Somewhere Only We Know

Stepping Up

I left Sullivan at the tree and walked home, well, after I pushed her into the lake. What can I say? I’m beyond pissed right now. First she comes to my spot and then freaks me out by crying her eyes out, I’ve never seen her cry before and it scared the shit out of me. Out of everything I’ve ever did to her she cries over her boyfriend, that’s fucked up. Then she starts to tell me about what happened, randomly says her boyfriend cheated on her, and then kisses me.

…And for a girl that never had sex before, she was quick to initiate it. Still, what sent me over the edge was how quick she got back with the guy. What was I? A pity hook up? No, No, Nix Paxton is no one’s pity fuck. Though I do that to other people…maybe this is karma taking a bite out of my ass.

Entering my backyard I slammed the gate closed, and then basically slammed every other door I came across as I made my way to my room. I made it clear that I was home, and not in a good mood. Walking in my room I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, but I ignored it. Passing my window to my closet I throw some clothes on my bed and grabbed a towel. After what I went through I need a shower. Exiting my room I made my way to the bathroom down the hall and walked in. Locking the door I turned the water on and stripped before throwing the clothes in the hamper. Stepping in the shower I let the water drench me and wash away any dirt on my body.

For some reason Sullivan’s screams from earlier were stuck in my head, and no matter how much I shook my head and tried to block them out they kept surfacing.

Shit, what have I done?

Image


Wrapping a towel around my waist I grabbed another towel and began drying my hair as I walked out of the bathroom, releasing steam as I opened the door. Walking to my room I heard voices from inside my younger sister’s room that turned into whispers and then silence as I passed her door. Not thinking twice about it I walked into my room, closed the door behind me and picked up my remote for my iHome. Pressing play music blared through the speakers when my door flew open. It was my sister Lynn, and Sullivan’s sister Viola.

“Seriously you girls couldn’t knock? Three more seconds and I would have dropped this towel,” I snapped at them, but all they did was roll their eyes.

“We need to talk,” Lynn said crossing her arms.

“Can’t it wait till I’m dressed?” and they shook their heads, “fine. What is it?”

Viola narrowed her eyes at me, “I want you to do something about Beau.”

Huh? “Who the hell is that?”

She then waved her hands in the air, “Hello! He’s only the guy dating my sister for the past two years. One would think with her room being right out that window you’d know something.”

Point dually noted, “If you haven’ notice we don’t exactly ride the same wave length,” I retorted and she let out an exasperated sigh.

“Well that jackass made her cry one too many times for my liking and I want him gone,” Viola said with a pretty nasty look in her eye.

I laughed, “So you want me to get rid of him? That’s funny, it really is. I mean, we want nothing to do with each other so if she wants do date him and constantly get hurt it’s her choice. I’m just an on looker watching her take a ride on Screwed Mountain.”

Viola clenched her fists at her side practically seething as Lynn walked up to me poking my chest, “you jerk! You know damn well that you should get rid of him. It’s your job to get rid of him, it’s your job to make sure she doesn’t cry, it’s your job to make sure no one hurts her, and what are you doing? Walking around hooking up with girls, and laughing at River as she drowns in her relationship,” she got in my face, “I bet you’re the reason why Mr. Sullivan rolls in his grave.” She growled and then left the room with Viola in hand as she slammed the door shut.

I leaned against the wall and slid down as her words sunk into me, I bet you’re the reason why Mr. Sullivan rolls in his grave, you’re the reason, YOU’RE the reason. I closed my eyes and hung my head remembering the day before Mr. Sullivan was deployed to Iraq. Viola and Lynn were only nine years-old and refused to let go of Mr. Sullivan’s waist as they cried. Mrs. Sullivan had tears in her eyes as she refused to say good bye, because she was sure he’d come back and then there was River. She didn’t cry, didn’t say good bye, but gave him a long hug, promised to write him, and then told him she’d see him later.

Then just before he left he pulled me aside and told me that I was to watch over River. Make sure she’s always happy, make sure she never gets hurt, and protect her for as long as he’s gone. Of course at the time I was confused because he knew that we always fought, but I agreed none the less. That was in the sixth grade, and then everything change during eighth. It was in the fall and River and I were having one of our arguments in front of her house when they pulled up. River had a smile on her face when she saw the white hat peak out of the car, but it quickly dismissed when she noticed neither of the men were her father.

I’ve never seen her mom cry so much the day they had to bury Mr. Sullivan, she nearly collapsed when she was handed a folded flag and my parents held her so she wouldn’t. Lynn hugged Viola as shots were fired into the air and the casket was lowered into the ground. That’s when I looked at River, completely emotionless, hollow looking, the biggest daddy’s girl who never said goodbye to her father, River. She didn’t cry, but the look in her eyes made it seem like she was completely broken inside, so I did the only thing I could think of. I looked away from her and held her hand.

Letting out a breath I didn’t know I was holding I got up, got dress, turned the music off and went to Lynn’s room. Not even knocking I walked in interrupting their conversation and leaned on the door after I closed it. They eyed me from where they sat on the bed like I was the most hated thing in the room. Protect her, his words floated through my head and I crossed my arms. “Fine, what do you two want me to do?” Then their glares turned into wide smiles as they gestured me forward to begin their evil plot.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe!