Status: Completed!

Tomorrow's a New Day

While You're Away

On Sunday Lily had to pack up her bags to go back to college.

On Monday Brayden had to pack up his bags to go to Buffalo.

"You're leaving me too? What is this? They can't take both of you!" Lily said in a text message she sent to Brayden when she heard the news.

Marcus and Brayden had become her closest friends on the team and both of them were in Buffalo. Sure, she was friends with the rest of the team but you always have that friend or two that are closer then the others.

"I'm sure you'll live."

"I'm happy for you but it's the same thing goes for you as it does for Marcus. You're not allowed to come back without five goals."

"Lily...I'm a defender."

"Fine...2 goals and three assists."


So Lily spent her week going to school and teaching at the gym. The only way she talked with her friends in Buffalo was through text and sometimes there would be a phone call. She missed seeing her friends, and on TV didn't count.

She wouldn't see the team until the weekend, joining them on the road trip to Syracuse and Binghamton, "Oo Lily's coming with us!" Travis said when she boarded the coach bus Friday afternoon.

"This should be fun." Phil added, a hint of evil in his voice.

"Yeah, you better sleep with one eye open." Lily warned.

Originally, Lily wasn't going to go on this road trip, having been a last minute decision by the team. She had to cancel her appointments and ask someone to cover her at Target. She also had a lot of homework due the next week and had planned on getting it done, but hockey was just going to make this harder.

Sadly, the game against the Crunch ended in a loss. None of them really in the mood, the bus ride was silent and when everyone was given their room keys at the hotel, they went their separate ways.

Lily tossed her gym bag at the foot of the bed, pulling out her laptop and pajamas. She showered, hoping it would wake her up enough to work on some homework.

Just as she walked out of the bathroom, wrapped in only a towel, her phone went off, "Hello?"

"What are you doing?" Marcus asked on the other side.

"I'm getting dressed." She bluntly said, pulling on a pair of panties.

"You're getting dressed?"

"Yes, I just got out of the shower. Shouldn't you be in bed?"

"I'm a big boy, I can stay up past midnight. Look, get dressed and get on Skype."

"Skype? I can't Skype. I've got homework I need to do."

"Come on Lily. I want to see you." He cooed.

That son of a bitch. Those words made Lily melt. She knew she liked Marcus a little and his choice of words just made it harder to say no.

"Let me finish getting dressed and I'll call you." Marcus agreed and she quickly got changed. She logged onto Skype to find Marcus' contact request. She accepted and called him, looking away from the computer to organize her books.

When Lily looked back at her computer screen, she practically burst out in laughter and embarrassment.

On the other side of this Skype conversation sat Marcus, Brayden, Corey, Tyler Ennis, Tyler Meyers, Nathan Gerbe, Patrick Kaleta, Derek Roy, Cody Hodgson, and Drew Stafford all with giant, goofy smiles on their faces.

"Oh my god you're an ass!" Lily yelled, hoping her face would fade from the bright red before she sat up.

"Guys, that's Lily." Marcus introduced. Lily sat back up, running a hand through her damp hair, "Lily this is--"

"I know who they are." Lily snapped. "Marcus...why are the Buffalo Sabres Skyping me?" She questioned, rubbing her face.

"It's actually a funny story..." Marcus started.

"He won't stop talking about you." Tyler Ennis added.

"Yeah," Patrick continued, "We were convinced you were imaginary so when Nabbers told us that he was going to call you, we decided to Skype."

"That's...fantastic. Don't you all have a game tomorrow?" Lily asked.

"We couldn't sleep until we found out if you were real."

"Brayden and Corey know who I am." Lily pointed out.

"Yeah but...we still wanted to see who this Lily was." Nathan told her.

"So how did the boys do?" Marcus asked changing the subject.

"We lost. Bad calls cost us."

"That's too bad."

"But we got another game tomorrow, er, today. We'll get back on track."

"So Lily...what does your shirt say?" Derek said causing all of the boys to lean into the camera as they tried to read what was printed on her Sabres shirt.

"Um...it says 'Kiss me I'm a fan'." The guys all laughed, some shoving Marcus.

"I have never seen that shirt before!" Tyler E. voiced.

"A friend bought it for me." Lily explained, another blush rising in her cheeks.

"That is the greatest Sabres shirt I've ever seen."

"Is she coming to a game soon?"

"Marcus made a deal with her. Now he has to take her to a game." Brayden told the team. Marcus received a round of pats on the back.

"Well when she comes, she's required to wear that shirt." Drew claimed, the boys agreeing.

"No, no no. This shirt is too big. That's why I wear it to bed."

"Too bad! It's a requirement!" Lily sighed a defeated sigh, just picturing showing up to a game without that shirt on...and then with it on...

"Can we not talk about my clothes anymore?"

"Alright, alright. So what are you up too?" Marcus asked.

"Just making a study guide." Lily answered.

"Studying what?" Tyler M. questioned.

"Marketing."

"That sounds like a lot of fun." Pat teased.

"Super fun." She replied sarcastically, "Are you boys ready for the game?" A chorus of 'hell yeahs!' was her answer, then they continued to boast how they were going to kick Panther ass, "Don't get too far ahead of yourselves. Florida's hot. You need to take out Versteeg now that he's back, and probably Samualsson too, he's pretty good. And I know like...two of you are friends with Campbell but let's face it...he's now the enemy. Depending on which goalie they pick, it's going to be a tough fight. You gotta play hard, but smart. You've got good lines, you compliment each other. Use each other and you'll do well."

Through Lily's speech she had been looking at her books, she thought she was just rambling to them but when she looked at the computer screen she saw the guys looking back with astonished reactions, "What?"

"You know hockey." Cody blunted stated. Lily laughed.

"Well yeah. If I want to work in the business I need to know a thing or two about the game."

"You didn't tell us she was more than a pretty face. The girl knows hockey!" Lily blushed for the third time. Did Nathan Gerbe just call my face pretty?

"I told you she worked with the Amerks. Wouldn't you just assume she knows hockey?"

"You need to come to Buffalo. We want to meet you." Nathan told Lily, who smiled.

"I'll do my best but I'm busy with work and school." She tried to explain. Lily wanted nothing more than to go to Buffalo for a game. Now that she has a few friends on the team and she wanted to support them, but tickets are expensive and getting there would depend on if it's a late game. Would she drive home right after? Stay at a hotel? Plus food and all that jazz.

"You tell us when you can come and we'll get you a ticket." Drew promised.

"Okay, I'll try. Well boys it's been fun but I need to finish and go to bed. It was nice meeting all of you, but you can't come home without a win...or a tan.'

"Looks like Meyers is gonna be left behind." Tyler E. joked.

"Have a good one guys, and good luck." All of the guys said goodbye and left.

Marcus remained on Skype, wanted the chance to talk to her alone, "Why are you looking at me like that?" He asked, taking in the glare Lily was shooting at him.

"Seriously Marcus? I'm in my pajamas! I don't even look human and you want to have the entire team Skype me! You're an idiot!" He laughed.

"It wasn't that bad. Plus they like you which means they've accepted your nonhuman look. Besides, you look fine. Even Gerbs said you were pretty."

"...still. A warning would of been nice."

Marcus watched as Lily rubbed her tired eyes, a sigh passing her lips. He couldn't understand why she would rather do homework than sleep. But when would she have time with a game tomorrow and all the other stuff she has to do?

Marcus knew Lily needed a day off from life, and if he was in Rochester, he would make sure to do that.

"That's a thinking face. Whatcha thinking about?" Lily broke the silence between them.

"I was thinking about you." Lily didn't look at Marcus, knowing her face was about to explode from blushing too much.

"What about me?"

"You need a day off." She stifled a laugh.

"Got that right! But I can't afford it."

"One day couldn't hurt."

"It might and I'm not willing to find out."

"You need to live a little. Ask the guys to do something. Go to a movie, anything!"

"It's not that Marcus. I've got tests to study for and jobs to do."

"I know but promise me one day you'll have a fun day."

"I promise."

Lily and Marcus spent only a few more minutes talking before they called it a night. Lily had no energy to continue studying for her test so she packed it away and turned off the lights.

Lying in bed, she kept thinking about Marcus. She missed him...a lot. But he was off fulfilling a dream, his dream and she was happy for him. She just wishes she could be a part of that dream as more than just the girl that worked with the Amerks. 'Like that would ever happen' she reminded herself. She was way out of Marcus' league with no chance of ever getting to try out. Marcus is into pretty , good looking women that stood out because of their beauty. Lily was far from that.

The only thing she had a chance of being was just a friend to Marcus. But once he stays with the team in Buffalo, she'll be long forgotten. Just another face in the crowd. Marcus and her weren't meant to be together. That wasn't what fate had planned for them. They're from two different worlds.

---

The Amerks had won their second game and was home after midnight. Lily was more than happy to sleep in her own bed again.

Rose was out, as usual, and had left a note saying she wasn't coming back till Sunday night.

On the ride home, Lily texted Marcus her apologies for their loss against the Panthers and that they still have Tampa, "Or you're not allowed to come back!"

Marcus smiled at his phone. The loss was hard, the team needing those two points in the push for the playoffs, and he could count on Lily making him at least crack a grin.

"Now there's a look. Whatcha doing Marcus? Talking to Lily?" Tyler Ennis said, leaning over Marcus' seat trying to grab the young players phone.

"Yes I'm talking to Lily. She wished us luck with Tampa."

"You gonna score a goal for her?" Tyler M. asked.

"Dude are you two like, dating?" Marcus shook his head, locking his phone and putting it in his pocket. "Why not? She's seems pretty cool?"

"That's what I told him! The boy doesn't listen!" Corey proclaimed a few seats down the row.

"You mean she's single?"

"You interested?" Marcus joked.

"Yeah, I am." He wasn't expecting either Tyler to answer his like that. "Can I have her number?"

"Keep dreaming Enzo." Marcus told him.

"Not like you're going to do anything." The forward mumbled, sitting back in his seat.

'These guys are idiots. Lily's just a friend.'

---

With an amazing game against Tampa, and a lot of compromising, Lily allowed the boys to return, even if Marcus only had two goals and one assist combined.

Brayden returned to Rochester the day after the Tampa trip in time for the game against the Crunch the following Wednesday. The game resulted in a loss and caused a sour atmosphere among the locker room.

"Hey guys, I'm headed to Dan's if you want to eat your sorrows in food." Lily suggested. A handful of guys and Lily made their way to the diner where they put a couple tables together to seat everyone. Brinner was ordered all around and the game was forgotten.

"Well boys, it's been real but I need to head out. Some of us have school." The boys let out mocking laughs, "But you have practice so let's go, or I'll tell coach." Brinner was paid for and goodbyes were exchanged, the only two left were Brayden and Lily.

"You're pretty good with cheering the guys up." He complimented.

"Food's the answer for all problems.Plus, I hadn't eaten so I was coming here anywho." Brayden smiled.

"See you at the BCA Friday?"

"Where else would I be?"

Lily stood stunned when she felt the defenseman's lips peck against her cheek. The place where his lips had just been burned in the cool night, "See ya Lily." Brayden said and headed for his car.

He couldn't of driven out of that parking lot any faster without hitting anything. He didn't know what pursed him to do that but he can't take it back now. Not that he would.

Since first meeting Lily, she had won over his heart and friendship just like the guys. She was funny and smart and didn't put up with the boys crap. She treated the team with respect, and they repaid the favor. Brayden could describe her as the babysitter of the Amerks, that'll look good on a resume.

But no matter what job she had working at the BCA, whenever Brayden saw her, he got nervous. Why? Brayden didn't know. Lily was a good friend, he shouldn't be nervous but he couldn't stop his palms from sweating or the flutter in his stomach. Yet all of theses feelings he had seemed wrong. Was it the possibility that feelings weren't mutual? Was it the possibility that he wasn't the one for her? Was it the possibility that there was someone else?

Lily's crush on Marcus didn't go unnoticed to the guys. They could see it, no matter how hard Lily tried to hide it from them and herself. The only thing that had caused the guys to stop and scratch their heads was whether or not Marcus had the same feelings. Lily and Marcus texted and called routinely. Brayden had told the guys of the Skype times the two have had, and the surprise Marcus had for Lily if, and when, he returned to Rochester. But what the guys didn't get was why Marcus hasn't made a move. Was it because he was in Buffalo with no determined end to his timeline? The team was betting on that one, some even thought this "surprise" was him asking her out by making a big show about it. Go big or go home, right?

Marcus was Brayden's roommate, teammate, and closest friend. If Marcus likes Lily just as she likes him, Brayden should stay out of it. He would never want to come between his friends, even if that meant he'd be alone. But as far as he knew there was nothing going on.

A man could try, right?

---

Friday started out a pretty normal day for Lily. Classes were classes and teaching was teaching. It felt like the day had gone by in a slow blur, but maybe that was because of the sleepless nights she's had since Wednesday.

Every time she thinks about simple kiss on the cheek, it starts to burn...that or she's blushing, remembering what it felt like have Brayden's soft lips pressed against her face. Or the thought that she wanted him to do it again.

It was weird thinking of Brayden like that, as more than a friend. She had finally come to terms with the fact that she had a thing for Marcus but Brayden...this just screamed trouble with a capital T.

Would there be anything wrong with liking Brayden? Just 'cuz she likes Marcus doesn't mean she can't like someone else...even if that person is his friend.

Lily was working the office this game and her heels were already killing her. It didn't help that she stubbed her toe at the gym either.

She was coming from the offices, passing by the visiting team. Or course her presence didn't go unnoticed. As complimenting as the cat calls and whistling might of seemed, she was in no mood to deal with hormonal men. But apparently they had all the time in the world, "Where you going in such a rush? Don't you have time to talk?" One said while his buddies just chuckled. Lily rolled her eyes and kept moving as fast as her heels and stubbed toe would allow. With the black curtain within reach, a body stepping in front of her, "Hi there."

"Can you please move? I need to do my job."

"I've got a job or two you could do for me." Lily took a step back, arms crossed over her chest.

"Move. Now."

"Is that anyway to talk to the visiting team? You should be nicer."

"And you should get out of the way."

"But I'm not." He said with a smirk.

"Then I won't be nice."

"That's alright. I like to play dirty anyways." He replied stepping towards her. His eyes traveled up and down her body like she was on display just for him.

"You need to get out of my way or--"

"Or what? What are you gonna do?" He questioned, leaning closer to her, daring her to make a move.

"Or I'm gonna kick your ass." A deep voice answered from behind the guy. Lily stepped away from the guy to see Brayden behind him, a glare on his face. Lily never really noticed just how tall and intimidating Brayden McNabb could be.

"This your girl Nabbers? She's a fine piece of ass." The guy said with a shit eating grin.

"Lily." Lily went to make her way to Brayden's side when a hand grabbed her.

"How 'bout a kiss goodbye?" Lily tried to yank her hand from his grasp but he tightened it.

Brayden practically ripped the guys arm off to free Lily from him. Both men took a step closer, threatening the other to throw the first punch, "No Brayden, he's not worth it. Save it for the ice." Lily told him as she put a hand on his tightened bicep. He relaxed into her touch and took her hand, turning to exit the area.

"Are you okay? He didn't do anything, did he?" Brayden asked once they were far away from the visiting team.

"No, I'm fine...thanks, by the way."

"You don't have to go to the office anymore, do you?" Lily smiled.

"No, I'm good. You go worry about the game. I'll see you after." Brayden gave her a quick hug before heading for the Amerks locker room.

Lily stayed back for a little while, taking a deep breath as she tried to shake away the Binghamton player from her mind. The nerve of that fucking--

"Lily, come on. We need you." Someone called out. She sighed and headed up to the press box where she watched the Amerks fall 4-3 in overtime.

As much as she didn't want to, Lily had to walk by the visiting locker room again after the game. She was hoping that the team would already be dressed and out the door before she got there but sadly, they were all dressed in their suits just chilling in the hallway.

"You know I scored that goal for you." The guy from before said, a shit-eating grin on his face for the second time.

"You can have it back." Lily said, trying to walk around him, but he followed.

"I can score you another goal."

"You don't play us again." She informed him.

"Then maybe I can do something else for you." The guys arm blocked Lily's path as he leaned against the wall.

"Don't you have a bus to catch?" Lily sneered, dipping under his arm to make a quick getaway for the office but this guy wasn't letting her go. She was whirled around and smashed into his chest, both his arms holding her tightly to him.

"I promise," He started, his hands making their way to the top of her backside, "It won't take long."

"Hoff! We gotta go!" A teammate called out, stopping 'Hoff' from leaning any closer to Lily's face.

"Maybe another time." He mumbled then let go and walked off.

Lily was on the verge of punching the nearest wall but she tried to stay collected. She was at work after all. So she dropped her work off in the office, grabbed her bag, and stormed for the exit.

"Lily!" She stopped, her grip tightening on the strap of her bag. "Lily, are you okay? You look like you're going to murder someone." Brayden asked catching up to her and practically seeing the smoke coming from her ears.

"I just need to get to school."

"Are you going to Syracuse tomorrow?"

"Um...yeah, why?"

"I, uh, I was just wondering if you wanted to come over and hang out. And since you're going to Syracuse, we can carpool. Save gas and what not." The look on Brayden's face was begging her to say yes, even though her body and emotions wanted to scream NO!

"Sure. I need to stop by the dorm for my stuff." Brayden's face lit up.

"I'll follow you."

Back at school, Lily led Brayden to her dorm where loud music was blasting. Rose and their suitmates were getting ready for a night on the town when they walked in, "Lily! You're just in time to come out with us!" Rose yelled from the bathroom, over the music.

"Can't," Lily answered, turning the music down, "I've got to be in Syracuse in the morning so I'm staying with a friend."

"What friend?" Rose walked into the room as she was putting an earring in when she stopped at the sight of Brayden in the doorway, "Oh Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. Who are you?"

"Brayden. Lily's friend." He shyly introduced.

"Do you work with that hockey team? Or are you a gymnast?" She asked, looking him up and down and in all different kinds of positions.

"Um, hockey team."

"Damn...I'm thinking I picked the wrong major."

Lily chuckled a little. She could always get a good laugh from Rose. In her gym bag, Lily tossed a pair of khakis and her Amerks polo and jacket, a pair of pajamas, underwear, a hair brush and a tooth brush.

"Okay Rose, I'll be back tomorrow night." She told her roommate.

"Is he coming with you?"

"Um, probably not."

"Darn, oh well. Have fun you crazy kids and use protection!" Lily rolled her eyes as her roommate turned the music back up and went to finish her make-up.

"She seems nice." Brayden said once they were out of the room.

"She is."

When the couple reached Brayden's place, Lily instantly changed out her work clothes and into her pajamas that she never wanted to get out of.

Brayden was already in the living room flipping through the stations for something to watch when Lily joined him on the couch. He suppressed a groan when he saw the length of her shorts and the toned legs that were on display.

"Do you have anything where people get injured and/or killed?" Lily asked as she wrapped her arms around her knees that were pulled up to her chest. Brayden turned to her with a raised eyebrow.

"In a violent mood?" She nodded. "I've got some recorded Dexter episodes I need to watch."

"That's fine." Brayden found the list of recorded episodes and hit play. The two started out quiet and sitting on opposite sides of the couch until Lily began asking question after question about the show, "I've never seen this before! I don't know what's going on!"

"Lily, this is the sixth season! No wonder you're confused." Brayden laughed with a shake of his head.

"Then can we start from the beginning then?" Brayden paused the show and turned to look at her like she had two heads.

"You want to watch Dexter from the beginning? Do you know how long that'll take us?"

"What? Don't think you can handle me for six seasons?" Lily challenged.

Brayden huffed but pushed himself off the couch to put in disc one of season one of Dexter. He turned the lights off for added effect and sat back on the couch. Lily slid closer to him, "You know you love me." She said batting her eyelashes. Brayden side glanced her before wrapping his arms around her, pulling her on his chest as he laid back against the arm rest. She tried to fight him off but couldn't stop from laughing.

When Lily finally calmed down, the two situated themselves more comfortably; Brayden laying back with his head resting on the arm rest, while Lily was between him and the couch. Her head rested against his thin shirt and a leg was draped over one of his for more room.

Brayden's leg felt like it was going to light on fire from the heat of Lily's leg against his. Though a simple position, he had to steady his breathing.

"You're really warm." Lily mumbled, her body practically molding into his.

"What? I'm not hot?" She looked up at him, her head tilted to the side.

"You're...pretty."

"Pretty? Did you just call me pretty?"

"Yeah, you're a pretty guy, Nabbers."

"I am not pretty! I'm a good looking, handsome, hot guy!"

"And pretty, don't forget pretty."

To get her back, Brayden reached for her waist, tickling her sides until she started to cry, "No stop! Please stop! I can't breathe!"

"Tell me I'm hot!"

"No! You're pretty!" He tickled her more. "Okay, okay! You're hot!!" He stopped and let her catch her breath. He didn't realize while he was attacking her that she had moved between his legs, laying on her stomach. Her sweatshirt had rode up in the process allowing him to feel a hot, bare stomach beneath her sweatshirt. Deep breath He reminded himself as they watched TV.

In the middle of watching Dexter, Brayden accidently brushed Lily's leg with his, feeling that her body heat had gone down in the hour or so they had been watching TV, "Are you cold?"

"Just a little." She mumbled, getting to that point of unconsciousness.

Brayden reached for the blanket that was folded on the back of the couch and spread it across Lily and himself best her could. He felt Lily get more comfortable now with the added heat, so he did so himself.

He rested one arm underneath his head and the other on Lily's back. An instinct told him that he should rub her back gently, as if to lull her to sleep, while another wanted his hand to travel down her back and grip her backside, pushing her up his chest for a better angle to plant a searing kiss on her soft, pink lips.

This was his chance to do something, say anything. She was practically in his lap and that feeling was there. 'She has to feel it too' he thought. 'Just tell her how you feel!'

But when he finally talked himself into it, it was too late. He looked down at her to see Lily's eyes closed, her breathing even as she slept.

'Damn it!
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been a while! Hope you enjoyed it!

With Love, <3