He'll Never Know

Score One For This Chick

One of the main reasons as to why I enjoyed being involved in extra band activities was because James never missed one. It was the day of district try-outs.

Basically, district is where you put together a concert with other high school band students within your district in a two day period, performing on the third day. All of this takes place at a hotel, except the auditions. It was our schools' year to host them.

As the band students from other high schools arrived, I spotted one of my close friends, Dalton.

I met Dalton at a past band concert. He and I got really close, and he was so fun to be around.

I ran up and hugged him tight from behind, and as always, he lifted me off my feet and twirled me around.

After we said our hellos, he followed be back over to where I was previously standing before I saw him. I began to search the area for James, and I spotted him with a girl hugged up to him like she owned the place. I knew they were just close friends, but that didn't mean I enjoyed her existence.

My nostrils began to flare as I balled my hands into fists. I had to keep reminding myself that he was indeed gay. I then relaxed a little, continuing my conversation with Dalton.

The night seemed to go by pretty quick. I felt great about my audition. I decided to stick around for the results, which I was sure would take hours with Mr. Sun in charge.

James was appointed the job of the announcements through the mic, and boy, did he love to be heard.

The try-outs were probably just around halfway done, so I decided to walk up to where James was seated, at a table facing the loud band students waiting to audition, and ask if he needed me to do anything. Call me a suck-up, but hey, it was an excuse to talk to him.

I took a deep breath and made my way to the table.

"Hey, do you need me to help with anything?" I smiled shyly, staring at his beautiful face.

"YES," he quickly exclaimed, handing me a folder. "Can you take the French horns to Mrs. Locks' room?"

I nodded and smiled as I turned to face the crowded cafeteria.

"Alright guys," he announced, "I need all of the French horns. You will be going with this cutie right here!" Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him point at me.

My mouth flew open as my eyes got wide. I turned around to face him, smiling from ear to ear, attempting to hide my bright face with my hair.

He put the mic down halfway as he stared at me. He had a huge grin on his face with his bottom lip quivering as he winked.

I couldn't believe he said that in front of all those people. I felt their stares, but I obviously didn't care. I was cute, they weren't.

I turned back around to face the crowded cafeteria once more as I saw one of my best friends, Chris, laughing at my reacting and giving me a thumbs up. I held the folder up to where it hid the side of my face that James could see, and I mouthed 'OH MY GOD.'

For the rest of the night, I couldn't wipe the ear to ear smile off my face. "I'm cute," I said to myself, bouncing through the halls, fangirling as I replayed that scene over and over again in my head.