Status: Completed!

Tomorrow's a New Day

You Need a Break

If you could see that I'm the one who understands you. Been here all along so why can't you see? You belong with me. You belong with me.

The song playing didn't match the dream Lily was having. It stirred her from her sleep and slowly she came to her senses. Opening her eyes, she was met with a broad chest, strong arms wrapped around her, keeping her warm and from falling off the couch. And the smell, a lingering scent that clung to this figure.

If you could see that I'm the one who understands you. Been here all along so why can't you see? You belong with me. You belong with me

This time Brayden moved, the music ending his peaceful sleep, "What is that?" He grumbled.

"My phone." But Lily made no move to answer it, content with where she was.

"What time is it?" Lily shrugged as she closed her eyes. Brayden shifted his head so he could see the glowing time on the cable box across the room, "We need to get up. We leave in a couple hours."

"I don't wanna get up." Brayden smirked. Lily's grip on the front of his shirt tightened. He didn't want to go anywhere either but work calls.

"You can sleep more on the bus." He whispered into her ear. Chills shivered down her spine feeling his hot breath against her ear.

"Fine but you're buying me a Tim Horton's."

With that as enough persuasion, both got up and dressed. Lily cooked a simple meal for breakfast, wasting enough time before they had to meet the team at the bus.

Lily sat by herself with her steaming hot, hot chocolate and rested her head against the window, iPod plugged in to her ears.

If you could see that I'm the one who understands you. Been here all along so why can't you see? You belong with me. You belong with me

Grabbing her phone, she realized it was her iPod playing not her phone. But it reminded her that someone called and left a voicemail, "Hey Lily, it's me. I figured you'd be on your way to Syracuse right now. We've got a game against the Wild, but I'm sure you already knew that. Give me a call when you can...no one...no stop....Dude what the hell?...Hey Lily, it's Tyler Ennis. I'm gonna steal your number from your boyfriend. I'll text you later. Bye Lily."

Lily covered her mouth to keep from laughing out loud. Knowing now that it was Marcus that called, she would of answered. But thinking how comfortable she was next to Brayden was too hard to give up.

What was going on? First she likes Marcus but then he leaves and who knows when he's coming back. They constantly text and call. They check up on each other; Lily with her school and work, Marcus with his bad game and doubts.

But then there's Brayden who's been stepping in, hanging out with her and last night...she could get use to that. And he was here...with her. Not that the thought of him being sent up again didn't phase her.

What am I even thinking? These boys are just friends. I'm no where in their league to be considered anymore than that. Stop giving yourself hope because it'll never happen.

That's exactly what her mother would say, "You have more important things to worry about. Boys won't win you titles and glory. You'll just be a whore and sponsors don't like whores."

So for the rest of the bus ride, Lily reminded herself that she wasn't worthy to be with Marcus or Brayden...or any guy at that.

---

The win against Syracuse had everyone going into Wednesday's game in Albany ready for a win. But when the boys came back, the box score had the Devils winning 2-1.

The Amerks need a win. And with back to back home games against the Marlies they had their chance to clinch a playoff spot.

Friday's game was close, both teams giving up four goals each but it was the Amerks that gave up the fifth in overtime. The game was brutal and going into the second game, Lily thought the boys would be out for blood. Unfortunately, Lily was wrong. The team lost 0-1 in regulation time, the Marlies leaving Rochester with four points.

The Amerks lost two of their defensemen to the Sabres due to injuries up top, Brayden being one of them. A key player needed that Saturday in Rochester.

After the weekend, the Amerks were headed to Abbottsford for two games, leaving Lily in Rochester alone. Both Brayden and Marcus called, knowing the situation, "Hello?"

"Hey Lily, how's it going?" Brayden said.

"Good, I'm just packing up for break. Are you sure I can stay at your place? I don't want to--"

"It's fine Lily. Lukers isn't even there. So are you done with school?"

"Yes! I can finally rest...until I need to go to the gym."

"Are you gonna watch the Sabres game tonight? It should be good."

"I'm gonna try. It depends on my lessons."

"Okay. So are you leaving school now?"

"No, I've got a lot I need to do before I leave. I'm packed but I need to clean the room."

"Oh okay, well you've got a key to the house. Make yourself at home."

"Thanks Brayden. I really appreciate this."

"Anything for you Lily."

"Is she still at her dorm?" Marcus asked once Brayden hung up.

"Yup, packed and everything."

"This'll be easy then."

Lily had just finished washing her dishes and began preparing the floor to be vacuumed. She hated leaving the room dirty if she would be gone a long time.

Her bags were packed and her roommate took off last night. How a nursing major got out of two days worth of classes was a mystery but Lily didn't question.

Brayden had offered up his room to her when she mentioned having Easter break, but at the time he was going to be in Rochester(like the first time) once the Amerks were finished in Abbottsford.

Just as she plugged in the vacuum her dorm room door bursted open and two large bodies entered, "I'll get the girl!"

"I've got her bags!"

"What are you--Put me down!" Lily was tossed over Marcus' shoulder and carried out, Brayden behind them with her bags, "You need to lock the door!" Bryaden stopped and went back while Marcus kept going, "Marcus, what are you going? People are watching! Put me down!" And indeed people were watching, all of them assuming that this wasn't an actual kidnapping but friends messing around.

Lily heard a car door open and she was suddenly thrown into the back seat of an SUV. Through the window, Brayden was running towards the car with two bags and her backpack. He tossed those at Lily than got in the passenger seat. Marcus already had the car started.

"What the fuck is wrong with you two?" Lily asked as Marcus peeled out of the parking lot barley avoiding the many walking students.

"We're kidnapping you. We thought that was pretty obvious." Marcus answered sarcastically.

"Are you out of your minds? I have jobs and homework to do!"

"Lily, why must you doubt us? We called Target and the studio and I grabbed your backpack. You're all set." Brayden said, very proud of his plan.

"You didn't get me fired, did you?" Lily panicked, terrified what these two did.

"Of course not! We told them you had a family emergency."

"So if anyone asks, your Great Aunt Gertrude died." Marcus told her.

"And they fell for that?" That seemed unbelievable, "Wait. Why are you two here? You've got a game tonight!" Lily realized. And it was a huge game against the Leafs but they're here in Rochester.

"That's why we came to get you. You're going to our games while on break." Brayden said.

"Oh that's...wait two of your games are away. I can't stay with the team!"

"She doesn't think we thought all this through." Marcus said to his teammate.

"Ye with little faith."

"So what's this brilliant plan?" Lily asked, relaxing into the backseat.

"We got you a room in Buffalo, Philly and Boston. And the airplane tickets to each place. Your flights leave before ours so we'll just meet up with you when we get there." Brayden explained.

"Wow...that is a good plan."

"And we got tickets for all three games." Marcus added.

"Where am I sitting?"

"We've got a special seat for Buffalo, but you'll be right next to the bench in Philly and Boston."

"Those ticket are ridiculous guys! The nose bleeds would of been fine!" Lily felt bad these guys spent that much money on her.

"Only the best for you Lily. Besides, the guys are helping out. They're excited to meet you."

"...the guys? What guys?" Both boys laughed.

"The team of course!" Lily's eyes widened. The team was excited? The Sabres team? Lily just imagined making a fool of herself in front of the same guys she looked up too.

"You needed a real vacation and a trip to Buffalo, Philadelphia, and Boston is just for you." Marcus said.

"I don't have anything packed for hockey games. Just leotards and sweats."

"Already taken care of."

"We were also able to talk to some of the people with Communications. They're going to talk to you before the game."

"What do you mean?"

"We explained that you intern with the Amerks and want to go beyond that and they suggested meeting you tonight before the game."

"Oh my god...are you serious? That's amazing! But I don't have business clothes."

"You worry too much. You don't need business clothes."

"Marcus, I'm meeting with the Buffalo Sabres Communications people. I need to look professional."

"I'm sure whatever you packed with be fine."

So the kidnapping became a mini vacation for Lily. And she was getting the chance to spend it with her two best friends.

By the time they made it to Buffalo, the boys dropped Lily off at her hotel and returned to their homes for a nap, "I'll pick you up for game time." Marcus informed her.

Lily spend the next hour and a half walking around Buffalo for a nice outfit to wear for tonight's game. The boys obviously didn't believe her when she said she only packed sweats I was going to be working out all week, I'm gonna pack sweats..

At the hotel Lily showered and changed. She straightened her hair thankful she packed her iron. With some make-up she looked presentable...until Marcus and others walked into her hotel room a few minutes later, "You guys make me look bad!" Lily whined.

Marcus, Cody Hodgson, and Tyler Ennis walked into the small room dressed to the nines in their suits and beanies.

"Guys this is Lily." Marcus introduced, helping Lily into her jacket.

"It's nice to meet you two in person." She said.

"Same to you." Cody replied.

"It's nice to know you're not make believe." Tyler teased, casually looking Lily up and down.

"I'm as real as they come. Shall we?" Lily grabbed her bad and the key to the room, following the sharp dressed men to their car.

"I'll bring you to the press box to meet Chrisanne. She'll bring you down to the locker room when you're done. After that there's one more person I want you to meet." Marcus informed her.

"I can't thank you enough for this. This is amazing." Marcus smiled at her, squeezing her hand.

Marcus kept to his word, introducing her to Chrisanne who gave her a play-by-play of what's going on. Chrisanne even suggested sending in her resume when she was looking for internships in the next year, "Of course, it would be an honor to work here."

After the small tour, Chrisanne returned Lily to Marcus who was gathered around a couple of the other players, "How was it?" Marcus asked.

"Wonderful! She showed me everything and I met a whole bunch of people. She even told me to mail in my resume for internships next year!"

"I will personally fill out the application." Tyler E. offered.

"That's great, Lily. I'm happy for you." Marcus wrapped Lily in a hug and began touring the area, his arm around her shoulders the whole way. He introduced her to more and more people and showed her the locker room and everything else. When they finished, Marcus informed her of one more person she had to meet.

"Who is it?" Lily asked, the excitement of the night seeping from every pore on her body.

"You'll see." The two turned the corner where several people stood talking. The only one Marcus wanted to talk to spotted him and excused himself from the group. "Hey dad." Lily froze mid step as the words passed through Marcus' lips.

"Marcus! Ready for the game?"

"Of course. Dad, this is my friend Lily. Lily, this is Mike Foligno, my dad."

"So you're the Lily he's been talking about? It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Y-you too, Mr. Foligno."

"Oh please, call me Mike. Mr. Foligno makes me sound old."

"That's 'cuz you are." Marcus teased, "Lily's gonna join you for the game." Lily looked up at Marcus like he grew a third head I'm sitting where?

"Great, we can get to know each other." Mike looked at his watch, "You should get going. Don't worry, I'll take good care of her." He said with a kind smile.

"Okay, I'll see you guys after the game." Marcus gave Lily's shoulder a squeeze and headed back to the locker room.

"So Marcus tells me you work with the Amerks?" Mike started as he led Lily to their seats.

"Yeah, I'm interning with them."

"And what do you do?"

"A little of everything. It's different every game."

"When did you and Marcus become friends? I hadn't heard of you until January."

"That's actually when we met. I wasn't around the team much before that."

"He's had nothing but good things to say about you." Mike assured her.

While sitting in their seats, various people approached Mike, talking business or about his sons. This gave Lily the chance to soak everything in. Here she was in Buffalo, at a Sabres game, sitting besides THE Mike Foligno, Marcus' dad, Isn't that what happens in relationships? You meet the family? But Lily and Marcus weren't in a relationship, as Lily kept reminding herself.

"Sorry I'm late!" A young woman said. Mike stood and hugged her, "You must be Lily. It's so nice to finally meet you! We've heard great things about you. I'm Lisa, Marcus' sister." Lisa offered Lily her hand to shake, which Lily took nervously, The sister too? "Switch with me dad." Lisa and her father changed places so she could talk to Lily without leaning over her dad. "So tell me about yourself. Marcus has already told us so much, but it would be nice to hear it from you."

So before, during, and after warm-ups, Lily and Lisa exchanged stories of one another, both learning new things about the other. Lisa told Lily stories of Marcus from their past, and Lily shared her own tales of the Foligno son, "Well it's good to hear that my brother is behaving in Rochester. Oh, the game's gonna start!"

And what a game it was! Marcus had an amazing hit seconds into the game, and then is penalized for a fight. Even Brayden fought! But the Leafs scored three times, making the win seem out of reach. This was an important game. The light was slowly dimming. All they needed was a spark.

In the second period, that's exactly what they got. Two goals scored by Tyler Ennis and Alexander Sulzer. And if the second period wasn't a whirl wind, the third period kept the crowd on the edge of their seats. The Leafs took the lead only to have Derek Roy score next, followed by a Leafs goal. Sulzer got his second of the night. Two minutes were left in the game with the Sabres down by one. Lisa had a hold on Lily's arm when a scramble in front of the Leafs net broke out. Every stick poked at the invisible puck until the little black disk made its way over the goal line and the Sabres tied it up! The arena jumped with cheers, Sabres fans hugging each other. Lily and Lisa were no different jumping to their feet and hugging each other. Both excited Marcus was a part of all of it.

With the extra point, the Sabres and Leafs went into overtime, something Lily was never fond of. She held her breath every time the puck got close to either net. She thought she was going to turn blue when the Sabres passed the puck out of the defensive zone and to the opposite side of the ice. The air was finally released when Tyler Ennis passed Derek Roy the puck and the puck slid past the players and Leaf goalie, lighting the lamp.

The doubt Lily, and probably everyone else in the building once had, washed away as the team gathered on the ice in a celebratory team hug. They worked hard and ended up with a win. Another chance at playoffs was possible with two games left in the regular season. The boys had a chance. And they were going to fight till the end.

Once the three stars were names, Lily and the Foligno's made their way down to the locker room to congradulate the team on a big W. The Foligno's chatted with other family members who complimented on Marcus' first star performance. Lily opted to hang in the back. No one knew her and she already felt like she was intruding by sitting with Marcus' family. Not many noticed her, being the plain girl anyways, but when a tall brunette approached, she was slightly nervous, "Are you Lily? Marcus' friend?" she asked.

"Um yeah?"

"Oh good! I didn't want to look silly if I couldn't find you. I'm Ally, Nathan Gerbe's girlfriend. He told me a new girl was coming and I wanted to make sure you felt welcome. It can be pretty overwhelming here but everyone is so nice." Lily smiled at Ally. She was much taller than Lily (most were) but unlike some girls Lily has seen hanging off the arms of hockey players, she was...average, like her Maybe there is hope, "Where did you sit?"

"With the Foligno's."

"And you're going on the road trip too? Nate said that Marcus and Nabbers had this whole 'kidnapping' plan and all. I think that's so cute they're doing that!"

Ally never stops talking.

Ally continued talking about how she was going on the road trip as well and how she was Lily's plane buddy since she and Lily couldn't fly with the team.

Families applauded the smiling team as they entered the family lounge. Everyone crowed the door, making Lily's view blocked. She bobbed and weaved trying to look through the bodies for her friends. Even if guys like Jason Pominville or Cody Hodgson walked into her view, there was one person she wanted to see, and he was standing with his family, a smile stretched ear to ear as his father patted him on the back.

Marcus hugged his sister who was talking a mile a minute about her brothers game and performance. When he could finally get a word in he asked, "Where's Lily?" The three Foligno's looked around the room but it was Marcus who made eye contact with his short friend. She looked so small. Lily smiled when she saw Marcus.

"We'll see you later, Marcus. Good luck on the road." His dad said, excusing he and his daughter to talk to someone else.

Marcus brushed past the people who patted his back and complimented his game to make it to Lily. He lifted the small woman off the ground, squeezing her tightly before setting her back on her feet, "Did I do good?" He asked, his hands resting on her waist.

She shrugged, "Alright I guess. A goal would of been nice. You could of had a Gordie Howe hat trick."

"There is just no pleasing you, is there?" Lily smiled and hugged Marcus' waist.

"You did great."

"What about us?" Brayden's familiar voice questioned from behind Marcus. Lily leaned over and saw Brayden, Corey, TJ, and a few other Sabres she chatted with on Skype.

"You guys did amazing!" She answered, letting go of Marcus and hugging all of them. Tyler Ennis opened his arms for Lily to shyly walk into.

"Enzo, who's the girl?" Jason Pominville asked.

"This is my future girlfriend, Lily." Lily blushed, hiding her face in her hands.

"I don't think so, Enzo." Marcus said, pulling Lily from his teammates arms and into his own.

"So this is the famous Lily? We've heard a lot." Jason said.

"Now I'm scared." Lily mumbled causing the team to laugh.

"Bring her around more often. You play great with her here." Derek stated.

"She's going on the road with us." Marcus told them.

The team welcomed her aboard and headed out for a good nights rest before their flight to Philadelphia in the morning.

Lily rode with the same crew from before back to Tyler E's place where Marcus could change before he took Lily back to the hotel; wanting to spend a couple minutes alone with her.

As she waited, Lily stood in the entrance of the hockey home as Marcus went upstairs. Where he was staying wasn't over the top like Lily thought. It had similar qualities as his place back in Rochester. It brought out the normal side to their professional lives.

Marcus had trade his suit and tie for comfortable sweats. In his left hand was a suitcase, Lily assumed, was packed with his belongings for the road trip. She didn't expect Marcus to stay with her at the hotel but she certainly didn't mind, "Figured it would be easier to get you to the airport. Your flight's around the same time as ours." Marcus explained as he grabbed his keys and walked out to his car.

At the hotel, Lily changed as well, coming out of the bathroom to find Marcus sitting on the bed, his hands behind his back and a big grin on his face, "I've got something for you." Lily set her clothes on her bags and took the spot across from Marcus, "Okay so originally I was going to give you the one from the Senators game but I thought tonight was more important since you were there."

From behind his back, Marcus pulled out the dark blue fabric that was a Sabres jersey. But not just any Sabres jersey. his jersey.

Lily's eyes widened, "Are you kidding me? Marcus, this is nice of you but this was a great game, one of your best! You should keep that."

"I've got plenty. I want you to have it." He handed Lily the jersey. She unfolded it, seeing the name Foligno and 82 stitched largely on the back.

"It stinks." Lily commented, the smell lingering from the victory.

"That's the smell of greatness."

"Are you going to sign it for me?"

"If you want." Out of no where, he uncapped a black Sharpie.

"Wow." Lily teased, laying the jersey in front of Marcus who situated it on his knees.

"I'm going to write you a message." Marcus told her.

"I know what you should write, 'Dear Lily, You are an amazing person. You mean more to me than any Stanley Cup title. Never lose touch. Love your friend, Marcus Foligno'." Marcus gave her a look and began writing in one of the numbers, "Let me see." Marcus moved away from Lily, hiding what he was writing from her, "That's not fair!" She lunged at him but he dodged, getting off the bed and finishing the message. He folded the jersey back up and put it on her bag. "I want to see it." Lily got off the bed to get the jersey.

"I don't think so." Marcus stopped her, picking Lily up and tossing the feather light girl back on the bed with a bounce. He crawled on the bed, putting an arm around Lily to keep her from escaping.

Both laid side by side facing each other. No words passed. just the comfort of being in each others presence. Lily curled into Marcus' chest, taking in her friend that was taken away for far too long.

"I'm really glad you came."

"I'm really glad you kidnapped me." Lily mumbled.

"I should of done it a long time ago." Marcus said with a smirk.

Lily closed her eyes. With every word, Marcus didn't realize what kind of effect he was having on Lily. This is what she wanted, to be this close and hear him say how much he wants her around. Was it all a tease though? Was God dangling Marcus in front of her, and every time she got close, he was pulled away from her grasp, while God just sat there and laughed?

Now she just had to wait until Marcus was pulled away from her, only to be left with a knife twisting in her heart.

"Hey," Marcus nudged her, "No falling asleep."

"Sorry, being kidnapped can take a toll on a girl."

"Are you gonna wear my jersey at the games?"

"Probably."

"I think you should always wear it." Lily smiled, "I have a question."

"I might have an answer."

"Would you ever compete again?" Lily looked at Marcus, eyebrow raised.

"I don't know. I'm getting old and I'm busy with school and work..."

"But if there was a way you could compete again, would you?"

"...maybe. I haven't competed in years."

"I think you'd be awesome. I'd defiantly would go see you."

"You wouldn't know what's going on." Lily teased, even if it was true.

"So? I would still cheer like a maniac. I'll get to be the fan for once."

"I can see you making a sign and being the loudest person there."

"Because I will! I'd make a big ass sign and tee shirts with your face on it! I'll even paint my face. I'll be the hockey fan of gymnastics."

"Oh my god, you are so not going to any competition, if there are any."

"You'd want me there. I'm going to be your biggest fan. Marcus Foligno, President of your fan club." Lily laughed, the image Marcus described as clear in her mind as it was in his.

Lily never had "fans" when she competed. Her team was her biggest support group since her mother was her toughest judge. Her friends at school, the few she had, knew she was a gymnast but took no interest otherwise. If competing was how she could get Marcus in the stands and to stick around for just a little while longer, she'd do it.

"I think you should compete again. It would be awesome to at least do it for one last hooray, you know? I mean you could actually get on a team, maybe go to the Olympics one day. And then I could come and see you and then when the winter Olympics start, you can come see me." Lily loved to hear Marcus plan their future, acting like they'd always be friends. That they'd stay in contact while he was off playing in the NHL and she was God knows where working long hours, probably with a paycheck that just keeps a roof over her head and romin noodles in her cupboard. And the chances of her being good enough to make the Olympic team...Lily didn't mind that Marcus was dreaming for two but none of that was going to happen.

"That's a really big dream."

"Dream big or go home." Lily sighed, If it were that easy., "At least think about it. I think it'll be cool."

Until both couldn't keep their eyes open, Lily and Marcus talked about whatever. Nothing important yet both listened to the other intently. Just like old times. But it didn't last long, so both crawled under the covers, the warmth of the bed and the steady beat of their hearts lulling them to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so so so so so so so so sorry this is late!! I've been busy with trips and homework and mibba crashing and deleting everything and the Sabres not making playoffs and exams just started...I've had no energy to write this chapter(after it was deleted).

I hope it was worth it though. With school ending next week I should get back on track. If you also read "My Own Glory" a chapter was deleted from there so I'll get that back up and hopefully get the third chapter up as well. Please bear with me.

Thank you for you patience and good luck to all your teams in Playoffs! It's anyone's game!

With love, <3