Status: More comments, more updates!

Like We Did

CHAPTER TWO

I park my car in front of Kennedy's house, taking out my phone and dialing Gabi's number. I sigh impatiently as it goes straight to voicemail.

"I'm going to kill her," I mutter under my breath as i get out of the car and walk to the front door.

She's up to something. I know it for a fact. The only problem is that I have yet to find out what that something is. I take a step back after ringing the doorbell once, crossing my arms over my chest and pursing my lips. After a few minutes, Kennedy comes to the door and smiles widely at me. I try to return it, but I find a frown surfacing quickly. He's changed a lot. Of course, what did I expect? That he'd be the same exact Kenny I knew in high school? I know I'm not the same Josie.

"Josie, you're here," he states.

Obviously... But I keep my thoughts to myself and simply nod my head. I find myself slightly disappointed on the inside that he doesn't throw his arms around me in excitement. He doesn't even say that he missed me, not that I expect him to. I left in a rush without even a simple goodbye. I haven't talked to him since I left.

"Is Gabi here?" I ask him.

He nods and motions for me to follow him inside. I find myself smiling at the familiarity of the house. At least it hasn't changed any. My smile quickly disappears, though, as we reach his living room, which is filled with people lying around on the floor and the worn leather couches. But it's not the fact that there are a bunch of people in Kenny's living room that upsets me. It's the fact that he is sitting in Kenny's living room. Garrett is here in the same room as me.

I slap myself mentally. You got over him a long time ago. He's not important. Just ignore him. Ignore him and he'll go away. Telling myself these things doesn't make it any better though. I still stand there, frozen, until he looks up and sees me, his jaw dropping. But no words come out of his mouth and the room becomes suddenly quiet. I shake my head quickly and push the hair back from my face, glaring at Gabi.

"We're going," I say through gritted teeth. "Now."

This is the maddest I've ever been. I'm convinced I'll implode right here and now.

"Josie, come on, just sit down for a couple-"

I put my hand up to stop her.

"Fine, you can stay if you want to. But I'm not-"

I'm cut off by my phone ringing. That stupid ringtone... Oliver chose it and I really can't stand it, despite how much I love him. I bite my lip and take my phone out. I can feel a million eyes on me as I do this, though maybe a few less than that. I shake my head and look at Gabi once more, completely avoiding eye contact with Garrett.

"It's him, isn't it?" Gabi asks quietly.

I don't answer, only glare at her.

"Josie don't answer is, please. Don't, just let him leave a voicemail. You can call him later, maybe."

I can't stand her whining tone anymore, so I simply open my phone and walk out of the room and out the door.

"Hello?" I answer quietly, biting my lip.

"Hey, are you alright?" Oliver asks at my tone.

I nod my head, but then realize he can't see me.

"Yeah, yeah. I just... Gabi and I got into an argument. That's all."

I hear him sigh sadly.

"Already?"

"Unfortunately, yes."

"I'm sorry to hear that, love."

There's a short pause between us and I start to laugh.

"What?" Oliver asks, confused.

"It's just that, I thought a few things might've changed while I was gone, but really, everything has changed. It's not the same Tempe that I remember," I explain.

"Oh," he says simply.

I wish he would say more, but he doesn't. This is just typical Oliver. A man of many words... Someone says something in the background, though I can't make out who it is or what they're saying.

"Darling, I'm sorry. I've got to be going, but you at least try to have fun while you're there. Make the best out of it."

"I will," I say quietly.

"Goodbye Josie. I'll call you tomorrow."

"Bye," I say in barely a whisper.

As I hang up the phone, I feel like I might burst into tears. Everything about today is ruined. I hadn't planned on seeing Garrett or Kenny or anyone else from my past for that matter. I hadn't wanted to see them. But I did, and that's the problem.

"Josie?"

I jump at the sound of my name, or maybe it was more because of the voice saying my name. I don't turn around. I can't turn around. My body has grown too stiff and my feet are frozen to the ground. My heart races at a speed that shouldn't be possible. What is going on with me? Garrett and I were over a long time ago, so why am I so upset about seeing him?

He says my name again and I shake my head quickly.

"Don't."

It's the only word I can get out.

"Don't what?" he asks, and I'm surprised at how close his voice is.

I take three quick steps forward, away from him and his voice that sends chills down my spine. I look over my shoulder, glancing at him.

"Just..."

I pause for a moment, our eyes meeting and my frown deepening.

"Don't talk to me. Please?"

Garret runs his hands through his hair, making it even messier than before.

"Josie, I just-"

"Garrett! Just stop!" I practically yell at him.

I look behind him and can see Gabi looking through the front window, watching us. Our eyes meet and she quickly scurries away.

"I have to go," I mumble, shaking my head.

I turn and walk quickly to my car, looking back for only a second. I'm not sure what I expected to see. I'm not sure what I wanted to see. But when I catch a glimpse of Garrett walking back inside Kenny's house, I find myself frowning and on the verge of tears. I find myself wishing he'd watch me go with sad eyes or come after me, or even call me. But the feeling passes quickly and I find myself driving in the opposite direction of "home".
♠ ♠ ♠
Josie's outfit

Okay guys, I know this is super short. Forgive me!!! Stick in there though, because the next one or two chapters are going to be quite interesting...

Thank you to those who commented:
la dispute.
forevernalways

I would love it if I got more comments for this chapter! Let's have less silent readers. I like to hear what you have to say! More comments, more updates.

Check out my John stories! Some Days or Comes Around! You would be amazing if you did!

Write well, Mibbians!
-Marie