Someday, Somewhere, Somehow

Chapter One

Sage saw the menacing eyes, pale white hands, and the glisten from the knife. Her heart was beating so hard in her chest, she thought it would burst.

Her bright, green eyes took a quick glance at the small figure of her five year old sister, too young to know what was going on. Tears fell down her soft cheeks as she gripped onto her small teddy bear.

Another bottle smashed against the wall at Sage's head, landing in the already large pile of glass. She felt a warm, gooey substance run down her face, and she knew that this time it had hit her.

Her head started to pound, as she reached her hand up to touch the spot where it had hit her. She felt quite a large gash, and winced as she touched it. Still, she stayed strong. She wouldn't show him any tears or any sign of weakness.

Yet another bottle was thrown, this time towards her sister. Sage threw herself over her sister's small body, taking yet another blow to the head.

She heard the faint sound of sirens, and the pierce of her sister's cry before her world went black.


---

Sage woke up in a sweat, breathing hard. She looked around the bus at the sleeping passengers and breathed a sigh of relief. It was only a nightmare.

She looked down at her sister, who was sound asleep in her lap. She ran her fingers through her soft hair, and smiled at her innocent face.

Scarlet and her sister were on their way to a boarding school along with the rest of the orphans from her town. They hadn't even made it to the orphanage before it closed down. Luckily, a boarding school had opened it's doors for them. It was a christian boarding school, which she wasn't too fond of, but she was thankful to have someone to take them in anyway.

Sage had never believed in a God. Why would a God put her through so much pain? Why would he leave her alone in the world. She never had understood it, she had casted God away as a part of a fantasy world.

She looked out the small window, at the sun that was slowly rising. The mix of reds, oranges, and purples always amazed her. It was like the sky was a canvas and someone had blended water colors into it. She hoped to be an artist someday.

She had pages and pages of sketches that she drew, that she had never shown anyone. She had never really had anyone to show. The only person she had ever trusted whole heartily was her sister. Every other person had walked out of her life in some way. She was independent, and that's all she would ever be.

She leaned her head against the window, her cheek touching the cool glass. She wondered if her life would be different here. If she would actually fit in.

Time would only tell.