‹ Prequel: A New Beginning

Hearts So Pure

Every Road

We drove all day and then checked into a hotel. I think John’s parents were sending him money, I don’t know where he got it all from.

John got the room while we all got our bags down. We took the elevator to our suite.

It was two rooms, with a couch and a little living area. It was cute, and spacious considering the long drive we’d just spent in the van.

We unpacked our bags, and everyone chose a place to sleep. John and Nicole called one of the bedrooms, and Garrett took the liberty of saving the other for us. Kenny, Jared, and Pat slept in the little living area. There was a big couch and one recliner, and they weren’t complaining. I still felt a little bad, though.

We were all sitting around the tv in the living area, just talking. Pat spoke up, “Where are we again?”

Kenny reached for his map, which he carried constantly at this point. Jared said, “Kenny, don’t even.” We all laughed a little and John spoke up. “I asked the receptionist in the lobby,” he said. “Allentown, Pennsylvania.”

We all nodded, thinking about it. Allentown. That was a weird name. Nicole yawned. “I’m getting sleepy,” she said. I watched as John bit his lip, standing up and offering to go to sleep with her. Kenny, Jared, and Pat all agreed they were tired too, and started unpacking some blankets.

I looked at Garrett. “Hey,” he said, smirking. “Are you tired, too? I was thinking we could walk around, maybe. We haven’t really gotten any fresh air.”

I thought about walking around this new city with Garrett in the dark. But he was right, we hadn’t really gotten any fresh air, we had been cramped in the van all day and night. “Yeah, lets go,” I said smiling at him, and we left.

When we walked out of the lobby of the hotel, the streets were dark and quiet. It wasn’t scary, though. It was nice, peaceful.

Garrett grabbed my hand and nodded to the left. “That way,” he said.

We started walking in silence. All I could hear was the noises our shoes made as we walked on the sidewalks. A car passed occasionally. I looked around, and I saw a sign that said, “Veterans Park” with an arrow pointing to the end of the street.

“Hey,” I said to Garrett. “Let’s go to that park?”

He smiled, and we went up the street. We saw this huge expanse of really pretty green grass. There were some purple painted benches scattered around, and plenty of trees. Garrett led me to some benches, and we sat in silence. I waited for him to say something, but before he could we heard giggling in the distance.

We both turned our heads and saw two kids running out from some trees. They didn’t see us, or if they did they didn’t show it. It was a boy and a girl, and they looked about 15. Probably freshman in high school, or something.

We watched them as they ran to about 300 feet in front of us, and the boy caught up to the girl. He picked her up, and spun her around. “James!” she said, laughing. “Put me down!” He did, and she stood still and faced him. They both stopped talking, and I knew what was about to happen.

The girl made one last tiny giggle before the boy leaned his face into hers, and they were locked in a kiss. It was so cute, and I turned to Garrett and said, “Oh my God look how cute they a-” but before I could finish Garrett slid his hand up to my face and cupped my cheek, then he leaned in and kissed me.

It wasn’t cold outside but I felt chills run up my back. I closed my eyes and just focused on his lips on mine. I felt his other hand grip the back of my neck, and then his tongue was touching mine. It slid around in my mouth, and I was sure he could hear how loud my heart was beating.

We heard a laugh in the distance, and I pulled away to look at the boy and the girl. They had separated, and were running away, out of sight.

“I like this town,” I said to Garrett. He squeezed my hand. “Yeah. Maybe a little too quiet for me, though,” he said, and stood up.

We walked back to the hotel, and when we got to our room everyone was asleep. The TV droned on, and there was a half eaten bag of chips in Kenny’s hand. Apparently Pat had found some time to buy some cupcakes, because there was about 3 half eaten ones on the counter.

Garrett stepped over bags and blankets and we walked to our room quietly.

He closed the door behind me, and I started to change. I wasn’t really self conscious about it anymore around him, especially since he’d seen my with a lot less on. I slid my shirt off and threw on a big, old plaid shirt. I wiggled out of my jeans and put on some old shorts. I turned around and saw Garrett already getting in bed. He took his shirt off, and that was good enough for him. He slid under the covers with his black jeans still on.

I got in next to him, and he scooted against me. He wrapped his arm against my stomach, and I closed my eyes. Sleep was coming fast, and I felt Garrett say against my neck, “What’s gonna happen at the end of the summer?”

I opened my eyes. What was going to happen? “It’s barely June,” I said, trying to think.

“Yeah I know,” Garrett said. “I just… I know you have to go back to school and everything, but I don’t want anything to happen to us. I can’t do that again.” he said. His voice had dropped to a whisper.

I didn’t know what to say. Why was he bringing this up now? I just wanted to go to sleep, it had been a good day, he didn’t need to ruin it. I stayed quiet, and soon I felt Garrett pull away from me. He turned around, his back to mine, and we fell asleep that way.

I woke up and the door to our room was open. I sat up and looked out into the hallway and saw Kenny speeding by. “Who’s coffee is this?” he said, a cup in his hand. Pat walked in, and started looking through Garrett’s bag.

“Don’t mind me,” he said. I guess he found what he was looking for, because he pulled out a box of twinkies. He stood up and turned to leave. Then, quickly, he turned back to me, and said “I’d shower now if I were you. We’re getting ready to go grab a bite.”

I nodded, and Pat walked out. I looked around the room. Garretts shoes were gone, and I guess he had already gotten ready.

I stood up and went to shower. I changed into some comfortable clothes, getting prepared for the long ride. I walked out into the living area and saw Jared zipping up his suitcase. Everyone else was gone. “Leah,” he said over his shoulder. “Get your stuff. We’re going for breakfast. Everyone’s packed up.”

I nodded and went to grab my stuff. I hadn’t really unpacked, so all I had to do was slide in my pajamas and zip up my suitcase.

I walked outside with Jared and got into the van. Pat was eating a cupcake, and completely ignoring Kenny ask him about his map.

John was driving, and I sat in the backseat next to Nicole. “Where are we going?” I asked her.

She looked out the window. “Some Mexican place John found in the phonebook. I don’t know, but anything sounds good right now.”

I nodded and my stomach grumbled. When was the last time I ate?

We drove up to some place called “La Malinche.” Whatever that was.

We shuffled in and noticed that there were no booths. The largest table sat five people.

“Um,” John said, looking at us. “Nicole I can sit with you if you want and Garrett-“

But Nicole stopped him, touching his arm. “It’s cool. Me and Leah can sit alone, you guys sit together. Besides, me and her haven’t even had a chance to talk this whole trip.”

John breathed a sigh of relief, but said, “Are you sure? We can totally sit together if you want.”

Nicole nodded, and gave John a quick peck on the cheek. Her face lingered next to his, and she whispered, “I’m sure.”

John smiled, and he bit his lip. “Okay babe,” he said.

Me and Nicole picked a table that sat two, while the boys walked off to some big, round table. We could hear them laughing and talking from a couple tables over, and I looked at Nicole and smiled.

The waiter came by and we ordered drinks. I browsed through the menu, weighing all the choices. Nicole cleared her throat.

I looked up, and she was smiling at me, and I laughed. “What?” I said, giggling.

“I know you left with Garrett last night!” she said quickly. Was this why she wanted us to sit together?

I felt my cheeks getting hot. “Yeah?” I said.

Nicole raised her eyebrows. “Come on, then! Tell me all about it!”

I laughed, thinking about the two kids, and Garrett’s kiss. I thought about the walk back, and then, oh God, when he asked about the end of the summer.

I closed the menu and said, “Uneventful. But tell me about you and John! You guys are always sneaking off together! I want you to tell me everything thats been happening.”

Nicole sat back in her seat, and I watched as she started to blush. She started giggling and put a hand to her mouth.

“Oh my God,” she said, “Okay I’ll tell you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
i have nothing to say here