Status: Completed!

Tomorrow's a New Day

Tomorrow's A New Day



If the day’s earlier event wasn’t enough, losing to the Marlie’s was the cherry on the top. For Marcus Foligno, the bad day went well with the date. Bad call after bad call ruined any the chances of going home with two points. This was just not his day.

The locker room had filed out ten minutes ago. Marcus sat at his stall, replaying the game in his head as he played with a roll of tape in his hands. That OT goal was enough to send the roll across the room. The echo in the room caused a sound wave to spread, making Lily jump.

She was just making her rounds. It had been a long day with classes, homework, and work. She never even got a chance to eat. A grilled cheese at her favorite dinner was calling her name but with one of the players still here, it was going to be a while.

She stood right outside the door, the swearing and collision of an object and a wall were load and clear to her. She was slightly scared that if she walked in, her head would be the next target but she has a job to finish, and a stomach to feed.

With a sigh, she opened the door slowly ready to duck anything flying in the air. When it seemed safe, she took a step in the locker room.

#71 sat at his stall running his hands through his wet hair. His tie hung loosely around his neck and his suit jacket hung up behind him. Feeling a presence in the room, he looked up.

Marcus had seen her around before various times. She was usually quiet and reserved. But then again, he never really had a chance to talk to her. She looked nervous being here with him. The signs obvious as she wrung her hands and spoke with a cautious tone, “Um, I need to close up.”

“Right…sorry.” He replied standing and sliding on his jacket. As he pulled on his beanie he watched as she walked around the room picking up scraps of tape here and there.

“You had a good game.” She said as she worked, getting closer to Marcus’ stall. He moved his bag and picked up whatever trash was around and handed it to her with a shrug.

“Could’ve gone better.” He mumbled.

“Probably. Hopefully we get better refs tomorrow.” He let out a small snort, remembering thinking the same thing minutes ago. “You ready to play again?” She asked, glancing up at him ever few gazes. Marcus just shrugged. “You seemed kinda out of it today.” She mumbled. Lily had never really talked to any of the hockey players while working here. Her job had her in different places as them and by the time she cleaned up the locker room, they were all gone. Not having enough opportunities to speak to any of them, she wasn’t sure how Marcus would take her bringing up his playing.

Marcus was surprised to say the least. He wouldn’t have suspected her to point out his playing up front.

“Sorry. I shouldn’t have said that.” She mumbled moving done the line. The silence was enough to tell her she stepped over some kind of line.

“No…it’s alright. I could have played better.” He admitted more nicely then what he was telling himself.

“You just need to shake it off. The game’s over. You’ve got another one to worry about.” She said with a shrug.
“Easier said than done.”

“Maybe you just need to get your mind off of it. Do something that makes you happy. You won’t even be thinking about tonight or tomorrow’s game.” Lily suggested.

As Lily threw away everything that was in her hand, she turned to Marcus. He had continued to watch her, not a hundred percent sure how to take what she said. The feeling of stepping over that line came flooding over Lily again.

“This may be a little…forward but, I’m heading to this small diner for dinner. Maybe…if you just wanna get away from everything, you’re welcome to join.” She offered. It was a long shot. Did she seriously believe Marcus Foligno would join her for dinner after their first meeting? Lily tried to tell herself it wasn’t a date but more of a ‘get away’ as she put it.

“I think I’m just gonna head home. Thanks though.”

“Okay…well I’ll be at Dan’s Diner if you change your mind. Nice talking to you.” She said, leaving the room with a tiny wave.

Walking to his car, his mind wasn’t on the game he just lost but instead the petite brunette that seemed to have a soothing effect over him. If anyone else had told him that he played well tonight, he might’ve rolled his eyes or shrugged them off but this…it was almost sincere. Like she thought it would be enough to get him to lighten up after the loss.

Maybe a beer would do better. He thought but he’d be on his own and drinking alone never leads to positive results. There’s beer in the house. But he’d rather not see any of his teammates just yet. There is the diner. His mind told him before he realized what exactly he was thinking.

I don’t know her. She could be some crazy person. But seeing her stand there proved she was far from crazy. She looked…nice. She gave him an offer because she’s nice. She would be by herself.

Marcus gripped his steering wheel hoping maybe it’ll give him some sort of decision.

“What the hell?” He put his car in drive and pulled out of his spot.

---

“Thanks Dan.” Lily said smiling up at the owner. Her grilled cheese smelled delicious sitting right in front of her. The fifteen minute drive and the ten minute wait will defiantly be worth this cheesy sandwich. As she set her napkin on her lap, the bell over the entrance door rang, signaling another customer. What Lily wasn’t expecting as she lifts the corner of the grilled cheese to her mouth was to see Marcus Foligno take the spot across from her.

“Hello—“

“I played like shit tonight.” Lily furrowed her brows, “My head wasn’t in the game and I played like shit. I could’ve done better and I didn’t. I half assed everything and we probably could of walked out of there with two points. And I’m pissed at myself which makes me dreading tomorrow’s game.” He finished with a sigh; relaxing back in his booth like a weight was lifted off his shoulders.

Lily set her sandwich down and clasped her hands together in front of her, “Things could have gone differently tonight but there are more causes to tonight’s results beside you not being focused. In my opinion, the refs made bad calls, the team didn’t step up after Leggio was hit, and most of you half-assed it, not just you. There wasn’t enough heart in the game.”

With Marcus just staring at her, she picked up her sandwich and took a bite, pushing the other half in Marcus’ direction. He shook his head no but Lily insisted, “It won’t bite, I promise,” She grinned, “It’ll be the best grilled cheese you’ve ever had.”

Marcus leaned his elbows on the table, his gaze falling on the mouthwatering grilled cheese in front of him. The growl in his stomach was enough to make up his mind. He ripped a corner off one side and put it in his mouth, his eyes closing as his taste buds went wild as he chewed the best grilled cheese he ever had.

“Told you.” Lily smirked, causing Marcus to grin.

“You’re right.”

“About the sandwich?”

“Yes…and no. You’re right about the game. My head and my heart weren’t in it tonight. I was somewhere else mentally and it cost us.”

“Don’t forget about the refs.” Lily reminded. Marcus chuckled, breaking off another piece of the sandwich.

“That too.”

“So, if you don’t mind me asking…where was your heart tonight?” Marcus didn’t look up at the brunette in front of him. Could he really confide in a girl he just met? “You don’t have to tell me. I shouldn’t have asked.”

“No, it’s alright. I just…was having some…girlfriend problems.” He mumbled quietly.

“Oh, sorry. Do…you wanna talk about it?”

“Not really.” She smirked; happy she wouldn’t have to play Dr. Phil with the Forward.

“Then we’ll talk about something else.” Just as she said it, Lily’s phone buzzed in her pocket. Pulling it out and looking at the screen. Her facial expression happy.

“Everything okay?” Marcus asked, the brunette looking up at him with a shy smile.

“Yeah sorry. The Sabres won.”

“How do you know?”

“I follow them on Twitter. Can’t watch every game so I need my updates.” He smirked.

“So you’re a hockey fan?”

“What gave it away?”

“So what exactly do you do at BCA? I think I’ve only seen you like three times since being here.”

“I do a little bit of everything. Sometimes I’ll be in the offices then the next game working the concession stands. It changes every so often.”

“Sounds exciting.”

“Maybe we can trade jobs. Then I can say I’ve done everything.” Marcus laughed just picturing this small girl dressed in hockey equipment standing beside Joe Finley. That would defiantly be a funny sight to see.

“I’m sure we can work something out.” Lily smiled realizing that Marcus Foligno was joking with her. Moments like these never happened to Lily and now that it was occurring right in front of her…she blushed.

“Here you go Lily. One cookies and cream milkshake, just how you like it.” Dan the owner said, taking her empty grilled cheese plate away and replacing it with a tall glass.

“Thanks Dan.” She smiled at Dan before taking her spoon and scooping up some whipped cream. She looked up at Marcus to see him gazing at the milkshake, that look of wanting written all over his face. “Would you like some?” She offered.

“No, I can’t. I shouldn’t.” Lily did the same thing she did with the plate and pushed it towards him.

“I promise not to tell.” Marcus shook his head but only need a second to decide. He picked up a spoon and scooped some and ate it, savoring the sweetness of the milkshake.

“Is this what you do after every game?” Marcus asked once he swallowed the creamy shake.

“Yeah, I don’t have time to eat before the game so instead of starving myself, I come here.” Marcus looked around the empty diner. They were the only two people not working the late hours.

“What do you do when you’re not working?”

“Go to school, do homework, maybe even some laundry. It’s a tough life.” She joked.

“What are you studying?”

“Sports management.”

“That’s cool. What do you want to do with that?”

“Event planning, preferably with a hockey team.”

“Any team in specific?” He could picture her working with a hockey team. She was obviously a fan and come on…hockey’s a great sport to work in.

“Not really. I’d go wherever opportunity called.” She shrugged. Lily looked at her phone, noticing the late time. The time since Marcus arrived had flown by as their conversation was as casual as a first conversation could be. “We should probably get going. The diner’s closing soon.”

“Here’s the check, and a to-go cup.” Dan said appearing out of nowhere. Lily started to pour what remained of her milkshake when she saw Marcus reach behind him and into his back pocket. Before he could pick up the check, Lily slapped her hand over it.

“Don’t even think about it.” She told him as she pulled the paper towards her. She dug around her bag for her money and set it on the table. Marcus slowly put his wallet away and couldn’t help but just stare at this girl, Lily.

She was a plain Jane. If you were just looking at her, you’d find nothing distinctive about her. Brown hair pulled back by a rubber band, her brown eyes were the color of milk chocolate, freckles dotted across the bridge of her nose. She could blend in with a crowd if you didn’t know who she was or snow if she was surrounded by it. She wasn’t what Marcus was use too; tall, blonde, blue eyes, and extremely tan. Lily was small in stature, short and thin, her skin showed the obvious effects of a cold winter season. She was the definition of plain.

“You ready?” She pulled Marcus out of his trance and nodded, standing up and walking out the front of the diner with Lily. They stood outside the diner, their cars in opposite directions in the lot. “Thanks for coming. It’s nice to have someone to talk too.”

“Thanks for inviting me.” Marcus said.

“Look, don’t think about the game, either game. Just hang with your friends; maybe work it out with the girlfriend. Tomorrow’s a new day.” Lily advised. Marcus gave her a small smile, nodding to her advice.

“I’ll try.”

“Then I will maybe see you tomorrow. Have a good night.” Lily smiled and walked to her beat up old Jeep. Marcus turned on his heel heading to his much newer vehicle. Just as he was unlocking it, he saw Lily’s Jeep back up and pull up to the street, making a right turn.

As his car warmed up, Marcus just played back everything that had occurred moments before. He was surprised that he had taken the offer to meet her at the diner. Lily was not someone he could imagine being friends with, or even talking too. If it wasn’t for her odd job of the day, he probably never would have glanced her way. But there was a reason to her walking into that locker room after the game. There was a reason why she tried to help him out. But what was the reason?

Once warmed up, Marcus drove towards his place. He figured Kassian would either be asleep or out with the guys. There was no way his girlfriend would be waiting for him, not after today’s argument. At least he could relax.

Just like he assumed, his roommate was out. Marcus changed out of his stiff suit into something more comfortable. He checked his laptop for anything new and climbed into bed, letting out a sigh. With his eyes closed, his muscles released from their tense posture. He let his mind clear from all those stressful thoughts as he thought about what he was going to do tomorrow.

Morning skate, workout, eat, sleep. And maybe I’ll call Tiffany. Just thinking about it made him groan in frustration. He needed to take the advice of the short brunette and find something to clear his mind, something to make him not think about tomorrow’s game.

Tomorrow’s a new day.
♠ ♠ ♠
YAY! I fixed it. Thankfully I had it saved on my computer. Lesson learned: Type everything in a document.

Hope you enjoyed the first chapter!!

With Love,
<3