Status: Completed!

Tomorrow's a New Day

Not Like That

Marcus and Lily made it to the airport on time but were the last two to arrive, "Look who finally decided to join us." Corey commented, the entire team turning to see Lily and Marcus walking towards them. The looks on the players faces made Lily blush.

"We were making a bet you wouldn't show." Cody said.

"We got breakfast." The guys didn't accept the answer, but didn't push it either.

"Lily!" Ally called, waving and smiling at the nervous woman, "Are you excited?"

"Of course."

"Me too! Our plane leaved before them so we'll just meet them at the hotel."

"You should probably get going." Nathan said, looking at the time on his phone, "You'll be boarding in fifteen minutes."

"Alright. We'll see you boys later." Ally pecked Nathan's lips, while Lily just waved at the boys and followed the chatter box to their gate.

Out of earshot, Nathan, Tyler E. Corey, and Cody looked at Marcus with disbelief on their faces, "Dude, you didn't say goodbye."

'I'll see her in a couple hours."

"And Gerbs will see Ally in a couple hours yet he said a proper goodbye." Corey told him.

"For a guy that just spent the night with her, you're an idiot." Tyler E. said.

"Don't you have any respect for your woman?" Cody questioned.

"What are you guys talking about?" Marcus was lost, the guys rambling about Lily and staying the night with her.

"Dude, you sleep with Lily just to treat her like--" Corey started.

"Woah, woah woah...sleep with Lily? I didn't sleep with Lily."

"...But you didn't come back last night." Tyler said.

"Yeah because I stayed with Lily. I would of needed to bring her to the airport anyways."

"So you were in a hotel room...with her...alone...and didn't sleep with her?"

"Why would I sleep with her?" The guys in the group groaned. Marcus was becoming a sad excuse of a man.

"You were alone with a pretty girl and did nothing? Oh Marcus...what's wrong with you?"

Marcus couldn't understand why he was expected to sleep with Lily. She was just a friend. he didn't see her that way and believed the feelings were mutual. But now that it was brought up...

"You've been hit one to many times, Foligno." Cody said.

"Why would I sleep with Lily? She's just a friend. She doesn't even like me like that." At this point, more guys joined the group discussion, over hearing the conversation with astonishment. How could he not see what the world could? The team met her for a day and they knew Lily liked him. They were convinced Marcus liked her too with the way he talked about her all the time.

"Wait, you don't like Lily?" Patrick asked.

"Not like that. We're just friends. She understands me, I can count on her just to be there." The team all had knowing looks, thinking the same thing, Marcus is an idiot. "But...I don't see her like that. Like a girl I'd sleep with. She's not my type."

"You're too young to have a type." Jason pointed out.

"I just don't see myself with her."

"You spend all your time talking to her."

"Not in a relationship sense. Lily and I are just friends. That's it." Marcus ended the argument, brushing past the guys to get on the plane.

Why were they pushing this so much? It just wouldn't work out. He liked what he and Lily were right now and to have it change would just be stressful. Marcus has so much on his plate right now with both the Sabres and the Amerks teetering for a playoff spot. If the Sabres made it, he'd be in Buffalo, Lily would be in Rochester. If the Amerks make playoffs, he'll be busy with that, Lily will be busy with her other jobs. She might even leave Rochester once school was over, he didn't know. There was so much that could happen.

Why add to it?

---

The entire plane ride, Ally talked nonstop trying to get to know Lily more. Wives and girlfriends had the tendency to interrogate new females that were "friends" with the boys. And though Lily knew Marcus a little longer than Ally, she still played mother hen.

Ally asked a series of questions just about Lily, prying for information on anything that might be a red flag. Lily passed that test.

Then she began to ask about her friendship with Marcus, "How'd you meet?" "Do you hang out often?" "Are you close with the other guys too?" Normal things perhaps a mother would ask. It wasn't hard to catch onto Ally's motherly habit. She had all but asked that one question, "Are you two together?"

"Um, no. Marcus and I are just friends." Lily answered.

"I'm sorry, you guys just seem like you're dating." Lily gave her a small smile and directed the conversation away from her non-existent relationship with the Sabres rookie.

Once in Philadelphia, Lily and Ally waited for the boys to arrive. Lily expected Marcus to be the one to come get her, but her eyebrows furrowed when she saw Brayden, "He had to meet with coach." He told her as if reading her mind.

Ally kept talking, retelling her boyfriend what she learned from Lily. When Lily was brought up to her hotel room, she let out a relaxed groan, "How was the plane ride?" Brayden asked with a chuckle.

"I thought my ear was going to fall off." Lily joked.

"Well Gerbs will keep her busy. Do you maybe want to see some sights?"

"Sure, as long as you talk slow and not often." Brayden smiled and both of them headed to the lobby and out the door.

---

"Oh my god I forgot Lily!" Marcus said walking out of the coach's room and seeing Ally and Nathan walking down the hallway. He was suppose to pick Lily up with Gerbs at the airport but coach had pulled him away with no chance of warning Lily.

"Brayden got her." Nathan told him.

"Good. Is she up in her room? I should prob--"

"They left."

"Left? Left where?" Nathan shrugged.

"They left , like, ten minutes ago."

"Oh...okay then, thanks." Marcus let Nathan and Ally by him as he just stood in the middle of the hallway.

Where were they going? What were they doing? Why didn't they invite him? He wanted to spend some time with Lily while he could but she was off with Brayden. Why would Lily hang with Brayden and not him? He and Lily were closer than she was with Brayden...but he had been gone a while. Maybe Lily was spending more time with Brayden than he thought.

Does Lily like Nabbers?

That could be a possibility. Maybe while he was away, Nabbers was there to make a move. Marcus could recall a couple times Brayden and Lily looked close as if there were more going on than you'd think. But does Lily really like Brayden like that? Marcus couldn't see it but if they liked each other than why get in the way?

I wonder how long they've like each other?

Now that he saw it, Marcus felt bad for being in the way. If Nabbers had told him that he liked Lily, Marcus would of backed off. He wouldn't get in the way of his friend, especially if he liked a girl. Brayden deserved a nice girl and that's what Lily was.

So Marcus returned to his room where a bunch of the other members of the team were hanging and chatting. The whole while, Marcus would glance at his phone as if it would go off any moment. Yet when he clicked the button nothing was there.

"Expecting a phone call?" Corey asked. He wasn't the only player that noticed Marcus fidgeting.

"We should walk around, get out for a while." Tyler E. suggested. The guys agreed and got up to go.

"Foligno, you coming?" Marcus looked between his phone and his friends.

"Sure." Maybe we'll find Lily and Nabbers.

---

Lily and Brayden didn't get back to the hotel until close to 9:00pm. They had spent the entire day touring Philadelphia, seeing sights and making memories. Smiles never left their faces as they stood in line for the Liberty Bell or played the Rocky theme song up those famous steps. They had a great time but the night was closing in and both were tired, "I had a great time." Brayden said on the elevator ride up to the fifteenth floor of their hotel. He leaned against the back wall, Lily beside him with her eyes closed. He couldn't help but take in her short, slim figure. She looked so normal, so plain but she wasn't. She was on a totally different scale. And to think I hadn't known her for half a season.

"Me too. This was defiantly fun."

"Glad we kidnapped you?" He asked, nudging her side. Her smile grew at that silly plan.

"Absolutely."

"What would you be doing right now if you were in Rochester?"

"I'd be curled up in your bed sleeping." Brayden had to hold back a low growl.

It wasn't fair that Marcus was able to spend the night with her. Technically he did a week ago but if given the chance, he'd capitalize. He would make sure that Lily would know how he felt towards her.

He did have all day to tell her but to turn such a nice day into an awkward one didn't seem worth it. He did try to be close to her the whole time; wrapping his arms around her when they took pictures or finding a way to make her blush. But was that enough to hint his feelings to her? Did she know? Did he need to spell it out for her? Or...

Or did she not like him?

The elevator dinged and opened up to the fifteenth floor. The hall was empty as Brayden and Lily walked in silence to her room.

"Thank you...for everything." Lily said when they got to her door.

"Anything for you Lily."

Now's your chance. Go for it! Brayden slowly leaned down.

"You're back." A voice said, halting any further movement.

"I haven't seen you all day!" Lily said as Marcus walked up to the couple, a bucket of ice in his hands.

"Yeah, sorry about that. Coach pulled me aside and I couldn't get away."

"It's alright. Brayden came and got me."

"So what did you guys do?" Marcus barely noticed Brayden's presence, standing close enough to Lily to practically close out Brayden from the discussion, What's his problem?

"We just toured the city, saw some awesome sights, took great pictures." Lily answered, looking up at Brayden with a smile.

"That's...cool. Maybe tomorrow we can check out some places, get a famous Philly cheesesteak." Marcus suggested.

"Of course. I'd love too."

"Cool. Well I'm gonna get going. CoHo gets grumpy without his iced water." Marcus joked, leaving the couple alone once again.

"I'll see you in the morning then?"

"Um, yeah. We have morning skate then probably brunch. You don't have to go to practice. And I can just come back and get you." Lily smiled.

"That means I can sleep in."

"I'm already jealous."

"Okay, then I'll see you for brunch. Just come pounding on the door if I'm not up." She told him. Lily slid her card into the lock and opened the door.

"Wait," She turned when Brayden grabbed her wrist, "Um...good night Lily." He released his grip and watched as she walked into her room and shut the door.

Brayden dropped his head, Damn it!

---

Of the 19,873 people present in the Wells Fargo Arena, Lily felt like she was the only one representing the blue and gold. Her lone voice seemed like the only thing heard over the 'boos' of the Flyers crowd when Leino scored the first goal. And she was the only one sitting when the Flyers tied it up.

She watched as the boys fought hard in all three periods. She watched as sweat dripped from their faces, blood seeped through their skin, and their shoulders slump when sixty minutes was up.

The Sabres lost 1-2. The season was over. The playoffs was a dream bubble popped for twenty-six guys that struggled all season to prove everyone wrong. They had a come back from last place to make a shot at an extended season.

But it was all over. The team was heading to Boston with their heads hung low. They didn't want to show their weakness but when dreams are taken from right under you, you can't help but let your weakness show.

Lily stood in the visiting teams lounge with the other family and friends that made the trip. For the first time since the final buzzer rang, Ally was quiet. Everyone was quiet. What could be said?

Slowly the boys started to come out of the locker room. Their suits hanging off their tired bodies as if they were two sizes too big. Wives hugged their husbands, children were clinging to their father's necks, girlfriends rubbed the backs of their boyfriends. When Nathan came over to Ally, Lily could hear her mumbling comforting words to him, his grip on her tightening.

Corey and T.J were the first out of the Amerks. Neither one had an significant other there for them but every female patted their shoulders or squeezed an arm to silently tell them "It's going to be okay."

Making it to Lily, she opened her arms for each one of them, standing on her toes to wrap her arms around their necks, "You guys did great." She mumbled.

Brayden appeared as she let go of T.J, standing in line for comfort from his friend. Because of his much taller stature, Lily held onto Brayden around the waist. He held her tightly, not wanting to let go. But when Marcus cleared his throat, Brayden had to untangle his arms from the small woman and allow his teammate to engulf her in an embrace.

"You look good in my jersey." Marcus tried to joke.

"Looks like I'm not as lucky as they thought." Lily said.

"Then I don't want it back."

"Foligno, Tropp, you're heading to Hamilton in the morning." One of the Sabres guys in a suit said. The little group of Amerks stood there, tense. Both forwards nodded then looked to their friends.

"Let's get going." Lily said. Marcus let go of Lily, following her and the others to the bus, "I'll see you guys back at the hotel." The waved goodbye as Ally and Lily headed for a different exit to hail a cab.

The boys beat the girls back to the hotel, giving them a chance to change and wait for her at her room. Lily wasn't expecting the four of them waiting outside her door but graciously let them in.

Brayden had taken the spot on Lily's bed where she sleeps, so when she finished changing, she pushed him over to be in her spot, but leaned against Brayden. The friendly action didn't go unnoticed by Marcus as he watched the two get cozy.

"We still got the Amerks." Corey started. "It's at least something."

"Just gotta win all the games and beast in playoffs." Lily said.

"Are you going back to Rochester tomorrow?" Corey asked. Everyone looked at someone waiting for Lily to reply. She hadn't thought about that. Marcus was heading back to Rochester but Brayden was staying with the Sabres. She had to choose?

"No, she'll go to Boston. The tickets are already paid for." Marcus said.

But would the trip be worth it without Marcus? She didn't get to spend much time with him while they were on the road. Besides brunch that morning and maybe for a few minutes before their naps, she hadn't spent one on one time with him since Buffalo. Lily was starting to feel like he was avoiding her. Every time it was going to be just the two of them, he pulled Tyler or Corey over.

"I guess I should start packing then." Corey and T.J got up, both leaving the room. Marcus wasn't far behind them.

"Marcus, wait up." Lily jumped off the bed and stopped Marcus at the door, "Hey, is...is everything okay?" She whispered looking up into his blue eyes.

"Yeah, I'm good."

"Oh...okay. I, uh, just making sure."

"I'll see you in the morning, Lily." She watched him walk away without a second glance back.

---

Morning came around and the team was packed and waiting at the airport. A few of the guys waited with Marcus and Corey before they had to leave for their flight. When the overhead speaker announced they were boarding, the boys exchanged goodbyes and good lucks with their departing teammates.

Once Marcus got to Lily, he just smiled and said, "See you later" and left. Lily stood dumbfounded, her mouth gaping opening at her lack of goodbye from who she thought was her best friend.

"Let's get you to your gate." Brayden took her backpack and wrapped an arm around her shoulders as he walked her to her gate.

"Did you see her face? What an ass." Tyler E. stated when Lily was gone.

"There's something wrong with that kid." The team agreed with Cody and headed to their own gate.

The already sour mood only got worse as the last game of the season ended in a 3-4 loss against the Bruins. The locker room was silent, the trip to the airport was bad, and the plane ride...it was like someone had died.

"We'll see you boys at clean out." Lindy said just before everyone got off the plane.

Brayden found Lily at the baggage claim only to turn around and board a flight to Adirondack where the Amerks were waiting for another game.

"Marcus and I will have to come up at get our cars sometime." Brayden told Tyler and Cody.

"Bring her with you. She's more fun than you two." Lily smiled at Tyler's teasing.

Lily hugged both boys and exchanged numbers with Cody, seeing as Tyler already had hers, and promised them to stay in touch, "You'll have to come to Rochester some time to see the boys play."

"As long as you're there." Tyler said.

T.J, Lily, and Brayden boarded their plane destined for northern New York. Brayden had a seat next to Lily, T.J's down a couple rows. They road the plane in silence, the only noise was the wind from outside. At one point, the quiet seemed too much, so Lily reached over for Brayden's hand. He never released his grip until they landed.

Thankfully the Amerks went home with a win that night. Lily finally got to sit in the stands as an Amerk fan instead of working. She was able to cheer and yell for her boys during their 4-2 victory.

Lily congratulated all of the boys on the win and joined them on the bus headed for home. She sat with Brayden, Marcus already finding a seat buddy with Phil, and both just slept the rest of the way back, Brayden's thumb rubbing the top of Lily's hand.

Lily rode with Brayden, Marcus, and Luke back to her dorm. They exchanged quick, tired goodbyes, "I'll walk you in." Brayden told her.

Brayden helped bring Lily's bags into her dorm room. Rose hadn't returned yet, the room looking just as it did when she was kidnapped only four days ago, "I still have to vacuum." She commented, sitting on the side of her bed. Brayden sat next to her, lacing his fingers with hers.

"I'm really glad you came." He mumbled.

Lily looked up at Brayden. Those were the same words Marcus had said. The exact same ones.

"I'm really glad you kidnapped me." Brayden smiled. He put his arm around her, bringing her into his side. She rested her head against shoulder. Lily felt Brayden press his lips to the top of her head.

"I'll text you tomorrow." Lily nodded.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another chapter!

Comments? Questions? Suggestions?