Status: Hit a bit of a wall with this, but I'll be updating soon

Freakz

Chapter 3

DarkHelmAD's POV

"Hey, wake up," I said, giving ArdenRanger a quick kick to his shin under the table. "You gonna be like that out in the Arena today?"

"Not like it's gonna matter anyway," he grumbled. "That's probably gonna bruise."

"You know damn well it matters. You're only as good as your player, and your performance. It's both. And I didn't kick you that hard."

"You're wearing steel-toes."

"Hang up a sec," I said, looking past his shoulder. "Fresh meat." I nodded towards the door.

ArdenRanger turned his head so he was looking, but didn't look like he was looking. "Really?" he asked taking in the girl's tiny frame. "She looks like she's 12. How'd she end up in here?"

"Never mind that. I'm more concerned about what's gonna happen to her in here." ArdenRanger shuddered a little. He knew as well as I that most of the guys down here had little to no scruples about females. Either you learned to hold them off like MonsterMomma had, or you gave up and let them do what they wanted. And this one, young, brunette, pretty, and little, didn't stand much of a chance on her own.

"I'll do it," ArdenRanger said, after taking a moment to think.

"Do what?"

"Look after her. I mean, someone has to." He nodded towards where Pwnisher and his crew of miscreants were already eying the newcomer. "Because they're looking a little too friendly."

"Sure. Whatever," I replied noncommittally, trying to sound the hardened curmudgeon I was supposed to be, as he stood up to go talk to her.

ArdenRanger295's POV

I did my best not to laugh at DarkHelm as I left to go meet this new girl. He tried so hard to stay fierce and though. It was kind of funny actually.

"Hey," I said, quietly so I wouldn't freak her out. "You're new here." Is wasn't a question; of course she was. You could always tell.

"Yeah." Her voice was so high and so quiet I barely heard.

"Alright, well, I'm ArdenRanger and that's DarkHelm. Don't worry, he won't bite." I nodded my head back towards where he was sitting, and was rewarded with one of his famous scowls. Oh well, it could've been worse.

"ArdenRanger...295 right? I know about you." Her little, almost cherub like, face shot up towards mine, a faint smile on her lips.

"Is that good?" I asked warily.

She nodded. "I knew your player, before...before I..." she dropped her head back down, a small lump rising in her throat.

"Hey; hey, it's okay," I said gently, crouching next to her. "You'll be alright, I promise. What's your name?"

She sniffed a bit, wiping the corner of her eye with the slightly too long sleeve of her grey t shirt. "I'm MoonChild now," she replied, still quiet as a flipping churchmouse. "MoonChild09121."

"Well, listen MoonChild, as long as me, or DarkHelm are around, nothing bad's gonna happen to you, I promise."

She smiled, biting her lip as tears started threatening to form in her eyes again. "Thank you," she said, putting her arms around my neck.

"It's not a problem," I said, giving her a quick hug in response. "Come on, you should eat."
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright, I'm pleased to announce that I've gotten un-stuck with this story, and I will hopefully be updating more soon. Comments, suggestions, etc are always welcome, I love hearing from people who read my work.