Status: In progress

The Webs of Twisted Fate

Chapter Three

Aveline sat leaned up against a tree her fingers twirling around a lavender flower. Her mind raced with everything that was going on this seemed like the only place she could have gone to have some time to herself. Memories danced in her mind. It was like yesterday that her and Phoenix were playing under this tree. Their parents laughing nearby.

A single tear fell from her eye.

"Ave? Are you alright?" A soft voice asked.

"Hello, Len." she replied not looking up from her flower.

"We have news. Rumor of a revolt against the dark king. His people are losing fate in him. We might win if we attack now."

Aveline looked up from her flower. Her eyes cold and fierce. Len stepped back, casting her gaze to the ground.

"How many times must I tell everyone I shall not attack their kingdom. Nothing good will come of that. I want as little death as possible."

"Is that really the reason you will not attack them?" Len boldly asked.

Aveline closed her eyes. She knew what Len was getting at.

"Len I don't want to talk about him." she said her voice barley above a whisper.

"Ave you can't keep holding on to him. He's the past. In a battle he wouldn't think twice about killing you."

Aveline got up walking passed Len. She entered the large doors only to be greeted by a solider.

"Your highness we have caught a spy from the dark kingdom."

"Bring him to me."

He bowed and went to fetch him. She made her way to the throne room. In the middle of room, surrounded by a large fountain was an ancient tree. She ran her fingers against the bark of it. It began glowing.

"What frets you my child. Something seems to be bothering you?"

"This search for the changeling, and the pressure from all my people is starting to take its toll on me." she replied sighing heavily.

"Be strong my dear. For you will soon receive news of great importance."

And with that the tree stopped glowing. She went over to the throne sitting upon it. She waved her hand and candles around the room lit up. The sound of heavy foot steps approached and the solider entered with a man. His arms were

bound behind his back. The solider pushed him down, in front of her, so he was on his knees. She waved her hand dismissing the solider. He bowed and exited the room closing the door.

Aveline got up cutting the rope that bound his hands before sitting back down.

"Thank you." he mumbled not sounding sincere.

"What is your name?" she asked calmly.

"Corin." he replied coldly.

"Why have you come to spy on me?"

He looked up at her his gaze like stone. Aveline sensed his ignorance. She slowly lifted her hand. The water from the fountain began to rise. His eyes widened as it formed into a huge sphere and began consuming him. His feet left the ground as the sphere also began rising.

He looked at her eyes wide with fear and began struggling. After a moment she let her hand fall back by her side and the water came crashing to the floor. Corin coughed and spluttered trying to catch his breath.

Aveline looked at him expectantly.

"Phoenix se-sent me."

She looked deep into his eyes searching for any truth in what he was saying.

"Leave immediately." She replied standing.

He looked at her in fear.

"Next time I will not hesitate to kill you."

She calmly opened the door and informed the solider to escort Corin out. She went upstairs to her room and went out onto the balcony. The moon shined brightly in the dark sky. It illuminated her pale skin.

"Mother, father please give me the strength to surpass these difficulties. I wish you were both still here."

Tears slowly fell from her eyes. She looked up at the moon.

Phoenix...what are you planning...?