Letters to a New Generation

“I could say it was a thousand different things that changed how I percieved myself then. It could have been the time when I stopped what I was doing – what I was thinking – and just glanced out the window. That glance turned into a full-blown stare. Because I wasn't just looking out the window. I was seeing – seeing the sunshine as it filtered through the tree branches to cast rays of light against carpet and skin. Or it could have been the dream I had seasons ago. In this dream I was standing at the edge of a forest and looking out over lush green hills that stretched as far as the eye could see. I was musing to myself. The view made me think that perhaps I should have felt insignificant among that infinite beauty, that glorious sunlit afternoon and the spirit-like breezes that blew across the grasses to make them bend and bow at the knees. But I never felt small. Indeed, the sight of that unknown field was exhilarating. I felt as if the earth had connected to a deep root within my very soul, and in those few moments of breathless anticipation, my face was the lightest and my eyes were the brightest that they had ever been. But looking back now I realize that the main thing was... I wasn't alone. There were others there with me, and after experiencing that luminous feeling myself, I felt the urge to help them understand. Perhaps they could feel the same.”
(A.B., 2011)
.