Status: :)

Dear Frankie,

Dear Frankie,

I never thought my life would have turned out the way it has, all because of a conversation with an insightful, sarcastic, loving and funny old man bored out of his mind at a nursing home. If I knew he would have changed my outlook on how people like us live our lives, I would have went to the nursing home a long time ago. Frenchie Ann Schwalts or as he would like to be referred to as Frankie, helped me become the man I am today.

Dear Frankie,

I was just writing you this letter to tell you how I turned out. I’m no longer a misguided girl looking for answers in the wrong things but a successful photographer following his dreams. Sometimes I just want to forget. Forget about all those times of feeling alone, insecure and unwanted because of what I am isn’t what my parents want their only “daughter” to be. Every one of those times I just want to forget I remember what you told me, “Don’t be who they expect, be who you don’t expect.” Since then I’ve learned to recognize the fact that I am no longer alone or insecure. I know that someone wants me for who I am. Thank you for everything you said to me that day, for helping me to accept myself for who am I and thank you for being there every time I came to the home in tears or with bloodied knuckles. Thank you for being my mentor and friend, without you I probably wouldn’t be here anymore.
I cannot begin to fathom what would have happened the night if you never found me. I probably would have been beaten to death, but you saved me. Thank you. I don’t pick fights anymore, since our time together I learnt a lot. I learned violence isn’t the answer but words don’t always work. “You have to be persistent if you want to achieve what you are aiming for.”
I’m going to miss going to the nursing home and hearing your sarcastic remarks and your smiling face. Everything about you has helped me to become successful. You were a wise man even if everyone thought you were a woman. I knew the difference. You just weren’t born with the correct parts to make you to be the man I know you are. Thank you for showing me the difference.
Asides from being a photographer I also started a website for those who were confused about sexuality, gender or life. It’s in your honour. Some of those inspiring words of ‘Frankie wisdom’ will forever be with me; I have them tattooed on my wrists. You’re words cover my words I carved in my darkest days. You were my light then, but now you will forever be my friend. I love you, Frankie. I’ll miss you more than I can begin to explain. Thank you for saving me and helping. Thank you for being you.
More importantly, I’m thankful for being sent to you for those darn community service hours after my vandalism rampage over the city.

-Sincerely, Donnie.


I carefully laid the letter on his closed casket. I hadn’t been able to see him before his passing, so this was my goodbye. It would never be goodbye, but a ‘see you later, Frankie.’ He passed away in his sleep from old age. He was ninety-seven years old and he lived them to the fullest. I was thirteen when I met Frenchie Ann Schwalts, fifteen when I met Frankie and now Frankie got to meet Donnie for the first time. Today was the day I said goodbye to Donna, because Frankie finally showed me that I am not her. When I saw that name on the tombstone said “Frenchie Ann Schwalts” not “Frankie Schwalts” I realized people didn’t see him as a male he was. When I die, it’s going to say “Donnie Brown” because I’m a male born in a woman’s body.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment.. Tell me if you want me to continue this. It was originally a short story, but if i get a enough feedback I'll will make it in to a multi-chapter story.