Status: Completed!

Tomorrow's a New Day

You're an Idiot

Since her little vacation, Lily hadn't spoken to Marcus at all. She was hoping at the game Tuesday maybe she could figure out what was going on between them, but the chance never came up.

She was scheduled to work with the equipment staff and they had her running around. Everything seemed to be off about that night and it wasn't reassuring.

Lily did her best to help out the boys with their equipment troubles. She was grateful they were patient with her, everything was just going wrong.

The game wasn't any better as Phil was called for using a broken stick and Doug Janik of Grand Rapids got a penalty shot, scoring the game winner in overtime. Defiantly not a way to end a game.

As Lily was bustling around to clean up the equipment, she could hear the quiet tones of some of the Amerks talking outside the locker room, "Are you serious? He actually said that?" She heard Travis ask.

"He did. I couldn't believe it. I was positive he liked Lily and then he goes and says that? Everyone wanted to hit him." Corey replied.

"Does Lily know?"

"No. What's the point in telling her? She's not his type, remember? He can't see himself dating her."

"He's a good guy but Foligno can be an ass sometimes." Phil commented.

Her stomach tightened as the words replayed in her head. Not his type? Did Marcus really say that? And in front of the team? What team?

"Even Pomi was like 'You're too young to have a type.'" Pomi as in Pominville? Marcus said that she wasn't his type in front of the Sabres?

"I could of sworn that Marcus liked Lily. What an ass."

Lily's eyes stung as she tried to blink back the wasteful tears that threatened to fall. How could he say something like that? It made her feel low, unworthy, like she wasn't good enough for Marcus or anyone. Why would he say that? Weren't they friends?

If she wasn't worth dating, was she worth being friends with? Maybe that's why he hasn't been talking to her. Maybe he decided she wasn't his type of friend. But that doesn't make sense. Was it not just a few days ago he paid for her to be with him on the road with the Sabres? Why would he go through all that only to turn around and say she wasn't his type?

She shook her head of the thoughts and finished her job, leaving early with an excuse of a test she had to study for.

Brayden watched her. He heard his teammates gossiping and he saw that Lily heard too. He watched her storm off without another word. He wanted to do something, but what? Tell her Marcus is an ass and to pick him instead? The best thing he could do for his friend was to let her breathe. Tomorrow he'd talk to her, if she was willing.

"Hey Nabbers, we're going to get something to eat, you coming?" Travis asked, a handful of the other guys with him.

"Yeah sure."

"Hey Marcus, we're getting food. You coming with us?" Corey called out to his teammate who just appeared down the hallway. But he wasn't alone. Instead, a tiny blonde stood at his side.

The blonde couldn't of been taller than 5'3" in her heeled boots. Her jeans were like a second skin and shaped her stick legs. The expensive bag hanging off her sweater covered shoulder showed she wasn't a Target kind of girl. Her bleach blonde hair was highlighted with a darker color, brown maybe. Her eyes were lined with thick black coloring on her "tan" skin.

"Not tonight. See you guys later." Marcus replied, putting a hand on the small of the woman's back and leading her out. The team just stood in watch, mouths gaping open.

"He's a fucking idiot."

---

Lily kept to herself the days to follow the game against Grand Rapids. She got texts from some of the guys seeing if she wanted to hang out on their day off. She ignored them. None of them was the person she really wanted to talk too, but she wasn't good enough for him anymore.

Brayden called her several times. She felt bad not picking up but she just wasn't in the mood. She wasn't in the mood to do anything.

"Okay, you've been angry sighing for the past ten minutes. What's going on?" Rose asked folding her hands over her textbooks.

"Sorry, I'm just not having a good week."

"I know! You've been mopping around since Tuesday. What's going on?" Lily knew she could talk to Rose. Hell, she listened to plenty of Rose's problems.

"There's this guys," Rose dropped all her books on the floor and situated herself to get comfortable, hands folded under her chin.

"Continue."

"There's this guy I like. We've been friends for a while and I started to like him. I thought maybe he liked me too with how he treated me but...I found out I wasn't his type."

Rose gasped, "No!"

"Yup. I'm not his type and he doesn't see himself dating me. It...it made me feel like shit, like if I'm not good enough for him than I'm not good enough for anyone."

"Fuck him! A guy that says 'she's not my type' isn't good enough for anyone! He's not good enough for you, Lily. You deserve someone that thinks he's the luckiest guy just being by your side." Lily gave her roommate a small smile. "Is, is it one of those hockey boys?" Lily nodded, "Which one?"

"Marcus Foligno." The quizzical look on Rose's face was enough for Lily to pull up the Amerks website and show her his picture.

"He looks like a tool." Rose replied.

"He's not. He's sweet and funny and I thought he was normal."

"What about that other guy? The one you stayed with the other night?"

"That's Brayden."

"And what about him? He's cute and must be something if you'll stay the night with him." Rose said, nudging Lily's shoulder.

"Brayden's my friend."

"And you've never thought about him as more?"

"...A couple times but, I liked Marcus so he was usually the one I thought about."

"Maybe you should give Brayden a chance. He seems to like you."

Lily shrugged, "I don't know."

"Just go to the movies with him, go to dinner. It's not like you're marrying the guy, just going on a date." Rose suggested before walking into the bathroom to get ready for bed.

Lily fiddled with her pen as she thought about what Rose said. She was right, why waste time thinking about Marcus when she could be happy with someone else. Lily wasn't completely positive Brayden liked her but that kiss a while back, and him being there when she didn't realize she needed it was some kind of indication that maybe something was there.

It wasn't hard for Lily to feel a pull towards her closet. In there, she hung Marcus' gift to her. She got up and slowly opened up the closet doors. The jersey was kept at the end of the line practically buried by the other clothes that hung next to it. Lily unhooked the hanger and held the jersey in front of her, the Sabres logo stitched proudly to the front of the blue fabric. Then she flipped it over. That familiar name popping in yellow against the dark color.

Written in the number two was the reminder of what she had fallen for,

Lily, you mean so much to me. More than any title or trophy. Thanks for always being there for me. You are my best friend. Never lose touch. Love, Marcus Foligno 82.


---

Lily wouldn't be able to do anything for a while seeing as she had taken the weekend off, opting to go with the Sports Management Club out of town for networking. Her bosses didn't mind, seeing it as a good opportunity and it was only for one game.

She did keep up with the Amerks game while away on Friday. The boys won their fan appreciation night 5-1 against the Crunch. While her friends and some of the other people were out partying, Lily stayed back at the hotel. She had sent Brayden a text message as soon as the game was over and was just waiting for a reply.

"You have no idea how happy I am to hear from you." Brayden said as soon as Lily answered the phone, "I wish you were here right now."

"Sorry, I wish I was there too."

"It was crazy, Lily. The place was packed and rockin'. The only thing it was missing was you."

"Stop making me feel bad!"

"I'm sorry." Lily could tell Brayden was smiling on the other end just by the way he teased her.

"So you guys made it to Lake Erie?" She asked, noticing the time was well past midnight.

"Yeah, I've got to get to bed soon."

"I'm glad you called."

"I'm glad you're talking to me again." Instantly Lily felt bad.

"Brayden..."

"It's alright. We can talk about it when we get back."

"Okay. Well get some sleep and close the season out with a bang."

"I'll score you a goal."

The Amerks did win against Lake Erie but Brayden didn't get a goal, "Is an assist okay?" He asked when he drove over to Lily's dorm bearing pizza. The two talked and watched whatever was on TV that late at night.

Rose got to know Brayden a little bit, making jokes and promising to come to their first playoff game Monday, "I like your friend. If the whole team is like this, bring them around more often."

"They're something. Some more crazy then others."

"But you love us anyways." Brayden teased nudging her.

She did love her boys. Each one of them was different and had some kind of effect on her. The older guys were much more mature and treated her like a little sister. They wanted her to succeed and get far just like any big brother.

Then you had the younger guys, the guys her age or maybe just a year or two older. They were all crazy. Crazy enough that Lily contemplated calling those nice men with the big needles. But she loved them nonetheless. They were all funny, always up for a good laugh. They protected Lily, even when she didn't know it.

Brayden knew that the only one that had lost Lilys "love" was Marcus. He knew they hadn't talked and after seeing the girl with Marcus after the game against Grand Rapids he must be pretty busy. Marcus hadn't introduced that girl to the team so he figured she'd just be a fling but it still confussed him. When Marcus was with Tiffany, he didn't let her get in the way of his friendship with Lily. How was this girl different? What was it about Lily that he couldn't see? Everyone else saw it, saw that Marcus and her were right for each other, even Brayden.

It wasn't easy for Brayden to accept that Marcus and Lily were good together. He wanted to be that guy for Lily. Or maybe he wanted a girl like Lily. But how many of those were out there? He was positive finding someone like Lily would be impossible which was why he didn't want to give up on he and Lily. What if he lost his chance and lost Lily completely? He couldn't imagine it. He didn't want too.

"Well I'm heading to bed. I'm pooped." Rose said getting up to get ready for sleep. Lily got off the floor where the three of them were sitting. She began picking up the garbage, clearing the floor.

"Um, Lily, do you, uh, mind if I...stay?" Brayden asked shyly rubbing the back of his neck. Lily looked at his shyness, thinking it cute that he'd ask to stay seeing that it was well into the morning.

"Of course." Brayden smiled taking the pizza box to the trash can in the hallway. By the time he returned Rose was getting comfy in bed and Lily just walked out of the bathroom. Brayden climbed into Lilys bed taking the spot closest to the wall. He pulled the covers back for Lily after she turned the light off.

Lily laid close to Brayden's side, her head resting against his chest and her legs pressed to his, "Oh my god your feet are cold." Brayden said feeling Lilys ice cold toes brush his calf.

Lily laughed, "Sorry." Lily was going to pull her feet away but Brayden situated his legs to warm up the icicles Lily called her feet.

"Better?"

"Much."

Lilys hand rested against Braydens raising and falling chest, his breathing even and lulling her to sleep. The soft, circular motion Brayden's thumb was making on the little bit of skin that was exposed on Lilys hip was comforting. She liked this feeling, being close to someone. The last time she was...

No, I'm not going to think about it. But she could tell the difference between the two of them. Though nothing wrong with either, there was just something about having...him there that was...exactly what she wanted.

---

There wasn't much work needed when it came to the BCA. Since the boys were off to Toronto first, the Amerk workers didn't have to worry much until Monday, the 16th.

Until he had to leave, Brayden stopped by Lily's dorm everyday. He'd show up in between her classes and sleep while she was in class. She'd treat him to what the school had to offer with food and he'd repay the favor by ordering something for her.

Brayden tried to avoid bringing Lily by the house or any of the guys places. It had gotten to the point where Marcus was bringing his girl around more often and the last thing Brayden wanted to do was make things awkward for everyone.

Lily might have a smile on her face every time he saw her but Brayden had seen her true smile plenty of times before to know...the ones she gave him weren't like the ones she gave Marcus.

"Promise me you'll text." Brayden said the night before he was leaving for Toronto. He was staying with Lily that night, his car already packed with whatever he needed for the road.

"I will. You'll call when you can?"

"Of course." Brayden tightened his grip on her, squeezing the small woman to his chest as they laid in Lily's bed.

"Make sure you tell everyone I said good luck and I'll be watching on TV."

"Okay."

The next morning, both got ready to go their separate ways. Lily walked Brayden to his car before heading off to class. Brayden wrapped her in a hug, wishing he could just bring her with him.

"You guys will do great." Lily mumbled into his chest.

"I wish you were coming with us." Brayden said. He thought he was just thinking it but it had slipped out. Lily pulled away a little so she could look up at him.

"You can't kidnap me this time. I actually have classes and work." He smirked.

"A guy could try." Brayden rested his head on top of hers. He placed a gentle kiss on her head. Lily looked back up at him. This was his moment. Do it!

Slowly he leaned down. A gentle kiss. No more, no less. The kiss was what Brayden wanted, what he wanted for a long time now. But as he felt her lips against his, something didn't feel...right.

When he pulled away, Lily's cheeks burned with a blush, one that she'll probably have with her for the whole day.

"Sorry...I just..."

"It's okay." She responded just above a whisper, "You should get going. Don't want you to get in trouble with Coach." Brayden nodded and climbed into his car. With a wave, he was gone.

Lily stood there, a hand over her lips. The same lips that were just kissed by Brayden McNabb, "Oh my god."

---

On the bus, the boys were antsy to get this series started. Everyone was ready to go, to bring victory and glory to the city of Rochester and Buffalo.

Taking a lone seat, Brayden relaxed into his chair, "Hey Nabbers, where were you last night?" Luke asked from the seat in front of him.

"I was with Lily." Those that heard let out suggestive 'oo's, "She says good luck, by the way."

"It's too bad she couldn't come with us." Phil said. The guys agreed and went back to their seats. Just as Brayden was pulling out his phone, Marcus sat beside him.

"Hey man." Brayden nodded, "How, how is Lily? I haven't talked to her in a while."

"She's good. She's almost done with school so she's excited."

"That's good. So, uh, are you two like...together?" Brayden raised an eyebrow at his teammate.

"Um, no. Just friends."

"Oh...okay. Well tell her I said hi if you talk to her." Brayden watched as Marcus went to his own seat, the only thing going through his mind was You're an idiot.
♠ ♠ ♠
Interesting, eh? More to come!