Status: Currently Active

Another Year, Another Mystery

Chapter 3

Another Year, Another Mystery

Chapter 3

Rory's eyes widened considerably as she took in the scared glances of her new friends and classmates.

"Well you see- urm basically – " She began to mumble.

"Oh just spit it out!" Patricia exclaimed, exasperated, before shrugging as the others sent her glares at her lack of subtly.

"I'm physic!" The brunette blurted out. She glanced down sheepishly as the others appeared to have frozen in shock.

"Basically, that's why I'm being looked for. I have visions in my sleep, I could be any one, be anywhere and I would know that in the near future what I saw would happen."

The boys gaped at her and Nina opened her mouth to question her further.

"So, what did you see tonight?"

Rory shuddered again as the vision flashed across her mind, her mouth drawn into a thin line.

"I was a young boy, 5 maybe 6. His father was abusing him. It just kept happening. And I couldn't do anything." She choked on her tears.

Nina rubbed her back soothingly as the others all gathered up the courage to ask their own questions, the ones now circling their thoughts.

"So, are they like, subjective? Like Alice in Twilight?" Amber.

"Can you see our future?" Alfie.

"Can you change the future?" Fabian.

"Can you see your own future?" Jerome.

The questions kept coming at an alarmingly dizzying speed and the young girl reduced herself to putting her hands over her ears to stop the incessant noise.

"Stop!" She finally cried out. The house mates of Anubis froze for the second time that night.

"I can't tell you! I've said to much already, you'll get hurt – I just can't." And with that final sentence she ran from the room.

The next morning the older members of the house sat around nervously, waiting for the arrival of Nina and her roommate.

What they didn't expect was for the golden haired teen to arrive in a flurry of tears.

"Guys, Rory didn't come back last night!" She sobbed. Those present in the room stood immediately preparing to walk from the house to find her.

Mick, Nina, Amber and Jerome walked with determination towards the door, only to be stopped by Victor.

"And where do you lot think you're going?" He questioned dully.

"Sir, Rory's missing, we need to find her!" Amber wailed.

Victor stared at her, not the slightest trace of worry on his wrinkled face. "Nice try Miss Millington but I happen to know that Miss Tomlinson is already present at school. Some where you four should be going this instant!"

The four students look rather surprised, and relieved, at the information their head of house had just dumped on them.

Jerome gave Mick a slight shove towards the door and the four sheepishly left for the school.

"So, she's been and gone before we even noticed? How is that even possible?" Mick spluttered out.

Nina sighed in exasperation. "Rory always was sneaky. Back in America she would play pranks on the 'popular' lot of our school and never once got caught."

Jerome looked impressed at this, his mind whirring with plans to get the young girl to help him and Alfie for future 'activities'.

As they entered the school they almost forgot about the girl that they had previously thought had been missing and carried on as normal, having discussed that they should just talk to Rory in the classroom.

History was their first lesson, well for some of them anyway. The project about the Necklace of Harmonia was due in within the next week so the 6 group members gathered around their table.

Nina frowned when she noticed Rory wasn't participating with them, she would usually take charge because she knew about Greek myths and didn't want to get a poor grade.

"Rory, are you okay? Why didn't you wait for us this morning?" She questioned her brunette friend.

Without raising her head to meet the American's eyes Rory mumbled a half-hearted reply. "I'm fine and I wanted to get to school." She stated bluntly.

Nina's heart dropped slightly, she knew the behaviour of her friend, Rory would always get moody when something bad had happened and the golden haired girl knew this was because of her visions being revealed.

So the older girl turned away from her friend knowing that she would get over it soon and there was no need to bother her.

Except she didn't get over it. Almost immediately after the school bell rang, signalling them to go to their next class, Rory picked up her bag and left the room without a word to anyone.

Fabian turned to the previous new student at Anubis house, a puzzled look etched across his face.

"Is everything okay with Rory?" His eyes shined in concern for the girl that was seemingly too quiet in the last hour than was normal for her.

"I don't know. Usually she's fine after an hour or so." Replied the other nervously, her hands playing with the bracelets on her wrists.

"Maybe we should talk to her?" The brunette male suggested, to which the female nodded in confirmation.

A few moments later saw Nina and Fabian stepped towards the small girl stood outside her locker in the middle of the school corridor.

"Hey, Rory." The two greeted. They grimaced as all they received was a non-committable wave in reply.

"How's it going?" Fabian asked her, trying to not sound to intrigued as to why the young housemate was being so cold.

"Fine. Sorry, I've got to go. Bye." She broke the awkward silence that had been creeping up on them.

Turning on her heel, she slammed her locker shut and stalked off down the corridor, leaving a relatively shocked Nina and Fabian behind her.

"But Rory..!" Nina called after her only to be cut off harshly.

"I said I've got to go." She snapped, not even turning around to face the wavy haired girl who recoiled at the ice in her voice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At lunch the Anubis members consisting of; Nina, Fabian, Patricia, Alfie, Mick and Jerome; were all gathered around a bench outside the crowded canteen talking quickly amongst themselves.

"Has Rory spoken to you guys today?" Mick questioned them all.

A generally and simultaneous no, resounded around the group. Patricia looked unperturbed.

"So, what? She's ignoring us all now?" She suggested snidely.

"It's looking that way isn't." Alfie sighed, exhausted.

"But why?"

Amber leaned in to the group discussion. "I think it's because we forced all that physic stuff out of her."

Jerome nodded slightly before expanding on Amber's theory. "But it's got to be more than that. Do you think she's doing it to keep us 'safe'?" He put towards Nina.

Eyes turned to the girl who sat quietly in-between Amber and Patricia.

"Huh- what?" She looked up dazed once she realized she was being addressed.

"Is it possible for Rory to be ignoring us because she thinks it will keep us safe?" Jerome repeated for her.

"It's very possible. But I just have this feeling there's something more to it." The young American mused.

"Like what?" Fabian asked.

"I don't know. But whatever it is, I'm going to find out." She stated defiantly, looking around the group.

All the members of Anubis, bar Rory Tomlinson, nodded in agreement.

They would find out what was affecting Rory no matter what it took.