‹ Prequel: Rule the World

Design Your Universe

Aquaintances

Leaving Kat behind to face Mephisto on her own was a terribly, cowardly thing to do. Even if she was stubborn and brave, I doubted she could handle the North American king for long. The hallways were long, dark, echoing. Absolutely terrifying as I walked briskly down them. My eyes darted to every dark corner and seemed to startle at my own footsteps in the suffocating silence. Just as I realized it wasn't just my own footsteps anymore, a hand latched onto my arm.

A scream tore from my throat and I tried to jerk away, but the grasp was unbreakable. The other hand clamped over my mouth and I came face-to-face with a pair of beautiful liquid, brown eyes.

“Do you want Mephisto to catch you?” the owner of the eyes hissed. I shook my head quickly. The sapce between our faces widened and I was looking upon a handsome face. He seemed to a man usually well-groomed, but he looked haggard and rugged. Exhausted and haunted. “That's what I thought.” He reached into his coat. “My name is Ariel,” he said, “and you are Seraphine of Antarctica. This...” he pulled a small box from the interior of his, long black coat, “is your responsibility.”

I stepped back when he handed it to me. “Excuse me?”

“Take it,” he said, his own eyes darting around.

“What is it?”

“Its what will save the world from Mephisto's weapon,” this Ariel answered, voice dropping even lower. “Its our only hope if he succeeds in unleashing his weapon.”

“Why are you giving it to me?” I asked, staring at the little, black box wearily.

“Please, keep it safe. And be careful. Mephisto is sneaky and conniving. Whatever you do, do not underestimate him! Beware of his... creatures too.” He looked past me, then behind him as if he'd heard the tell tale signs of approach. His eyes came back to me. “I have to go. If he catches me with you, he'll kill me. Don't let him know you have this either, or even that this exists!"

He turned and fled down another hallway. His coat billowed around him as he disappeared into the shadows, leaving me once again alone. I looked around me, lost on what to do. The box's cold, heavy weight reminded me of it. I looked down at it before tucking it into my own jacket and continuing down the hallway. I had no idea where I was going, but I thought it best to be keep moving.

Doors lined the wall and I had the slightest twinge of curiosity to open one. This is not the time for stupid curiosity, I growled at myself. A pair of footsteps sounded behind me and I quickly ducked into the nearest door without looking back, imagines of Mephisto or his cat creatures striking fear into me.

The room was dimly lit with no windows and narrow strips of dull light in the ceiling. I let out a breath as the sounds of approach never came. I looked down at the little rectangle in my hand. It was heavy and cool against the palm of my hand. There was nothing special or revealing about it, only its dull, obsidian exterior.

And who are you?

My head jerked up and I stifled a scream. A very large tiger was sitting in the center of the room. Its snow white pelt seemed to be streaked with the blackest tar. Despite it being a cat of prey, it was a gorgeous creature. Tail flicking back in forth, it regarded me with crystal blue eyes.

I asked you a question. To my astonishment, the voice was inside my head, and, immediately, I understood. This tiger was speaking to me from her mind, just like Ulver. I wasn't nearly as surprised as I probably should have been, but being around Ulver, the talking wolf, desensitized me against bizarre things such as this.

“My name is Seraphine,” I said, keeping my eyes locked on the beast. I guessed it was a female, due to its graceful, feminine voice.

She rose to her feet and continued to eye me. You don't see very surprised of me.

“I've met talking animals before,” I stated simply.

The tiger cocked her head to the side. Your accent is Antarctican...are you speaking of a wolf named Ulver?

Now, I was surprised. “You know Ulver?”

Of course, she purred. He and I were...acquaintances. When you're in a horror such as this one, you learn to clean on to anything that isn't threatening your life. We kept each other alive. Thankfully he at least got to leave. How is he?

“Very good,” I said.

The tiger seemed satisfied with my short answer. My name is Elize. She paused. You're running from Mephisto, aren't you? There was a chill in her words, like she was announcing he was right behind me. I had to check over my shoulder to make sure he wasn't.

“I am,” I answered after making sure the monster was looming behind me.

She nodded and prowled to one side of the room. Come, she said, leaping onto her hind quarters and pressing her paws against a the wall. It gave way and slid back to reveal a dark opening.

“You're helping me?” A red flagged was raised and I felt my guard rising against the vocal cat of prey.

No one deserves to be caught by Mephisto. No matter how much of stranger they are, no one deserves to suffer that much.
♠ ♠ ♠
Its short and probably sucks...I'm sorry to you all. I'm at McDonald's right now working on Math homework because its a rodeo weekend and I have no wifi. :P

Love to reads, subs, and commenters! <3