Status: Irregular spontaneous updates

My Little Star

Laugh it off

STELLA
Jacob dragged me down the hall and away from Paul with a hand on each of my shoulders; as if he was afraid I’d make a run for it. My blood was still boiling and it was like no matter what I did or what I thought about, I couldn’t shake the feeling of complete rage.

When Jake stopped walking we were already down the hall and around the corner, in front of an empty staircase. He let his hands drop before sighing, taking a seat on the bottom step and patting the spot next to him.

I took a deep breath in attempt to calm myself before complying.

“We don’t have to talk about it,” Was all he said after a few second of silence, as he stared at the side of my face with understanding eyes. “And I know you probably don’t want to hear this, but I get angry like that too; so I get it. It’s hard to just cage it up.”

I blinked before looking over at him, my thoughts calming slightly as I realized he was being genuine. I never thought about the fact that he may have the same problem as I did. Just because he was good at not showing it around me, didn't mean it wasn't there. Paul however, I knew had a temper just as bad as mine, and sometimes had as hard of a time as I did trying to keep it locked up. Letting out a sigh, I nodded. “Thank you, Jake.”

He grinned easily with a shrug. “Anytime, shorty. Anyway, I was thinking, maybe you and Kim should stay at Sam’s tonight. All the guys planned on staying there anyway. Plus, if you did, I could try to help you get to sleep, if you want?”

The last part of his question sounded as if he was unsure of himself and it made me smile a bit. “Sure, Jake. I’d like that, and I’m sure Kim won’t mind. Plus I miss Sammy.”

The boys had introduced me to Sam during my second day here and we had hit it off right away, which was surprising considering all the warnings they had all given me about how strict and up tight he could be. He didn’t seem that way to me at all, though; he was silly and fun, and sort of reminded me of Ryan.

Jake chuckled and stood, taking my hand and pulling me up with him. “Ready to go?”

I bit my lip, hesitant to go back and face my problems, eyes darting around until they landed on the vending machine a little ways down the hall. “Uh, I’m gonna go and get some water, I’ll meet you over there?”

Understanding my hesitation to go back, he nodded and sent me a small smile before turning and disappearing around the corner.

I sucked in a sharp breath as I made my way to the vending machine. Now that the anger had slowly drained from my body after of my short talk with Jake, I felt so guilty for yelling at Paul; he was only trying to help me and in return, I was a huge bitch to him. I just couldn’t help it; when I was angry, I couldn’t control myself. I guess we had both just got so worked up over the stress of the situation. It was no excuse though, and as I bought my overpriced bottled water I decided I would swallow my pride and apologize.

About halfway down the empty hallway I realized I had nearly been strangling the plastic bottle in my hand and when Paul and Jacob come into sight, I only became more anxious. What if he was mad at me? What if he thought I was crazy? What if he didn’t want to be my friend? What would I do without his morning hugs?

I was getting ahead of myself. Breathe.

I stopped in front of him, looking up into his hot chocolate eyes with mine full of guilt. I didn’t even notice Jake disappear down the hall and out the door for the parking lot. I gnawed on my lip nervously, noticing then just how much taller than me he really was. It would have been intimidating if I didn’t know how much of a teddy bear he was. He was a teddy bear with a temper though, just like I was, so from now on, I'd have to make sure that when I was angry, I wouldn't go anywhere near him; I couldn't risk pushing him away.

“Look Paul, I’m really s-”

My words were cut off when he wrapped his arms around me, causing my heart to jump and my breath to leave my throat. “It’s alright. Me too.”

At that point, there was no denying that I was unbelievably attracted to the boy with the hot chocolate eyes, or that he was undeniably important to me. No one was ever able to make me so nervous and so out of breath with such little effort before, and if I was being honest, it made me happy and terrified me, all at the same time.

By the time he pulled away, I was still biting my lip, my guilt lingering.

Paul noticed and chuckled, throwing his arm lazily around my shoulder as we began slowly walking toward Jake’s car. “Stop worrying so much Stella, shit happens. It’s fine, really.”

I looked at him skeptically for a moment before finally giving in with a sigh and a soft nod.

Jacob drove the three of us to Emily and Sam’s place and, seeing as it was only just after noon, and school was still in session, Emily was the only one there.

As soon as we walked through the door, she stood from her seat on a kitchen stool, worry written all over her face. “Paul? Stella? Shouldn’t you be in school? Oh no, did something happen? Jake, what happened? Is anyone hurt? Where are the other guys?”

“Whoa Em, calm down. We’re all fine; the other guys are back at school and no one's hurt.” Jacob’s voice was cautious and comforting all at once.

Paul snorted softly, fighting a snicker as he shot me a sideways glance. “Well none of US are hurt, at least.”

My eyes widened as I realized that he was talking about the girl I had punched and I couldn’t fight the triumphant smirk on my lips and the excitement in my voice. “Is she really hurt?”

Jake choked back a laugh at my reaction as Emily stared at the three of us in shock. “What? Who? Stella, you hurt someone?”

Paul cleared his throat, as a failed attempt to subside his laughter as he explained the situation to Emily. “You see, there’s been this girl picking on Kim, and none of us guys could ever do anything about it because she’s a girl, and just talking to her wouldn't make her stop,”

Emily frowned, not liking the story so far.

Paul continued though, occasionally sending me little smirks, or what I could only classify as a proud grin. Those little things made my heart swell with pride. “However, the little firecracker over there found out and took things into her own hands." He paused, grinning devilishly in my direction as he spoke about me. "She found out, gave her one chance, and tried to talk it out with her, but she was just being a bi- jerk,” Emily gave him a pointed look when she realized he was getting ready to curse, so he changed his word choice.

“So, what happened?” She questioned, leaning forward on her toes in anticipation. It was amazing how much she resembled a mother at that moment, with her worried eyes, cautious stance, and anxious worry lines. Not just any mother though; one who actually cared.

Jacob shrugged, finishing the story for Paul with such nonchalance, I almost laughed. “She broke her jaw.”

Emily’s jaw dropped with wide eyes and Paul laughed loudly as I pumped my fist in the air, my heart soaring with pride. “YES! Really?! That’s so cool-”

My excited gaze met Emily’s stern eyes and I forced the smile to drop from my face. “I- uh, I mean...I hope the hospital gives her a fruit basket...”

The two boys at my side snickered, and I had to hold mine back as Emily stared me down sternly. I almost thought she was mad, until a tiny smile crept up the corners of her mouth. “Next time, give her a black eye.”

I laughed loudly and threw my arms around her as she laughed with me, the boys expressing their amusement with laughter as well.

At that moment, I was nearly overwhelmed with the feeling of joy and acceptance, and no matter what was thrown my way, I knew, deep down, La Push would be good for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm a huge ball of shit. I know. For anyone still reading this, thanks for sticking with me, you are a wonderful creature. Sorry it took so damn long to update, but I'm trying, so don't give up on me. Love you guys!
Commmmmmeeents? c: