All In Your Mind

Fawkes

I woke up barely managing to keep back a scream. The only reason I managed to hold it back was there was a hand clamped around my mouth. I managed a muffled yell, and I thrashed desperately, barely registering the voice in my ear for the first few moments.

"Calm down before someone comes in, you idiot!"

I blinked, my eyes adjusting to the darkness and seeing the face looming above me. Wide eyes, red-rimmed and short spiky hair. I stopped thrashing, the hand was removed from around my mouth.

"Look, just be quiet okay," Samantha was speaking in a rushed whisper, her hands now clasped on her lap as she perched on the end of her bed. "It's the middle of the night and I just woke up from some fucked up dream and you were in it but it didn't feel like any other dream I've ever had. It was like it was real, like it was actually happening, we were really there. So if you tell me right now that you have no idea what I'm talking about and you didn't have that dream, then I can sleep happy. Otherwise you really-"

"I did," I interrupted suddenly, my voice too loud and causing her to shush me. "I had that dream. You were there, I was wandering this empty place and I had a candle and I heard screaming. Then you were there, and I could tell it was Sunnyroad. And there was this wind..."

I trailed off, not wanting to continue when I saw Samantha had started to cry. I sat up, wrapping my skinny arms around her. When I remembered how skeletal we'd both been in that dream like trance last night, suddenly my weight didn't seem so bad. and Sam's curves were soft and and felt nice against me.

"It's alright. Maybe it's just some fucked up coincidence," I tried to reassure her, but she cried harder, her tears soaking into my shoulder. I felt so frail next to her, like I was useless at protecting her. "Look, it'll be okay."

"No it won't," she sobbed. "I'm going fucking crazy, aren't I?"

"No," I hissed, suddenly worrying about how loud her crying was. "Please, please you have to be quiet. If you make too much noise they'll come in and we'll both get in trouble and we won't be able to figure this out."

"You're right, I know," she stood up rapidly; stifled her tears and wiped her face with the back of her hand in a very unflattering gesture. "I should go back to my room. We can discuss it tomorrow."

Just before she slipped from my room, I called her back.

"Yeah?"

"Do you think you'll sleep again tonight?" I asked quietly, still sitting up in bed feeling rigid and on edge.

"No," she shook her head, smiling sadly with tears still in her eyes. "I don't think I'll be sleeping again for a while."