He'll Never Know

It's Not Me

Band had just ended, and I was getting up to put my euphonium back in it's case.

After placing everything where it goes, I came back to my seat to pick up my things. All of a sudden, Taylor comes over to me wide-eyed, and urgently motioning for me to come closer.

As I'm now anxious about what she has to say, she leaned over in my ear. "James likes someone.." She backs up slowly.

I raised my head up the slightest bit, feeling my eyes widen, my body feeling stiff. "What?" I asked, looking her in the eyes. "How do you know this?"

"Aly texted him asking if she'd ever stand a chance," she looks around, "then he texted her back saying that he has his eye on someone else."

I stood stiff for a moment, then slowly nodded. I slowly began to walk toward the double doors to exit the band room.

I walked a little slower than usual to my normal spot in the cafeteria and sat down, folding my arms as I lay my head in them, beginning to break out into tears."

It's not me, I thought. It could never be me. He's got his eyes on this stick-skinny blonde who could beat me at looks, smarts, and band anyday.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, so I peaked through one eye to find Taylor leaning over me. "You okay?" She asked.

I slowly closed my eye back and nodded. She hugged me and walked away as I was left there to think about how to get through the day without having a meltdown.

As I got home that same night, as usual, I went straight to Facebook to tell Lonnie what happened. He told me how sorry he was, and that was really all he could say.