Sequel: Asleep Or Dead

Awake and Unafraid

Chapter Two (short, yet important)

I settled in a hard purple chair in the back, when the seminar started. I sighed heavily. Two stocky men came up in fire suits, and hats and continued to talk about fire safety. For the questions, kids raised their hands.

The large window with a cross on it drafted beams of light onto all of the children's heads, making them look angelic. It was inspiration for me. I took out my sketchbook and pencil, and began to draw the scene. So far it was a good sketch, impressive even. A redhead plopped down beside me.

"That's a very good drawing, young man." She smiled, her husband, who's hair was greying, tapping her hand to pay attention. I mumbled a 'thanks' and continued to watch the children's stubby little hands go up.

"Now who would like to come up here and try the gear on?" The fireman said, holding up another suit, and helmet. The silence and lack of hands seemed to last forever. The firemen looked forlorn that thier stardom had been released.

A pale hand shot up shyly. The teachers smiled warmly. You could tell they were fond of this student. I recognized her as the blonde from the playground. Her blue eyes shined, laced with fear.

"And what might your name be miss?" The fireman asked. I was proud for the girl. That fireman scared me.
"Kaitlyn Wagner." She mumbled in a high-pitched child's voice.
"Ahh yes, you must be very brave to come up here. Don't be shy." The fireman sounded like a pedophile. Kaitlyn looked at her feet.

The two men dressed her frail body in the massive suit and the hat.
"There." He said.
"FREAK!!" A kid shouted from the audience. I wanted to punch him. Kaitlyn broke down, crying into her small hands.
"FREAK! FREAK! FREAK!" The whole student body was chanting now. They all had snotty little faces on. Kaitlyn continued crying.

"You're just JEALOUS 'cause I'm braves and yous not!!" She yelled. God, I felt so bad for her. I would always remember that girl. I made a solumn promise.

"Now dear," One of the teachers said. "Be quiet Ms.Hess!" Kaitlyn screamed in her face. She said a solumn "Sorry Ma'am" and ran out the door, various pieces of fireman suit dragging behind her. She paused to grab her dog, then ran out wailing. How I hated this. I was so mad, I stormed out to my car. I opened its door, and sped down the road.

Before I sped, I mouthed the words "I'm Sorry" to her. She nodded. I never forgot that child. I can't even imagine why, but it got to me. I was crying now! Over a little kid! I straightened up, pulling my self together. I was such a pansy. When I arrived at my destination, I realized why I cried.

I was once that kid. Just like that girl. Kaitlyn Wagner.