He'll Never Know

Christmas Just Got Better

I searched for two full weeks to find the perfect gift for that boy, but nothing seemed to be good enough for him. Nothing would EVER be good enough.

I decided I was going to get him a wallet, a toboggan, and a keychain from the heart.

The keychain had a silver trumpet in the middle with his name on it at the top, and worlds greatest trumpet player at the bottom.

Before I knew it, it was the day of the Christmas party. I was as nervous as I could possibly be. "What if he doesn't like the gift I got him?" I thought. I quickly shook the thought away as he walked through the door.

"Here James," I said quietly while handing him his decently wrapped gift. "Thank you Hannah!" He gently took the gift from my hands.

I quickly managed to get out, "OPEN THE BIG ONE FIRST!" The big one had the wallet and toboggan inside. I wanted to save the best for last.

He paused, "....the little one scares me more than the big one." He's a joker.

He starts to open the big one. "I HATE BOXES!" He yelled.

"I'm sorry," I said, "it was my mom's idea! But hey, it's a cute box."

He looked the box over. "Yes Hannah," he looks at me, "it's a very pretty box."

I smiled as he continues unwrapping.

"AHHH, so cool," he said as he lifted the gifts out of the box.

He pulled out his old wallet and immediately started to change into his new one.

"Look at how old this one is," he held up his old wallet. The whole front was torn apart, almost as if he washed it continuesly for three day straight.

I waited patiently for what seemed like forever and a day until he was finally finished. He then began to unwrap his other present.

I took a deep breath as he held it up. "AHHHHHH," he said, "IT'S AWESOME!" He looked me in the eyes and said, "Thank you!"

Then, the unthinkable happens. Of course I was expecting a thank you or something, but NEVER a hug!

His open arms slowly come toward me. "Don't panic Hannah," I silently told myself.

Paige, who was standing right in front of us, was smiling from ear to ear.

I finally began to touch him just the slightest bit when he says, "Sorry, I'm a little sweaty." My eyes shot open as he wrapped his arms tight around my back. My face was practically shoved in his neck. I could feel my heart pounding, my body getting warm, and my vision start to blur.

I hugged him long enough to know that it wasn't a dream, and being as stupid as I am, I pulled away. I smiled at him once more and took my seat.

Paige walks next to me and says, "Didn't see that coming, did you?"

"You don't know the half of it," I managed to spit out through all the shaking.