Status: On hiatus. Rewritting.

My Constant Companion

Neuf

“You ready?” Ivy called to me as I finished my makeup in her bathroom. I was at her place getting ready for the show, just so I wouldn't have to sit at home thinking of a certain angel, or that dream, and talk myself out of going all together.

Yes, the dream was still very much in my head, but I tried not to think too hard about it. One thing I couldn't figure out was if it was a normal dream or if it was Shannon's way of trying to communicate with me. Anything was possible, and he said he could get in my head when I was a sleep. But the bigger question was, what the fuck did it all mean?

“Give me another minute.” I shouted back to her.

“Oh, come on.” she exclaimed. “We're going to be late.”

“Sorry, but we all can't be instantly pretty like you.”

“Shut up.” she laughed.

I put all of my makeup away, and headed into the living room. I slipped on my multi-coloured Chuck Taylor's and checked my clutch. I had on a colourful loose fitting tank and dark skinny jeans. I didn't like to be too dressy for concerts, there would be too much sweating and sweaty people there for that. Ivy on the other hand had on her heels and a mini dress, looking sexy. Her dark hair was all swept to one side, my loose curls were in a messy ponytail. “Ready now?”

“Yes, ma'am.” I said as I stood and we left out.

We took Ivy's car, and drove to the venue. Everyone else was there already, Maurice couldn't make it though, and yes we were a little late but who cares. Ivy went off to join her man Jack, who was dressed as good as her, his short brown hair styled perfectly. He gave me a warm smile, which I returned. Micheal was already there too, he looked just as nice and I suddenly felt under dressed. I gave him a friendly enough hug and tried not let my awkwardness show.

The show began at a quarter to ten, they opened with 'Tighten Up' and sounded amazing. And even though I don't normally dance in public, I was dancing around like crazy. If Ivy wasn't so use to wearing heels she might have been bitching about them now, but she never did, and was dancing with me and Jack both. I talked a little to Micheal, well as much as you can talk to someone at a concert, and he stood to my right, trying to hold my attention. But I was too into the music to really notice. Shannon often said I was oblivious to the obvious. My heart ached a little at the thought of him.

Halfway through the show I had to go to the restroom. Micheal was trying to be all chivalrous and tag along, but I told him I was good.

On the way back I got a bottle of water, instead of the beer I was planning on getting. As I was walking back a hand grabbed my arm. “Excuse you.” I said to the owner of that hand as I turned around to face them, only to be surprised to see the face smiling back at me. Then I got pissed.

“So just where have you been?” I hissed.

“Nice to see you too, doll.” Shannon said in a low throaty voice.

He had on a leather jacket with a black tank, loose fitting dark jeans and boots. God, he looked good. His shades were hanging from his tank. He reached for my face but I backed away. His other hand was still holding my arm so I couldn't move back far.

“Uh-uh. No you don't. You ran out on me.” That sounded childish.

“Don't be mad. I just had some business to handle.” he continued smiling at me. “You look sexy as hell.”

I felt my cheeks flush. “Shut it. That's besides the point.”

“No, it's the truth.”

“Stop smiling, you look like a perv.” That made him laugh.

“Are you going to be mad at me forever?” I just stared at him, The Black Keys still rocking away behind me. They had just started playing 'Psychotic Girl', a favourite of mine, which somehow seemed fitting somehow.

“You were gone all week. What kind of business takes all week to handle?”

“The kind that we're not going to discuss here.” He let go of my arm finally, and I frowned at him even more. My mind went to several different things, the dreams, the feather, the fear I felt all week in his absence, all of which must have shown on my face because he said. “I'm sorry, doll.” he sounded genuine. “I didn't mean to leave you for so long.”

“You had me worried.” I whispered, my head low, but I knew he had heard it, he was only an inch away from me now. I didn't feel any fear, I realized, at seeing him, only relief now. He was alright. I wanted to ask him a million questions but he was right, this wasn't the place nor time to do so.

He lifted my head up by my chin. “Aww, you do care.”

“Shut up.”

He chuckled, then his smile faded. “So I'm gone for a few days and you go back to seeing that pussy?” he looked behind me at the crowd. “You can do way better, you know.”

I sighed. “I had no choice.”

“Ivy?”

“Ivy.”

He grinned. “Did you miss me?”

“Maybe.”

He stroked my arm slowly. “I missed you too, doll.” He looked behind me again and frowned. “Your date looks pissed.”

I turned around to see Micheal glaring daggers and something occurred to me. “Shannon?” I turned back to my angel, I notice several more people had looked our way. “Can they see you?”

“Yes.”

“For real?” I got excited. He nodded. “Really?”

“You have no faith in me.” he said in mock sadness, putting a hand to his chest. “Here comes your friend too.” I turned back around to see Micheal coming, Ivy in tow.

“We're going to have a real talk later.” I told him.

“Oh, goodie.” he sounded less than thrilled.

“Hey. We thought something happened to you.” Ivy said once she was within earshot. “You okay?”

“Yeah.” both of their eyes went behind me and I knew they could see him quite clearly.

“Is he bothering you?” Micheal asked.

“Oh no. No. This is my friend Shannon.” I said, introducing him, my smile wide.

Shan raised an eyebrow at me. “Friend?”

I ignored that. “Ivy, I told you about Shannon, didn't I?” I rushed out. I couldn't believe they could see him.

“No.” she said, furrowing her brow, “No, you haven't” she extended her hand to him, “I'm Ivy.”

Shannon shook her hand and smiled, “I know.”

“And this is Micheal.” I said, because, well, I had to say something.

“Her date.” Micheal said, putting a hand on my arm. Shannon's hand, however, went to my ass. “I think you should leave her alone.” Oh boy here we go. Micheal, looked at me as if I was going to second that.

“Really?” Shannon asked. “I think she can speak for herself. Isn't that right doll?”

“Boys, behave.” I said over the music. The tension was high. “Shannon was just coming to join us, isn't that right?” he gave me ass a squeeze before letting go.

“Oh yes. Shall we?” he said, glowering at Micheal.

Micheal's hand fell away and I grabbed Ivy's arm and led her back through the crowd, leaving the boys and their testosterone behind.

“Oh my god. Did he grab your ass?” she exclaimed with excitement and both.

“Maybe.” I blushed.

“That's him isn't it?” she hissed out. “The mystery man you wouldn't tell me about.”

“Shut up. I'll tell you later.”

The others with us noticed Shannon, but kept quiet, at least for now, and I tried to concentrate on enjoying the rest of the show. Shannon stood on my right now, and Micheal on my left. I glanced both their ways and then to Ivy for help but she shrugged and danced with Jack. Thanks, best friend.

I felt Shannon get closer until his lips were brushing my ear. “Dance. You know you want to.” I gave him the finger as he moved away. He liked that. “Remember how we danced in your bedroom?” he asked loud enough for Micheal, who I knew was listening, could hear.

I felt myself blush again as I remembered that morning. Shannon seemed satisfied with my embarrassment and crossed his arms over his chest, and nodded his head to the music.

“I hate you.” I hissed.

“Yeah yeah.”

Micheal asked me if I was enjoying myself, as if he wasn't at all bother by Shannon's presence. I had to give it to him for trying to keep his cool. “Yeah. The show is great.” I shouted to him. He of course took the opportunity to get closer and asked me to repeat what I had said. I did, and he asked me something else.

“Is he your ex, or something?”

“No.” I said honestly. He wasn't. He's an angel from another world, who tried to play with me under the table while I was on my first date with you. But that was a mouthful to say.

Shannon's hand was on the small of my back, as he pretended to fix my shirt, but I knew better. He wanted me to know he was still there, waiting, and didn't appreciate being ignored. Micheal must have noticed it too.

“Are you two together then?”

“No.” I answered.

“Could have fooled me.”

“It's complicated.”

“I'm sure it is.” he muttered, but I read his lips.

Shannon was smirking when I looked at him. “You look like a dream.” he said, narrowing his eyes at me.

“Stop complimenting me.” I shouted.

“Oh, don't be that way, love. I've missed that lovely face of yours.” he licked his lips. “Among other things.” his eyes roamed down my body, making me feel warmer that I had when I was dancing.

“Should I leave you two alone?” Micheal asked, looking pissed. His eyes went first to my face then to Shannon, as he said it.

“No.” I said, trying to be polite, as Shannon said, “Yes.”

“I know when I'm not wanted.” Micheal snarled. “I thought you were different, Nikka,” he said to me. “but you're just like all the others.” he gave me a long look and walked away. That caught Ivy's attention. She raised an eyebrow at me, and I shrugged. Shannon got behind me and brought his strong hands to my hips, swaying them to the music. Ivy gave me a wink and turned back to Jack.

“I guess he couldn't handle the heat.” Shannon said in my ear, satisfied. I sighed.

A part of me was thankful he had showed up and made Micheal leave, as bad as that sounds. Another part of me was mad. He disappears for a week and comes back like nothing had happened. He had enjoyed that too much. Was that a guy thing? Or an angel thing?

“Just enjoy the music, doll. Let your inhibitions go.”

.....


After the show was over the others thought we should hit up the after party, which was two blocks away. I was going to call it a night, I need some questions answered by a certain angel, but of course everyone, including Shan, wanted to go. So I reluctantly agreed. Everyone by that point had been introduced to Shannon. Ivy was just itching to grill me about him, but luckily Jack kept her occupied. But she did get to say a few things, one of which I related back to Shan.

“Is Ivy mad?” he asked, his arm brushed mine as we crossed the street.

“No but she says you're cute.”

“I am cute.” he said as if I had been denying it.

The club was packed and I immediately felt claustrophobic. Shannon took my clammy hand in his own as he led me to the dance floor. I hated clubs, the music sucked, I didn't dance well to begin with and the place was hot, and I was already sweating. Shannon didn't mind, he pulled me to him and his lips were on mine a second later. Now I was in a strange mood.

Shannon was no longer my secret, he was visible to all, and maybe that made me drop my guard because I found myself getting lost in the pulsating beat of the music, and didn't mind that Shannon's hands were all over me. Mine were all over him too. I closed my eyes and felt his lips kiss my neck, like he had in that dream. His hands rested on my hips as I stood with my back to him, our bodies like magnets that didn't want to part. Then his grip became rough.

“Shan.” I whispered. I turned my head slightly to see his face, and was taken aback.

He looked beyond pissed.

“What's wrong?”

He wouldn't answer, just wrapped his arm around my waist, my back pressed to his chest. I followed his gaze through the crowd until I saw him. He glowed like a beckon. The face of the man in my dream, the man who gave me the warning. My fears resurfaced.

“Do you know him?” I asked, my voice shaky with fear.

He still wouldn't talk or take his eyes off of the man who was making his way through the crowd. His blue eyes were locked on Shan's hazel one's like they were having a staring contest. Did anyone else notice the oddity of this?

Finally those blue eyes were closer. It was almost as if the whole world had stopped and nothing else existed but for us. Finally he closed the distance and stood directly in front of the man who's arms were wrapped around me possessively. Shannon shifted me slightly to his left.

“Jared.” Shannon's voice was heavy and dry. Their eyes still locked on one another.

Jared, now I remembered, that was his name. I felt a shiver run down my body.

The man named Jared smiled. “Hello, brother.”