Sequel: Asleep Or Dead

Awake and Unafraid

Chapter Twenty-Six (Oh Dear God.)

~Kaitlyn's POV~

Okay, a giant weight has been lifted up from my sholders. I finally told Gerard the truth about college, and I was waiting until he asked. I looked at the sky, in my weather-watching fashion, as Gerard stared grimly out the window at something. I read the clouds. Cumulonimbus. (To you weather-inept people, that's a thunderstorm cloud) Bad.

My eyes turned from the sky to the forward horizon.

In front of me I saw the Bridge. I shuddered, and Gerard looked concered for me.

"Okay, Gee."

"Okay, what?" He replied.

"I'm scared."

"It'll all be okay." He comforted me, and put his hand on mine. I felt all warm inside.

We advanced on the green, steel, tall, thing in front of me. I stared at it with the stare of anger, and fear mixed together. The car lurched up it. What I saw next frightened me.
x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x
~Gerard's POV~

The powerful vehicle advanced forward. I realized that the others decided to bunk in for the night, since it was already 9:00 and we still had about 4 more hours left to drive, so I decided to keep on going for a little while. I heard thunder rumble. I glanced nervously at Kate who looked at the approaching sea-green, winding, and bulky suspension bridge that was drawing ominously near. She stared at it with great intent.

Suddenly, there was a great bang, and I immediately looked forward. We were already halfway across the bridge, when a stroke of lightning came dangerously near. It didn't hit us. It hit the bridge.

"What the hell!?" I screamed in surprise. I was beginning to hate lightning.
x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x
~Kaitlyn's POV~

I screamed bloody hell when the bang hit the bridge. Most people would think it was lightning. It was, then we saw the horrible grey shape approaching us. Gerard's face was depicted horror. I heard something lurch, and I felt concrete drop. Fuck.
x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x
~Gerard's POV~

I squinted. Something was coming twords us, but I didn't know what. I looked at the road. What I saw, shocked me.

The bridge had a hole in the concrete.

I slammed on the breaks, and heard screeching. When the screaching stopped, I knew what had happened. But it wasn't what I thought. I saw the grey thing and screamed, instinctively grabbing Kaitlyn's hand, and holding on with all my might.

The grey thing was a tornado.
x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x
~Kaitlyn's POV~

I am so glad right now that I watch the Discovery Channel. Especially, when they have those survival shows on.

I frantically ripped open the glove box in the car, and found what I was looking for.

An emergency glass breaker.

A little hammer like thing that can shatter a window with a single strike.

It was then, I heard a roar. The familiar roar of a tornado. I looked ahead at the hole in the concrete and cursed the construction workers for doing a shitty job, the last time. I hit myself for making the mistake that the thunderstorm was miles away. It was dark, and I didn't get a glimpse of the entire base of the cloud! Then I could've saved us! I gripped Gerard's hand tight, and the glass breaker tighter, as the tornado swept us into the abyss.

At least we didn't drive through the hole in the concrete.

I HATE THIS BRIDGE.

I smashed the glass as soon as the car made impact with the water.
x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x
~Gerard's POV~

I heard glass smash as the car made impact, knocking the wind out of me. I felt a tug.

Kate was already swimming out of the window, in which she had broken. I followed her, as the muscle car sunk to the abyssal bottom of the bay.

We swam to the surface. I looked up. It was at least a 200 foot drop. How we survived, I don't know. Perhaps it was Bethany's angel. Who knows?

Kate pulled me to a concrete pillar for the bridge. I climbed up as well. We sat together, completely out of breath.

"Ha, It's your turn now." She breathed.

"Huh?"

"You saved my life, I saved your's just now, now it's your turn."

"Funny."

"I love you, Gee. We'll get through this together."

"If I known we'd be together, right now." I sung from "The Ghost of You."

"Fanboy." She joked.

"Ha."

"How's it feel, being called that?"

"Good, 'cause you said it."

"Aww."

Exhausted, we fell asleep in each other's arms, at the bottom of the Francis Scott Key Bridge, on a concrete pillar.

Good, because that wasn't the way I wanted to die.