Status: Completed!

Tomorrow's a New Day

Make It Work

Even if the calendar said August, it felt like the time had slowly dragged on for Marcus. He had spent the whole summer relaxing, practicing, spending time with family, and hanging with his friends. He'd gone back and forth between his family's place in Canada and Buffalo, but no matter how busy he kept himself, nothing felt right.

After leaving Rochester, and Lily, the way he did, he felt unsettled. He thought about her everyday. There wasn't a time when he thought of something and he wanted to tell her about it. The only way he knew what she was doing was through her Facebook and Twitter, and even that was rare. She didn't update much.

The idea of calling and talking about what happened between them crossed his mind many times, but there was always something stopping him; practice, plans, lack of courage.

He thought about it as he sat in a nearby coffee place waiting for his number to be called. He fiddled with his phone, Lily's name popping up when he clicked on his contacts. Occasionally he'll pull up the pictures of he and Lily that Ally had taken. It was right there. He had every opportunity to call or text but I'm a chicken.

"Here's your coffee...oh she's pretty." Marcus glanced up from the picture to see a young woman dressed in a blue apron far too big for her. Her plain brown hair pulled back with little flyaways framing her face. And the big brown eyes that screamed familiar. "Is that your girlfriend? She's very pretty. And you look so happy together. Oh my god I'm sorry. I'm totally getting all up in your business." She apologized.

"It's alright. She's...not my girlfriend."

The girl looked back at the picture, "Oh my god," she slapped her forehead, "I feel like such an idiot! I'm sorry! You didn't just break up did you? Then I'd feel terrible!"

Marcus gave the girl a small smile, "We were never together."

"Seriously? You two look like a couple in your picture."

"We were just friends."

"Were? You aren't still?" Marcus wasn't sure about telling this stranger about his mistakes. No matter how much she looked like the last stranger he told his problems too. "It's none of my business. I just brought the coffee. But if you want my advice," She sat in the chair across from Marcus, "You look so happy in the picture compared to right now. I think you should fix whatever it happened between the two of you."

If a stranger could tell him how upsetting and pathetic he looked, maybe he should take her advice. But how would he explain that to Lily, 'Hey Lily, I came back to fix things between us 'cuz some stranger told me I should.'....Yeah that'll work.

"Well I need to get back to work. I hope everything works out." The stranger said, standing up from the table for two and going back behind the counter. Marcus watched her until she was out of sight then turned his attention back to his phone.

She's right. I have to go back.

Grabbing his coffee, he raced out of the cafe and to his car. With a full tank of gas, he sped down the thruway to Rochester. He didn't know where she'd be but he'll search the entire city till he makes things right.

He stopped at the house, perhaps she'd be there. It was in the evening on a Saturday. But from the outside, all the lights were off and her car wasn't in the drive way. Where could she be?

---


"Come on Lily, you need to take a break."

"I've almost gotten it."

Ian shook his head as he watched his student go through her routine for the fifth time that night. She had practiced it perfectly and any judge would give her a perfect score, "You're going to hurt yourself."

"This is my last time. Then I'll do something else."

"You need to go home. You've trained all day. Your body needs rest."

But Lily didn't listen. She had to get it right each time. Any mistake and she'd go back and fix it.

Since deciding to return to the world of gymnastics, she asked Ian to be her coach. He of course agreed instantly. The success she'd bring to his career and the studios was going to be big. And she was one of his closest friends. And as her friend and coach, he was starting to worry about her. Her first competition was in a week. Her first in several years. And he knew what she had to prove to the gymnastics world...and to her mother.

The bell over the front door of the studio rang. Who could be here at this hour, Ian thought walking to the front. At the front desk was a tall blonde man moving his head to see into the office, "Can I help--oh."

Marcus turned in the direction of the voice. He recognized the guy from the training sessions during the season, "Um, is, uh...is Lily here?"

Lily had told Ian the story. He knew how upset she was and didn't want to cause her more pain by letting Marcus back into her life. She had finally gotten over it and focused all her attention of competing.

"Look Marcus--"

"I know I fucked up but I need to talk to her."

Ian gave him a skeptical look, "Five minutes. You might be able to get her to stop." Ian walked pass Marcus and to the offices, allowing Marcus to rush to the main area of the gym.

On the floor mat, he saw a small figure jumping around in gracefully motions. She'd run, jump, and perform a move Marcus couldn't even imagine doing himself. He'd never seen her do anything like this, except that one time long ago. But this was different. She was so focused, so intense. Some say he had a similar look on the ice: determination, concentration, the need to be the best, to be perfect.

Each move went along to the music playing over the loud speakers. It sounds an awful lot like Breaking Benjerman but all instrumental; an odd choice of music for such gracefully movements. He waited until she stopped before clearing his throat.

Lily had had enough of Ian and his constant nagging about taking a break and going easy. After she heard someone clear their throat, thinking it was Ian, she was going to tell him where to go. When she saw Marcus, the last person she thought she'd ever see, something got caught in her throat.

"...Hi." Was all he said before they stood starring at each other. Lily didn't want to talk to him. Marcus didn't know what to say. "Um, how've you been?"

"....I need to train." She replied turning away from Marcus and walking over to the balance beam. Marcus followed her, watching as she rubbed down her hands.

"Can we talk?"

"I've got a competition to train for." Lily jumped onto the beam preparing herself to start her routine but Marcus wasn't about to let her walk away, not like the last time. He got up on the beam, blocking Lily's path of doing anything. She'd have to leap over him to get around, "What the hell are you doing?"

"We need to talk." His tone was commanding. He wasn't going to back down. Lily looked down at him, powered hands on her hips. "Okay...I get it. I'm an idiot. A giant ass idiot. And I know it's taken me a lot of months to realize that but if there was anything I could do to make up for it--"

"Marcus, stop. There's nothing you can do. I understand. Things wouldn't work out between us. We want two different things. And now we're going in two different directions. There's no need to apologize or whatever."

"Lily...will you sit down?" Marcus tugged her hand to get her to sit beside him. She huffed and did so, keeping some distance between them. "I didn't see it. I didn't know. I should of and it took me this long to realize...everything. I should apologize, I need to apologize. You were my friend, a very close friend and I was a jackass for not realizing it sooner. I want to be friends because life without you fucking sucks." Lily kept her eyes on the ground. She'd blink back the tears that threatened to break through. When Marcus lifted her chin to face him, a tear escaped. She could see his eyes following the traitor down her cheek.

"I miss you." She whispered.

"I miss you too. And I hope you can forgive me and we can start over."

Lily shook her head, "It won't be the same. I'm competing again."

"Then I'll go see you."

"They're all over the country. During the season. You'll be playing."

"So...we won't see each other?" Lily shrugged. Marcus scooted closer putting his arm on the other side of Lily, "Defiantly not what I was expecting when I thought this through." Lily smirked, "Well...I'm willing to make this work if you are."

"Make what work?" She asked looking up at him. She didn't realize how close he was until his lips touched hers.

There it was. That spark she had imagined every time she thought about this moment. The same spark that sadly wasn't there when Brayden made the same passionate move on her. Perhaps the reason Brayden's kiss didn't have the same effect because she had imagined what this would feel like. And it was finally happening.

And it felt right.

Marcus pulled back enough to to see Lily's eyes still closed. He cupped her cheek, the tough skin clashing with the softness of her cheek, "I want to make this work, Lily. And if you don't I'd understand."

"Okay." Lily replied.

"Okay?"

"I want to make this work too." Marcus peeked her lips before squeezing her into his side.

This was what she always wanted. Lily would of preferred better timing but beggers can't be choosers. She finally would have Marcus by her side even if they were miles apart.

We'll make it work.
♠ ♠ ♠
I can't apologize enough for not updating. Since the last chapter I had finals, then 2 jobs that last all day. I had zero time to even think about anything. So if you read my other stories as well, I am working on them. I promise.

I'm sad to say the next chapter is the last. And before I think about writing another, I gotta finish off the ones I've started.

Thanks for being patient and commenting. It defiantly motivated me to finish this chapter. I've already got plans for the last one it's just writing it down.

With Love, <3