Status: DONE.

Claimed to Be Broken

He Shouldn't Have Left Her

He Shouldn't Have Left Her.

Sofia hugged her coat firmer to her frame, squeezing her eyes tightly shut as she spoke. Her hands were delicately stroking Lucas' gravestone.

She was forcing a smile on her lips, but all she produced was a stifled cry. She tried to keep it in.

"Hey," she said, lower than a whisper. "It's our third year anniversary today. I hope you don't mind the wilting roses on your... gravestone. I tried visiting your grave everyday... but... I'm going to college now, not the local one around town. That means I'll have to be away from you. I'll come back during the summer."

She sniffled a little, but she tried to bite back the tears. She couldn't stand letting Lucas see her in this state.

Lucas, who was now rotting six feet underfoot and resting in eternal peace (or so Sofia thought).

"I forgot to tell you..." Sofia murmured, laughing in spite of her crying self. "Jerry sold the house you used to live in, and this family moved in. They seem like a nice family. Their daughter reminds me so much of you. Maybe it's because of her hair. I still visit your house everyday, and I will in the summers as well.

You know... Jerry's a changed man now. He'll make you proud, I'm sure. And the man that murdered you... he has a mental illness. I wish he would at least apologize, though. I'm sorry but I had to lash out at him. I can't forgive him yet, not when I'm here pondering over the thought that I can't be in your arms again. Cheesy, I know, right? I got it from you." Sofia grinned bitterly, and she couldn't hold off crying anymore.

Throughout her sob-filled speech, Lucas was there beside her. He was gazing sadly at her, extending a finger to her cheeks and wiping away the tear droplets.

He endured it everyday, seeing Sofia weep. He felt so very empty, and a void in his heart ached as he saw Sofia everyday.

Days passed. Weeks went on. Years continued. The weather shifted on coldly, getting icier and icier, and buildings grew old and tainted.

In each day of the summers, Sofia would first visit Lucas' grave, then she would head to Lucas' former house, trying to get a glimpse of his bedroom window where I sometimes would glance back.

She would, for most of those summer days, stay on Lucas' grave, curled up in a ball and sometimes even staying there for the night.

Sofia didn't dare cry in front of his grave, and she kept it all in until she reached home, where she would wail endlessly. In those nights, Lucas would do his best to embrace her and take away her dejection.

But how could he? She couldn't even see him. He couldn't do anything to comfort her. All his existence in life ever did was shadow Sofia with depression.

Soon Sofia refused to eat. All she ever looked forward to was seeing Lucas' grave. Everyday she would tell a new story. She would say something along the lines of, "Remember when..." and "If you were here right now..."

It was a dull cycle, full of well-hidden emotions.

As Sofia attended college school, Lucas would linger in places like the Music Room of his old school, or his old bedroom, where I unknowingly passed through him as I frolicked on with my daily routine.

He endured all those years. He waited by his lonesome, awaiting for what seemed to be nothing.