Sequel: Asleep Or Dead

Awake and Unafraid

Happy Twentieth Chapter

~Gerard's POV~

I kissed her cold lips, and the ambulance driver pulled me aside, as the other paramedics dragged Kate's limp body into the ambulance.
"What happened?" He asked.
"She..uh..got struck by lightning."
"Oh dear," the driver murmured, and told me to get in the back.

I called Kaitlyn's parents, and they picked up on the second ring.
"Hello?" Kate's dad said in the phone.
"Hi, Mr. Wagner, It's Gerard, and.." My voice shook.
"Oh, hello Gerard, what is it?"
"Kaitlyn...she...got struck by lightning, and is on the way to the hospital now."
"Oh dear! We'll be right over! Thanks Gerard."

Kaitlyn's mom screamed in the background. I heard her say:
"That's what she gets for being a fucking storm chaser."

Storm chaser? This was something that Kaitlyn never told me.

In the ambulance, I held her hands, and the paramedics were trying to revive her. I was so scared, my face was of a ghost. Her paralyzation was scaring me shit. I sung her her favorite song: Demolition Lovers, in hope she would wake up.
"Hand...in..mine into...your..icy..blues.." I choked, crying. The paramedics stared at me.
"Don't we know you?" One said.
"I bet you've seen me before."
"Oh."

We arrived at the hospital.
"Go to the waiting room, son."
"No! I want to go with her!"
"She'll be fine. A major electrocution, shan't be fatal."
"NO! Wait!" I cried desperately.
"Sittdown boy." The man said gravely. I hung my head and walked to the waiting room.
Echoing behind me, I heard the word:
"CLEAR!"

Shit-fuck. They had the defibrillator, as I learned from watching medical TV shows. I was so worried about her now. The shuddering idea of someone putting 100,000 volts of electricity into the love of your life is enough to make anyone worried.

That was the last thing I heard before I left into the waiting room. The nurse greeted me cheerily, and happiness is not the thing I want to hear at this point in my life. I filled out some forms, and sat down on the plastic disinfected chairs.

Kaitlyn's parents came running in, her sister too. Shortly followed by The guys.
"Oh dear God! My baby!" her mom said, hysterically. I shuddered.
"Gerard!" Frankie came up and hugged me for comfort. I didn't want comfort I wanted Kate.
"Frankie! Guys!" I was crying again.
After three hours, the nurse waltzed up to all of us.

"Family only." She said.
"Gerard, you're 'family' according to us, sometimes I think she cares more about you than us." Her dad whispered in my ear. I nodded. We walked in, her sister in hot pursuit.
"Suz, you stay here. She's gonna be really hard to look at." Her mom warned.
"Fine." She was crying. Susannah went to go sit by Mikey, her favorite.

I walked into Kaitlyn's hospital room. The beautiful girl I knew was unrecognizeable. Her soft features were covered in burn scars, her eyes clenched, and her arms scarred. There was an IV in her arm, and my fear of needles surfaced. An oxygen mask was attached on her face to a respirator. It brought tears to my eyes.

"Good news." The doctor, a balding man in his forties, came up. "She's going to live with no side effects of the strike. Well, luckily, It wasn't a direct hit, it was two inches from her, and if it was a hit, she'd most definately be dead. She'll be able to come home in two weeks."
Tears of joy welled in my eyes. She'd be alive for me to hold in my arms once more.

"Oh doctor! That's wonderful!" Her mom raved.
"Yes, well she probably won't be able to speak for a few days."
His voice was interrupted by a word. A name.
"Ger-rard-d" Kaitlyn studdered.
"Oh my God." The doctor squeaked. "That's amazing. NO ONE has ever recovered so fast!"
"Shut up." Her mom said to the doctor.

I ran to her side. Kate lifted a hand to my cheek with much effort.

She was alive. She was a miracle. Bliss.