He'll Never Know

The First Sight

"Just 4 more hours to go," I thought, "I can do this."

The bell rings to go to fifth period. It was my first day of high school, and I was ready to burst out into tears at any given moment. The halls were filled with strangers, and my nerves were shot.

After what seemed like a decade, I reached the blue double doors leading into the band room. As I stepped inside, my eyes got wider with even more fear, if at all possible. I sat down in the dead center of the room next to one of the only people I was familiar with in the entire school.

It's unbelievable at how many people could be in a room, yet you still feel so alone.

In a split second, I looked over and a young man was sitting next to me. "Hi," he said with a wide smile already spread across his face, "I'm your band director." I smiled back slightly.

One word led to another, and he tells me in a polite manner, "The trumpets are over there." He points to the second chair from the end of the row.

I quietly obey his orders and take my seat.

My eyes were still wondering the room. I looked to my right, straight ahead, to my left-and suddenly, my eyes were locked. "Wow," I thought, "that kid's totally gay."

I started to roam the room with just my eyeballs again, but everytime I did so, they'd always end up in the same exact spot; on the "gay guy" with the hair a little past his ears, big, buldgy eyes, and a huge nose. "Stop it Hannah," I said to myself quietly, "he's hideous!" I softly smiled and nodded. "I know."