Status: On Hold

Patient Zero

Rising

I was staring out the window, my head pounding in time with every beat of my heart. Pain lanced across my vision. I sighed and put my head into my hands.

"Hey man, you sure you’re okay?" Johnny asked.

"Yes," I lied, tugging what was left of my long sleeve shirt further down my arm. They couldn’t know about the bite. I was going to have to where long sleeves for a while now.

"Okay then.." Johnny said, a look of doubt on his face. They would just have to trust me. I sighed once again, looking out the window. In some places, fires burned and raged on. No one was around to stop them. Not anymore. Everywhere you looked there were unused cars. Some were broken, some just abandoned. In many places, blood stained the hoods of cars. Spilling over onto the ground. And then there were the zombies... They were always there.

It hadn’t always been this way. There was a time when things had been fun going and free. That had all changed with my death.

* * *


Death was different. Very hard to describe. All I can remember, is a warm feeling spreading through my limbs, and then nothing. As if God knew that there was more in store for me. As if god knew that I would come back to life.

My body was barely cold. My mom had decided to give my body away, for scientific research. A type of research that would ‘better further human kind’… That’s what she was told. It makes me want to laugh when I think about it. If anything, it had the opposite effect.

What they were trying to do was reanimate a corpse. For their test to succeed, they needed a fresh dead body. That’s where I came into the picture. My body was the prime candidate for the testing. My body was virtually intact, I’d died from a snake bite. To reanimate my dead body, and rejuvenate my cells, they created a new serum. This was the first time they were testing the serum, so hopes were not high.

People scrambled as they prepared my body. Wires were connected. Tubes shoved down my throat. No care was given for the dead, for the recently deceased. All in the name of science, they said. When it came time to inject the needle, tensions were high.

They rolled my corpse over on its side, and slid the syringe into my bodies Brain Stem, just over the Spinal Cord. All eyes were on the heart monitor. Waiting to see if any signs of life were there. Looking for hope. Anticipated seconds turned into minutes. Spirits were high-strung. For them, it was all or nothing. For the world, it was everything, and more.

Several more minutes passed, and still nothing happened. No miracles were preformed. Everyone was doubtful. Yet everyone still watched the heart monitor, in hope for something extra ordinary to happen. And when everything seemed like it was over, a flicker of movement passed across the heart rate line. And then I woke up with a gasp.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone, thanks for reading our story. This is just a single update, and the next update will be coming hopefully next week, so just sit tight ^_^ Umm, a few words to be said about this chapter, we were a bit iffy on what we were gonna say, so it was just a quick chapter. If you have anything to say, then please comment, we'd love to hear back from anyone, especially if it can help us write better. Bye now, thanks <3