Chosen

Horseback Riding

The rest of the school day went by slowly. Very slowly. Since I still had the next three periods with Jace it made things awkward. In one I sat next to someone else. Then for the next since I had to sit next to him I said I had to go to the bathroom and then camped out there for about half the period. For ninth I swapped seats with someone. And every time I would do this he would look at me and give me puppy dog eyes which I ignored. He was going on a date with Kiley why would he need me after all? When the final bell rang I ran out of the classroom. I went to my locker put my coat on.

"Have you heard the news. I'm going on a date with Jace," I heard a voice say. I looked up to see Kiley standing above me. I felt rage rise up in me.

"Good for you. Now get out of my face," I growled standing up. Kiley looked at her friends and made her mouth into a o.

"Now no need to get jealous. There still is like a one percent chance he might go with you to the dance," she said. Her friends laughed and said that if I keep on dressing like that that percent would drop to a 0.1 percent. They all started to crack up. I pushed past them and ran outside. The cool air made me feel calmer. I headed towards the buses when suddenly I stopped.

I knew that there wasn't going to be any training today but I had a sudden urge to go to it. I got my phone out and texted my mom that I would be home late then turned around and headed around the school. A second later my phone vibrated. The text was from Jace.

Jace: Where are u?

I just stared at it.

Jace: Nickie please answer?

That was probably the first time since he told me that he was a werewolf that he had called me Nickie.

Jace: Nickie please!!!!!! I m so srry!

I put my phone away. I snorted. He probably didn't even mean it. I continued to walk along the path that led to the place. I felt my phone vibrate again. I picked it up and looked. It was a call from Jace. I shoved the phone back into my pocket. I had reached the place now. A chilly breeze was blowing the leaves around. My phone vibrated again. This time I picked it up.

"What do you want Jace?" I screamed into the phone.

"Nickie please listen-"

"No, will you just leave me alone. Go one your date with the biggest slut in Clear Creek," I cut him off.

"Nickie-"

"Just go Jace and don't call me again," I yelled hanging up. I slumped down onto the ground. My phone rang again and this time I chucked the phone across the clearing and that's when the tears came. Yes, I was crying because my best friend hated me now but I was also crying because Jace probably wished he wasn't my guardian. Because he was going on a date with my arch enemy. And worst of all I had no idea why this all bothered me. I didn't like Jace. I never have and I never will. Suddenly his blue and golden eyes flashed in front of me. Did I really like him?

"Need a tissue?" I hear someone say. I opened my eyes and found myself face to face with Jace who was holding out a tissue and had a worried look on his face. I scrambled to my feet.

"Go away," I yelled at him. He frowned.

"I didn't come all the way here just to hear you say that," he said frowning.

"Jace please will you just go away! Please!" I yelled and slumped back down on the ground. I buried my hands into my face hiding it from him. I heard him slowly sit down beside me.

"Why won't you just go?" I asked him.

"Because I think Kiley will kill me if I come back after I dumped her," I heard him say. I looked over at him.

"Y-you d-dumped her," I managed to stammer. He nodded.

"Why?" I asked. He shrugged handing me the tissue. I blew my nose into it.

"I decided I would rather be her with my Princess," he said smiling. I don't really know what happened next except the fact that I threw my arms around him hugging him. I felt him stiffen before he also hugged me back. When we broke apart I felt myself blush.

"I'm so sorry. It's just that no one had ever really dumped Kiley Brown for me ever before," I said embarrassed. He smiled. Then handed me something. It was my phone.

"Found it on the other side of the clearing," he said then frowned."Is that really what you do when people you are mad at call you? Chuck your phone at whatever is near you at that moment." I laughed. He helped me get up.

"Now time for some training Princess," he said. I nodded. He whistled and before I could ask why two beautiful horses galloped into the clearing. One was as black as the darkest time of night except for one spot in his chest which was as white as snow. The other gray with little flecks of white covering her. I walked forward slowly and touched the one which was gray. She made a little noise as I touched her. I smiled.

"They're beautiful," I breathed.

"Thought you would like them," Jace said as he walked over. I frowned.

"How did you know I like horses?" I asked. He smiled.

"While I was carrying you back to your house after the vampire attack you mumbled something in your sleep about horses," he said," And something about a blue ocean and a forest full of golden leaves." I blushed. The ocean and the forest part were what I pictured when I thought of Jace's eyes.

I looked at the grey horse again.

"I see you like Snowflake," he said. I nodded.

"Well good thing. She's yours." I whirled around to face his smiling face.

"You can't just give me a horse."

"It seriously is okay. The pack we have hundreds of horses. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if I gave you one," he said. I just stared at him in disbelief.

"I can't take her."

"Ah come on. She's fit for a princess just like you," he joked. I sighed.

"My mom would never allow it," I told him.

"I can keep her safe at the packs stables," he suggested. I just stood there for a second petting her.

"Thank you," I muttered. He walked over to the black horse.

"Do you know how to ride?" he asked. I nodded. When I had been seven I had taken horseback riding lessons. I had quit when Kiley made fun of me in school in seventh grade.

"Well, then what are you waiting for?" he said hopping onto his horse. I felt a smile spread across my face and I mounted Snowflake. It had been a couple of years since I had been on a horse so I nearly fell right back down. I felt Jace catch me.

"I thought you took horseback riding lessons Princess," he joked.

"I did. But I quit," I said as I ordered Snowflake to go forward. It felt a bit weird at first but after we started to head back towards the school I began to relax.

"Why?" Jace asked.

"Kiley made fun of me about it in front of the whole school," I told him. An awkward silence fell for a couple of moments before he asked,
"Why do you hate Kiley so much?"

"We used to be best friends. Me, her, Seth and Kate. But we went to this party and I did something stupid and accidentally changed. Kiley was the only one who saw me but she stopped being my friend. That's when we became arch enemies," I explained. He nodded as if he understood what I was saying.

"Is that why you got really mad at me when I said yes to her date?" I nodded.

"Or were you just jealous?" I blushed.

"I was not!'

"Were to."

"Was not."

"Then why did you hug me?" I froze and just shrugged. I watched as he looked at me.

"And why were you crying?" I froze.

"Seth got mad at me and wasn't talking to me," I said.

"Oh, you mean phony boy?"

"He is not phony," I said.

"Then catch me," he yelled and urged Tug his horse forward. I chased after him. I closed my eyes as I felt the wind blow through my hair. I suddenly felt really calm and like I was floating on air. All the problems and worries were gone. It was just me and Snowflake running together.

Suddenly I felt something touch my shoulder. Fear shot through me and I looked back. There was Jace sitting on his horse Tug laughing his butt off. I snorted and headed into the woods. I rode up the path that lead to the clearing. Jace followed. He dismounted so I did the same.

"That was so much fun," I told him. He smiled.

"I thought you might enjoy it," he said. We stood there in silence for a couple of seconds.

"How are you going to get them home?" I asked.

"They have been trained so that when I turn into a wolf they follow me back home," Jace explained. I nodded.

"What are you going to tell Kiley tomorrow?" I asked. He shrugged and looked down at his feet.

"What are you going to do about Seth?" he asked. I shrugged. Seth hadn't been on my mind ever since Jace had dumped Kiley but now that he had reminded me I felt a heavy weight fall onto my chest. I felt something warm touch my hand. I looked up to find Jace staring at me.

"I'll see you tomorrow Princess," he said then turned into a wolf.