“Oh.” was all I said. I almost pouted in disappointment. It had never occurred to me that he'd have plans. I now had to remember that Shan was real, not some person I had dreamed up. He had a life, even though he was with me most of the time, there were going to be times when he wasn't. “Will you be back when I get home?”

“Yes.” he leaned over and kissed my cheek. “Don't worry.”

I scrunched my face up at him. “I wasn't worried.”

He looked at me skeptically. “If you say so.”

.....


Work dragged on more than usual and I felt restless and wanted to run home, asap. There was so much I needed to know and I felt like time was making me wait on purpose.

“What's on your mind Nikka?” Ivy asked me after I checked out a customer. It was around four in the afternoon and my mind for most of the day distracted, of course.

“I'm fine.”

“No you're not.” she came behind the counter with me, so we could have a semi private conversation. “I know you and something is going on.”

“Nothing is going on.” I said, a bit unconvincing.

“Uh huh.” She huffed then said, “Since you won't talk, I have something to ask you.”

“Whatever it is, the answer is no.” I said as I looked around at the mostly empty shop. Devon was the only one, besides us, who was still here, he was currently in the back, taking inventory. Maurice and Melissa left an hour ago, since we were slow.

“Nikka, you don't even know what it is.”

“It's you Ivy, so I know it can't be good.”

She rolled her eyes and said, “What are you doing this Saturday night?”

“Closing up. Remember?”

“After? I know you're free, so here's what I'm thinking.”

“Wow. Am I so predictable that you automatically assume I don't have plans.”

“Yes. I know you well.” That was true enough.

“What's happening Saturday night.” I knew whatever it was I wasn't going to like it.

“The Black Keys show.”

“That's this Saturday?”

“Duh? God Neek, you'd forget your head if it wasn't attached.”

“You've got tickets?”

“Yup. For all of us.” she smiled widely. I didn't trust that smile.

“And just who is all of us?” she was up to something.

She began counting people off with her fingers. “Well, Melissa, her guy, Devon, and whoever he wants to bring, Maurice, he might come alone, Anthony,” Anthony was Melissa's brother and Ivy's cousin, “Jack,” the new object of Ivy's affection, I hadn't met him yet, so this should be interesting. “Everyone seems to have dates, so I invited Micheal too.”

“Ivy!” I exclaimed so loud that the customers looked our way. I then said in a lower voice. “Why would you do that?”

“Because I figured that if you met up with him in a more group like setting, you'd be more inclined to agree.” she gave me some childlike expression that only she could pull off. “Don't be mad. Besides you really want to see the show, remember the last time they were here we missed it, so now we have to go.”

“But you invited him, Vee. I don't even know if I like him like that.” The person I liked was invisible to everyone else most of the time.

“Well you can find out on Saturday.”

“And what if he take this as a sign that I wanted to see him, and not just you playing matchmaker?”

“You can deal with that when the time comes.”

“How do you know I didn't have anyone else in mind?”

“You don't.” she said with a very straight face.

“God I hate you.” I said through gritted teeth.

She smiled. “I love you too, boo-boo.”

This was going to make Shannon's day.

.....


I sat in the kitchen that night, waiting, but Shannon hadn't returned and for some reason I was worried... and pissed. Pissed because he had promised he would be here and he was now MIA. I hadn't a clue as to where my angel was, but something wasn't sitting with me right. I knew he could take care of himself but still, he had never really broken a promise. Maybe I was overreacting. Maybe he just didn't want to be bothered with all of my questions. Maybe he wasn't going to come back at all. I hated that thought.

I stood up and grabbed a beer from the back of the fridge. I took a swig then sighed. I need to get out of here, I thought to myself, some fresh air would do me good. I grabbed my jacket and thought of leaving a note for Shan, but it somehow felt foolish.

I walked down the street and figured I'd head into a bar, just to clear my head a little, and there was nothing else open this time of night anyway. I sat my butt on a stool and ordered a vodka with orange juice and sipped it slowly as I tried not to think about Shannon. I felt like I had when I had first met him. I couldn't get him out of my mind, he was beginning to consume my every thought and I hated that feeling. It made me feel like I was going mad again.

I ordered another drink and thought about calling Ivy, just cause, but I remembered that she was spending time with Jack, so I left her alone. Too bad she was my only really good friend. Or maybe it was a good thing, cause who knows what I would be telling someone right now, just out of sheer frustration.

I took several gulps of the second drink, then it was gone. I knew I could have a few more, but I didn't want to have to stagger home in semi-drunkenness. I slid off the stool and made for the door. I walked home slowly, the night air was warmer than it had been in a while and the sky was cloudless, reveling the few stars that could still be seen through the city pollution. No storms tonight. I took a deep breath in and exhaled. Last night was indescribable and now I felt empty.

I got in hoping to see his face but was sadly disappointed. There was no sign he had been here, no trace of him at all. I suddenly felt like crying and laughing all at once. Maybe I had made him up after all. I threw my keys on the table and took a shower before climbing into bed. I felt lonely without his arm draped over my middle, his chest at my back. Had I made that up too? The sheets and pillows smelled faintly of my angel, that I knew was real, and it made the bed feel even more empty than before. It was around two when I finally found sleep.

.....


I woke up, stretching and arching my back. A hand stroked my midsection, sending a nice warmth down below. I turned to my left and the first thing my eyes landed on were a pair of eyes. Very blue eyes on a face I didn't recognize. He was beautiful.

“Who are you? Do I know you?” I asked slowly, dreamlike.

“No, but I know you.” his voice was as smooth as silk.

“You do? How?”

“We've met before, it was along time ago.” Mr. Blue Eyes said. I think I would have remembered having met him before, but if he says we met, maybe we have.

“So why are you in my bed?” This felt like deja vu.

“Would you rather spend your nights alone?” he didn't wait for an answer. “I just thought you might like a little company.” his hand was on my hip now, his thin lips curved into a delicious smirk, like a animal who was humouring it's prey, before it ripped out it's jugular.

I quickly sat up, but the blue eyes man grabbed me and wrapped his lean yet muscular arms around me, positioning himself behind me and holding me in place. Something was going on. Something I couldn't put my finger on. I was getting scared. I didn't want him here. Why was he here?

“I'm here for you. No need to be scared. I won't harm you.”

“You read my mind.” I said alarmed.

He laughed a little, it sounded strangely like wind chimes. “No, I read you.” That sounded familiar.

I frowned. “Come again?”

“I read your body language. Your mood. Don't be afraid.”

“You're some strange man who's in my bed. Touching me. How can I not be afraid?” that dreamlike feeling was beginning to wear off.

“I'm Jared. I'm not that strange, I just want to protect you.”

I'm Shannon, I'm not that strange. I'm just here to protect you. Those were Shannon's words to me on that morning I found him in my bed, only I didn't feel this afraid then. And this man, Jared, had just said them nearly word for word. What the fuck was going on?

“Protect me? From what?” I asked, my voice small, as I struggled to get free, but it was useless for all the effort I spent.

“There is someone we both know, but he isn't what he seems.” he growled into my ear.

“Who?”

“You know who. He will harm you Nikka, get him out of your life before it's too late.” his voice got harsher with every word.

I stopped moving. “Do you mean Shannon?” he nodded, his head next to mine. “Shannon isn't a danger or threat.”

“How well do you know him? What do you know of his past?” nothing really, but I kept quiet. “What I thought. Stay away from him, he only brings destruction in his wake. Take this as a warning.”

“You're one of them.” I whispered as I realized he was an angel as well, how else would he know about Shannon? How else could he be in my head?

I heard the man called Jared sigh with a mixture of frustration and humour. “Time for you to sleep Nikka... or is it wake?” those words poured out of his pretty mouth as he touched his index and middle fingers to my right temple. Everything grew black.