All In Your Mind

Adam

I'd had an amazing dream about Natalie.

"Natalie, Natalie, Natalie Lane," I sang to myself as I helped myself to toast in the dining room and munched my way through it, still bouncing around. It had been a good dream, her hands wrapped in my hair and her sweet little voice moaning in my ear. A delicious shiver ran down my spine as I remembered, and I kept humming to myself as I headed back downstairs. "Hey, Sammy! You seen Natty?"

"No," she shook her head without looking at me. She was lying, eagle-spread, in the middle of the carpet. There was about eight other people in the room. Two were playing cards, four were watching the telly, one of the lifers was sitting crying in the corner and the new guy, Fawkes, was sitting next to Samantha.

"Want to come help me find her? We can be the terrible trio again!" I grinned at her, stretching out my hand to help her up. She took it, pulling a face and struggled onto her knees. Her baggy jumper gaped slightly at the front, giving me a glimpse of her bra. I bit back a comment, keeping the image to myself. Sam and I had fooled around once, a week before Natalie had arrived here.

"I said I'd spend the day with Fawkes," she shrugged, indicating the new guy who was sitting nibbling his fingernails. I narrowed my eyes at him, then sighed. "Why doesn't he come with us? The four of us can walk around the gardens together."

"Sure, sounds great," I muttered, then Sam smiled, obviously not picking up on my sarcasm. Fawkes seemed to though, and looked uncomfortable as we trooped out the building and into the so-called 'gardens'.

It was really just a scrubby patch of grass that framed the building with a few glorified flower patches and some scraggly trees. Boring stuff, I had no idea why Natalie liked it so much. But I would put up anything and pretend it was romantic and sweet if she wanted. I had a little vision of the two of us walking hand in hand with the watery sun shining down on us and us pretending we weren't crazy, not even a little, not even at all.

"There she is," Fawkes nodded towards one of the benches along the side of the building, underneath the windows with the metal bars on them. She was curled up, and she looked sound asleep.

I rushed towards her, scooping up her fragile little frame and sitting her on my lap. She murmured in her sleep and rested her face on her shoulder. Her face was scrunched up in a little frown, as if she was having a bad dream. I smiled softly to myself, stroking the hair off her face; wondering what she was dreaming. Fawkes and Samantha slipped back inside, heads close together as they whispered to each other but I didn't care. I'd finally gotten Natalie to myself, and when she woke up we could finally talk.