Teal.

III.

Marcus’s arrival came two days later, just as he promised. Julian awaited him with a copy of the novel in his lap, staring blankly out the window. There was something stony, something hard on his face as he met the gaze of his agent.

Any hope the bald man had brought with him vanished with that. He dropped his head, leaning back against the wall as he let out a heavy sigh.

“Please man, for me, please do this,” he begged.

Julian continued to watch Marcus as he drummed lightly on the book he held. “Why?”

How he hadn’t noticed it initially, he wasn’t sure. Under Julian’s eyes hung huge, dark circles, the likes of which Marcus had never seen. If there was one thing he knew, it was that the actor liked his sleep. Even with the entire Claire fiasco, he hadn’t lost too much sleep as far as he had known. This was bad; his reaction was worse than he had imagined. Marcus tried to take it in stride.

“Look, Julian, I don’t even care if you completely botch the audition, or turn down the role, all I’m asking is for you to go. Just show up, just give them what they want and then it’ll be over, just like that. I promise.” Marcus’s voice echoed his desperation, yet Julian’s face remained stone, unmoving.

“I don’t know if I can do that, Marcus,” he replied evenly.

The agent threw his hands up in the air, stomping across the room and towards the actor. “Why in god’s name not, Julian?”

Julian grasped the book, tossing it at his agent in one swift motion. Marcus caught it, irritated and confused, flipping the novel over in his hands. Changing Alex glared up at him, the pages clearly turned recently.

“I think you know why, Marcus.” Julian remained where he sat, staring stoically at the other. “What did you honestly expect?”

“Hell, a bit of understanding on your part, maybe! I know this isn’t something you like; something you want. But bloody hell, Julian, think of us for a change, think of me, and the production. Just do this, okay?”

Julian thought back over the past 48 hours, to the moment the script had first struck such an unnerved, stinging chord in him. He remembered how he hadn’t been able to put it down, not out of pleasure, but out of some disgusted, bitter curiosity, how he’d picked up the book as soon as he was done, barely putting it down as a sublime irritation and anger began to fill him. Now he sat silent and ire-filled before a man who desperately wanted him to go to an audition for a role he would loathe, he would never enjoy.

“I just don’t know if that’s going to work, Marcus. And romance? You’ve got to be kidding me; that’s a tragedy, a drama if I’ve ever seen one. That character… that is nothing like me. That is someone I never want to be; I never ever want to portray.”

“Why? Because it hits a bit too close to home with Claire, Julian? Is that what this is about?” the agent snapped, giving him a more venomous look than both thought him capable of. The stale silence and the cold glare he received seemed more than enough of a response. “This is a role, Julian, not a change of lifestyle. You only have to be him on camera, not in every aspect of your life. How the hell is this so different from your role as Jack? You’re nothing like him, chap. Why can’t you just do this?”

“I told you I’d consider it, not that I would go running to the audition all willy-nilly after I read it.” Julian’s voice was quiet. “Now that we’re done here, I’m going out. I’m sure you know where the door is.”

He stood, muscles sore from sitting for so long. He walked past the other man without looking at him, grabbing his coat off the hook by the door. He didn’t look back as he exited his apartment, slamming the door loudly. Once down the lift and into the lobby, he stopped, taking a moment to compose himself, and clear his mind. He wasn’t sure whether he was more irritated with Marcus or with himself for letting the part get to him like it had. It wasn’t normal; it wasn’t typical for him to be set off so easily.

“Oi, Giles.”

Julian closed his eyes, Marcus’s voice again in his ears; it was too soon, he didn’t have the patience to deal with him then. He turned to face him, surprised to have the book he had tossed at the man a little while earlier shoved against his chest. He grasped at it as his dark-skinned agent walked past him. Julian turned, staring after him as the other man slowed to a stop, not even turning.

“You don’t want to go? Fine. You tell them then. I’m done. I’m done with this, I’m done with you. I’m not losing my bloody job because of you.”

He could only stare after Marcus as the few people who had entered the building glanced between the two, curiosity plaguing their faces. With a sigh he rubbed his forehead with his free hand. How had it come to this, all because of a stupid movie?

“You seem to be having a fun morning,” a light voice right behind him stated. Of course; she had to show up right then. Julian looked over his shoulder, and sure enough the gray-green eyes he expected were watching him from a slightly lower line of sight. She stepped up to his side, most of her thick curls hidden by her hat. There was a scarf wrapped around her neck underneath the gray pea coat he had seen her in a few days prior. He couldn’t help but smirk a little.

“Joyous, wonderful, fantastic,” he quipped. “And what about you? Afraid of the cold, are we?”

“I come from Florida, which means I have no tolerance for it, not necessarily afraid of it,” she replied, tugging at the sides of her hat. “I’m going to take it that was your agent.”

“Ah, yes. ‘Was’ being the key word. Fairly certain he quit.”

Teal nodded, giving him a once over. “You know, I’m going to get coffee, and not to be rude but you look like you could use some. Want to come? My treat.”

“Why can’t I see your invitation as such an innocent affair as that?” Julian mused, shaking his head.

“First, I’m going to take that as a yes, so come along. Second, because it’s not. Haven’t we gone over this?” she began walking, and he soon fell in stride. The two stepped out into the dull winter morning together, her shivering started not soon after their venture into the snow covered streets. He smiled in amusement as her cheeks soon took a pink tint, a slight trace of a scowl pulling at her features.

“You are so very much out of your climate comfort zone, aren’t you?”

Teal gave him a cool side-glance and then. “And you were out of your comfort zone with that role you refused, from what your agent was mumbling in the elevator, right?”

Julian didn’t reply, the smile slipped from his face as he focused on the sidewalk before them, and avoiding the crowds, a few people shot him looks of awe; his fans. They didn’t stop him though to ask for pictures or autographs; not today; perhaps it was the look on his face, perhaps it was his aura. Regardless, he appreciated their lack of desire to interact with him. He’d always been regarded as nice, and accepting of his fan base, and he generally was. But it was a moment when his patience and kindness were gone; eaten by lack of sleep and an unsettling frustration.

“I’m not going to ask why, or any of that, I promise,” Teal stated. “But I do have ears, and if you want to talk, I’m always free to listen. I do have one little question though, what’s with the book?”

He hadn’t realized until she mentioned it, but the book was still clasped in his hand. He scoffed, holding it in her direction. “The book the bloody movie script was based off of. Take it; I don’t want the blasted thing.”

She glanced down at it for a moment, flipping it in her hands before shoving it roughly in her large bag.

“Well, I can see why you’d have a problem with that. I don’t think I could speak to a person who would take the role of Alex so easily,” She said, a trace of ice lining her pleasant tone.

“How did you know that was the role?” Julian asked, slowing to a stop on the crowded sidewalk, right next to an empty bench. She turned a few steps ahead, facing him with a blank look.

She let out a slight shrug as she stuffed her hands in her pockets. “I know the book. And it couldn’t be any more apparent that if any role would make you uncomfortable, it would be that one. You don’t see it the way most actors do, I think. From the reviews the fans are rabidly enamored with Alex, the confused, scarred boy who doesn’t know how to love, or how not to hurt those who care about him the most. The boy who hides his true desires behind his selfish beliefs and leaves the one person who ever genuinely cared about him alone and in the dark. But you’re not. You see him for what he is, for what he did, don’t you?”

“How did you… how many times have you read that?” Julian’s eyebrows crinkled as he nodded towards her bag.

Teal smiled, rolling her eyes. “It’s cold, Julian. If we’re going to do this, can we at least do it somewhere warm?”

Julian submitted with a short nod; the girl waited for him to catch up before they continued to walk, two blocks later they found themselves at a small coffee shop he often frequented.

“You just moved here, how may I ask, did you know where this was?” he asked, leaning down to her level as to speak softly, and not ruin the quiet atmosphere of the store. The rich scent of coffee was heavy in the air; it swam around them in thick waves.

“When I came on my vacation a few months back this very kind couple was nice enough to recommend it when my friend and I asked the location of the nearest coffee shop. This place is fantastic, how on Earth could anyone forget it?” she said, leaning back slightly to reply.

As they reached the counter, Teal placed her order, before motioning to Julian to give them his. He hadn’t really planned on letting her buy him anything. It was unusual, with just Camille, or his female friends, he generally covered the expenses of anything purchased, meal, tea or otherwise. With a shake of his head, he declined.

“Oh come on, it’s just coffee. Also, didn’t I tell you it was my treat? Just get something okay? Trust me, you need it,” she stated. “So come on, tell…”

She glanced back at the cashier, only for a second. “Fred, tell Fred what you want so we can go sit down.”

“Or you can just let me order and pay for my own drink,” Julian offered. Teal gave him a pointed look, facing her attention back to the young cashier who looked slightly confused.

“Fred, is Julian a regular customer of yours?” She asked kindly. He gave the actor a cautious look before nodding. Teal held out a small black card. “Then get him what he usually orders, and put it on my card. I promise you the tip will be worth it.”

Julian sighed as he agreed, sliding the card before quickly handing a small slip of paper to the curly-haired, stubborn, American girl. She wrote on it quickly, signing it and handing it back over. The cashier’s eyes widened as he looked at it for a moment before fumbling to stick it in the drawer.

“Th-thank you very much, ma’am,” he mumbled. She walked away, towards a small table near the window and sat down upon taking off her coat. She crossed her arms over her chest as she looked at Julian, waiting for him to join.

“Really now, was that absolutely necessary?” he asked in irritation.

“If it upset you that much, next time coffee’s on you,” she said as he sat across from her. “It’s just coffee, calm thy self, Julian. You really don’t function well when you’re tired, do you?”

From across the café he could feel the stares; two girls stood whispering, glancing hastily between the table and away, believing themselves discrete in some way. That was the type he knew so well; the fans that would eventually approach, and request something; a signature, a picture. Julian tried to pay them no mind, focusing back on the girl before him and their soon to arrive coffee.

“Not in the least,” he muttered, rubbing his eyes before pushing the strands of hair that had fallen in his face away. “And it’s all because of that damned book.”

“Damned indeed,” she agreed.

“I really don’t know what to do about it,” Julian said. “I can’t stand the character, I absolutely despise him, but if I don’t go to the audition there’s a chance my agent’s career is on the line. Well, if he still is my agent. Hell, it’s not just that, the entire movie’s production is in jeopardy. It’s absolutely ridiculous.”

A few seconds rolled by as their drinks came, and Teal stirred hers, pouring a bit of cream in it as she seemed to think about something before finally looking up. “Remember what I told you about not jumping into things without any thought? I don’t think you should turn this down so quickly. There is a lot riding on it, apparently, so maybe you should sleep on it, take a little time to mull it over.”

“Hold on a second, didn’t you just agree with me a few minutes ago that the character is vile? And now you’re saying I should consider it?” Julian stared at her, taken back.

“Yes, I think Alex is a wretched character, but I never said you shouldn’t consider the offer,” she replied, giving him a cool look. “I’m not siding with your agent, if that’s what you’re thinking. I’m just trying to look at this from a different point of view, which would be—“

“Ex-excuse me.” It was one of the girls he had noticed just prior, Julian noted, closing his eyes with a sigh.

“Yes, can I help you?” he asked, trying to put on the best smile he could.

The taller of the two returned it awkwardly. “Actually, we were wondering if you’d sign our books.”

Julian froze momentarily, realizing for the first time that the girls’ attention wasn’t on him, but the small, wide-eyed girl across from him who had her mug of coffee pressed to her lips. She quickly set it down, nodding as she reached in the girls’ direction.

“Oh, of course.” she smiled, eyes flickering over to Julian for a second. It was quick, so quick if he hadn’t been focused on her as he was he would have missed it. It had been a moment of apprehension and uncertainty dancing behind the gray-green irises and the warm smile.

“Oh, thank god it’s you,” The shorter one sighed in delight. “I’m Cassandra, and this is Beth. We never thought we’d get a chance to meet you. It’s so surreal that you’re here. I just love your book. I swear I couldn’t put it down, it was phenomenal. And after I read about the incident at the book signing I never thought I’d get an opportunity like this.”

Teal let out a strained laugh as she took the second girl’s book, signing it hastily before handing it back. It wasn’t quick enough though; Julian saw the title on the cover.

“Trust me, at this point not many do. Thank you for reading it though, it’s always wonderful to meet you guys. I had no idea it was popular over here,” Teal said, resting her head on her hand as she leaned against the table.

“So sorry for interrupting you two like this, thank you so so much for signing our books. I honestly cannot wait until your next novel comes out!” The taller one called Beth squealed, dragging the other one away from their table with her.

“Well, that was surprising,” Teal commented. “Now, where was I before that?”

“Teal, what’s your last name?” Julian asked slowly.

There was no hesitation when she met his eyes. “Emerson.”

He raised his hand from his lap, extending it across the table. “Could I please take a look at that book again?”

She pulled it out almost immediately, handing it over without a word. He opened the book, flipping immediately to the back sleeve. A picture of the author sat in black and white; a smiling girl with straight, long blond hair, a pen in one hand, and a familiar black notepad in the other. She wasn’t fat, but her cheeks were definitely a bit plumper, he realized. Below it was a description. T.J. Emerson had grown up in northern Florida, and started writing at the age of fourteen. Her first book and only book was published at age twenty, and had been hailed by most critics.

“Middle name Julie, I presume,” he commented idly, flipping through the pages.

“Jacqueline, actually,” she replied in a matching tone. He glanced up, examining her pale face; a few lose curls hanging around it.

“You’re definitely better off not blond,” he said.

She shrugged nonchalantly, picking up her coffee again. “Beating around the bush again?”

He let out a scoff, running his index finger lightly along his chin as he sat back, examining her.

“Well, Teal Jacqueline Emerson, things just got a bit more complicated, didn’t they?” he said, sliding the book back over to its writer.

“Only if you make them so,” she replied, smiling. “Now, we need to have another chat, don’t we?”

Julian’s green eyes watched her with intrigue, a bite of irritation, and more than a trace of fascination. “Yes, I think we very much do.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoying this, very much. The chapters just write themselves. I'll be stuck in the hospital for a few hours tomorrow morning because my dad's having surgery so I might have a chance to get the next one written.

I really hope you guys are enjoying this. >< Any feedback is appreciated.