He'll Never Know

Preparing For The Next

I stayed after school to hang out with some friends before the graduation ceremony. I knew that if I would've went home, I wouldn't have been able to take my mind off of this time next year. So, I decided to try to keep busy enough to where I could hold myself together.

As time passed, I decided to change into my white dress shirt and khakis that were required for the ceremony. As I came out of the restroom stall, I stared at myself in the mirror as I took a deep breath. I walked out of the restroom and turned the corner to the cafeteria, where my friends were located.

It wasn't much longer until Mr. Sun arrived, meaning we were to go to the gym to get things set up.

We had around an hour or more before we even had to be seated, so I made conversation for a bit, then I started wondering back and forth between my friends.

It was time for the graduation ceremony to begin. I scooted my bottom to the edge of my chair to begin playing.

The band begins to play as the graduating class and ushers walk out by twos, one from each side, meeting in the middle.

It felt like we had played for ages, then Mr. Sun gave us the que for us to cut off.

While the seniors were called on stage to accept their diplomas, I sat very still, deep in thought. I couldn't even bare to imagine the feeling I would have at this very moment come next year. As my heart started to sink, the diplomas were all handed out, and the band seniors, and James, were seated with the rest of the band for one last song as the band of 2012.

As James takes his seat, I close my eyes and breathe in deeply, filling my lungs with his sweet scent. I opened my eyes and exhaled and watched our band director as he conducted the song.

As much as I hated the song, it was actually a bit depressing to hear it played one last time.

The seniors, and James, rose from their seats as the crowd applauds to take their spots with the graduating class. They all stood as a prayer was said. I bowed my head as I said a little prayer myself.

After the prayer was said, I rose my head, and as tears started to blur my vision, the silence became cheers as the seniors were pronounced the graduating class of 2012.

A shy smile spread across my face as a tear rolled down my cheek. I looked up toward the ceiling, seeing the caps go up out of the bottom of my eye. The whole gymnasium was going crazy, clapping and cheering, but I felt like it was silent. I was too caught up in how fast that sophomore that I fell in love with became a senior, and how fast that senior's going to become a graduate.