Status: Active.

Eternal Silence

A Moment Of Silence

Adara and Draco stepped outside Malfoy Manor, both of them dressed in black. She had her belongings for the next year sent on with Draco’s, so for the first year she would be travelling light. The old manor door creaked as it closed; Adara turned her head to look back at the big house. Nobody had followed them outside, nobody had come to say goodbye. She was used to it; this place wasn’t the hype of festivities and happiness.

She looked down at her watch; they were running on time as normal. Pulling her long black coat further around her body to shield from the cold, she stole another glance towards Draco. His hair in its place, the same scowl on his face but his eyes were different. Nervousness and fear screamed out from behind them. She hadn’t noticed she’d been staring until his light eyes met hers. Adara quickly turned her head away, unsure of what was happening with her. Before the situation could become even more awkward she jumped into the car waiting to take them back to that god-forsaken school, not noticing the smirk on Draco’s lips as he jumped in after her.

The car rumbled to life and drove away, leaving Malfoy Manor behind them; the outside concealing the true darkness that walked its corridors and lived in its rooms. Draco was staring straight ahead, a million and one thoughts racing around his mind. He shook his head, hoping it would clear his mind just a little so he could at least hear his own voice. He looked over to the girl next to him; he hadn’t really noticed how alike they were before. She, too, was born into a family of status and unable to choose her own fate, her own life. He also hadn’t noticed how beautiful she really was, her long hair curled around her delicate features, her big green eyes which were full of hope and life. It was the complete opposite of the man who shared her blood.
He smiled at her as she drew figures on the steamed up windows. Her wand enchanting them to move and dance around on the pane of glass, he could see her smile in the reflexion and as quickly as his heart warmed it turned cold as Draco turned his eyes back to staring out ahead, his worries swarming his mind once more.

“Train station.” The driver’s voice boomed through the silent car. The two young wizards drew in breath before stepping out of the warm car. Students staring in their direction; they had been known to have been enemies since the first year started and here they were walking together, leaving the same car. Whispers began sounding behind gloved hands as all eyes followed the two Slytherins.

“Keep close. And sit with me on the train.” She nodded and followed behind him, they turned the corner onto the platform nine and three quarters, and she lost him in the sea of students clambering onto the magical train. Draco turned around pushing a young Hufflepuff from in front of him and spotted her pushing her own way through the students, receiving glares from them some as they picked themselves up from the ground. She was quickly beside him as instead of being pushed to the ground, the crowd dispersed allowing her to walk freely with a smug look on her face.

Adara blew her hair out of her eyes and looked at the scene in front of her, another hoard of students walked towards them. She looked up at Draco, who stood easily above her. He rolled his eyes and grabbed her arm pulling her with him, glaring at anyone who got in their way. Adara pulled her arm away from him quickly when they reached the train and climbed aboard, just in time as the train pulled away from the station. She glared up at him and rubbed her arm where he had grabbed her, sure that it would have left a mark. She pushed herself past him and into the carriage and took a seat next to Zabini, scowling and crossing her arms turning herself towards the window.

Zabini nudged her with his arm, turning to look at him she noticed Draco had sat opposite her with Pansy Parkinson sat next to him for good measure. “I heard you and Draco have got something going on.” He wiggled his eyebrows at her, laughing and hi-fiving Gregory Goyle who had sat on the other side.

“You heard wrong then, didn’t you? And, I’d appreciate it if you didn’t speak for the rest of the journey, Zabini.” Draco glared at the grinning Slytherin before turning his attention back to Pansy, who immediately restarted her story about her summer. Draco didn’t pay attention to her and turned his head slightly, looking at Adara from the corner of his eye. She, herself, was looking at him too and sent him a small smile, which he didn’t return but his eyes lost the harshness and they seemed to smile for him.

The train journey went by as usual; the same chatter about summers, each person trying to outdo the next. Both Adara and Draco had managed to drown them out before they both noticed an extra presence in the carriage with them. Their brows furrowed and they turned to look at each other, she shrugged and turned back to the window to see the school platform come into view. She sighed and pushed herself up from the seat and stretched her arms above her head. She allowed Pansy to go before her though not before she was sent a glare from the witch.

“Are you coming, Draco?” Pansy held out her hand for Draco smirking all the time at Adara.

“I’ll meet you in there.” It was Adara’s turn to smirk as Pansy followed the rest of the students out of the train. Adara moved her eyes to the top of the suitcase carrier and smiled at Draco before leaving him to do what he needed. He nodded and smiled before turning his back on her, walking to the other end of the carriage.

Draco walked into the Great Hall during the sorting of new students, cheers erupted from houses around them as they gained new members. The only two people in the room not cheering were Draco and Adara. Adara was watching Draco with sympathy because his pain was etched all over his face, not to mention his barriers were barely up making it easier for her to read him. Not long ago had Potter walked in with blood down his shirt, causing more whispers between students; their eyes moving towards the silent pair. Students began moving out of the Hall on their way to the dormitories but Draco hadn’t moved a muscle. Sighing, Adara kicked him under the table. His eyes shot up glaring at Adara before he two joined the mass crowd on the way to the Slytherin Common Room, the pair glad for some sleep.
The fire was burning brightly casting shadows against her face as she hugged her legs closer to her chest. She sighed and closed her eyes, leaning back against the chair she was near. She almost jumped when a second pair of legs stretched out in front of her, she looked up to see Draco, his hair out of place and his eyes were tired. Somewhere inside her wanted to comfort him, wanted him to know that she would be there for him.

“Can’t sleep?” She shook her head looking back at the fire.

“Me either. It doesn’t help that Goyle can’t sleep quietly.” He ran his pale fingers through his hair as he looked over at her.

“Why can’t you speak? Seriously this time, I’m not teasing.” She looked up at him through her eyelashes and raised her wand, parchment and a quill falling into her lap from upstairs. She smiled at him and quickly scratched onto the parchment before handing it to him. She studied his face as he read it, his eyes scanning the words quickly and efficiently before he looked back into her eyes.

“And, you can’t speak to me through my mind?” She shook her head before motioning for him to pass her back the parchment. She flipped it over before frantically scratching at it again with her quill.
Their fingertips touched as she passed him back the parchment, a shiver ran down both their spines as Draco drew a sharp breath moving closer to her, reading over her words.
He made it so I could only speak with the people who were truly in my heart, that way he knew that he’d be the only person I could speak with. Bellatrix said something about me being a weapon, I never really understood it.

He wrapped his arms around the fragile girl beside him, “could you ever let me into your heart?” Adara moved her head from his chest to look into his eyes; the most sincere she had ever seen them. She never knew that this Draco Malfoy existed but she loved every bit about it.
Their eyes never once leaving each other’s, she pulled another piece of parchment from her side and wrote one word. He smiled at her and pulled her closer, smelling her perfume which intoxicated him slightly. He'd never shown this side to himself before; he was unsure whether he’d ever be able to speak like this.

The two closed their eyes and fell into a dreamless sleep, sat on the floor of the Slytherin Common Room. The parchment dropped from Draco’s hand onto the cold floor, the word maybe visible from the ground.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts? Subscribe?

~~ Hannah.