Under the Giant Oak

All I Could Do Was Gape

It was odd. Instead of Linda never being alone, I was now never alone. They wouldn't allow me to be. By they, I mean Linda and Ronnie. The second I told her what happened she flipped her shit, demanding things like I have to call her when I get home, and I wasn't allowed to go home if Ronnie wasn't going to be there. It didn't matter to them that the people who tried to kidnap me were in fact in a jail cell, waiting for their sentences. No doubt it would be something along the lines of twenty torture sessions with the dom of Ronnie's choice. Ronnie knew some very powerful people, and I wouldn't be surprised if he asked Oli to do it. Oli was called the best in the business for a reason.

I wasn't complaining all that much. I no longer had to come home to an empty house. I didn't have to ride the bus home, and I got to wake up next to my mate in the mornings again. Things seemed to go back to normal. Well, Linda was still pregnant, and I was still over there quite often. But, I got to see my mate on a regular basis. Our sex life was existent again, thank god! Things were getting back into the swing of things.

That is until this morning when Linda decided that today would be the day she was going to have random complications with her pregnancy. She was six months along, and she was having contractions. Does that sound normal to you? No, because it wasn't.

So, here I was, sitting in the waiting room of her doctor’s. I was out here because I wasn't a family member, so I couldn't go with them in the room. That, and I had to wait for Oli to get here to tell him where to go. I feel bad for anyone who gets in his way because lord have mercy on their soul, they'll be dead before they hit the ground.

It was strange, sitting in a waiting room with no one else there. It was too early in the day for most appointments. Fertiles are usually here with their doms who wouldn't get off of work until later in the day. But, alas, here I was. So, I did what any normal person would do and called every number in my phone. And, by every number, I mean Ronnie.

"Hello?" He said.

"Hey there." I replied with a smile. I hadn't seen him in two days because of Oli's business trip, so it was nice to hear his voice.

"Hey, babe. What's up?" He asked.

"Well," I sighed. "Linda got some weird complications this morning, so I am currently sitting all alone in the waiting room of her doctor."

"Is everything all right?" He sounded concern. Linda and him have grown closer while they were babying me.

I nodded even though I knew he couldn't see it. "Yeah, I'm sure it is nothing. I mean she follows all of the rules of this stuff, so I'm sure it isn't anything drastic."

"Well, that's good," he said. "Guess what I did today."

"Oh, I don't know, darling, but I bet twenty bucks it has something to do with a green elephant, a cup of AB blood, and a human who just drank six shots of tequila." I guessed with the upmost sincerity.

"That was close, love, but it was actually a purple elephant with O negative blood." He joked back.

"Now that sounds like a party." I laughed.

"No, but really, I just went to a job interview at Oli's firm for an open dominator position they have in the downtown office." He said.

I gaped for a few seconds. "You have to fucking kidding me? You got an interview? Do you know how hard it is just to be able to look at that place?"

"Yeah, babe. I kind of know how hard it is to get in there, but I think I have a pretty good chance of making it." I could just hear the smile in his voice.

"Well, look at you, the new big, bad dominator on the block. God, you would look sexy as fuck in that uniform." I said, biting my lip.

I heard him chuckle. "Yeah, well I don't have it yet."

"I'm sure you'll get it, though. How can a charmer like you not?" I asked before I saw Oli's car pull up in the lot. "Hey, I got to go. I'll see you tonight, right?"

"Of course." He replied.

"Okay, love you." I said.

"Love you, too." He said before we both hung up.

Oli came barreling through the door with a distressed look on his face. "She's in the room at the end of the hall on the left." I said before he even asked. This wasn't a time to socialize with me.

Not moments later, he came back with Linda, helping her walk like she was a gimp or something. The poor boy had no idea what to do with himself. He was going to be a good father, don't get me wrong. But, until the baby is actually born, he will have no idea what the hell he is doing.

"Oli, I'm not dying, not let go of me. I'm perfectly capable of walking." She hissed at him. It was a shame that matter how hopeful he was trying to be, she was still in the bipolar section of her pregnancy.

"What did the doctor say?" I asked, ending their little spat before it started.

Linda looked over at me, instead of her husband. "Well, she said that this was quite typical in this term of the pregnancy and gave me some medication if it happens again. But, guess what."

God, I was done with guessing right now. "What?" I asked, not bothering with my usual games.

"It's a dom!" She squealed.

I couldn't help the smile that instantly spread over my face. "That's fantastic! I can see it now, the little heart throb that will rule the town."

"Of course he will," Oli agreed. "He is a Sykes after all."

We chatted for a few more hours, until I decided it was time for me to head home. Oli drove me back to my place, and I couldn't help let my mind wonder for a while. I wonder what would happen if Ronnie and I had kids. They didn't seem like a terrible idea, but we weren't going to have any soon. It was just a nice thought. Maybe one day we could have little feet running around the house, and Ronnie could pretend to be a monster and run after them. I would have to learn how to cook better, and I'm sure things would be a lot different. But, it was a nice thought. Just seeing how happy Oli and Linda are, even through the hellish parts, it just makes me wonder.

I quickly shut those thoughts out when I got home. I said my good byes to Oli and looked at my dark house. That was strange. Ronnie was supposed to be home by now. I walked inside, throwing my stuff in some random place in the house, just knowing I would have to pick up later. God, I was tired, and hungry, and just wanted to curl up in bed and sleep until noon tomorrow.

I walked into the kitchen only to stop dead in my tracks. There sitting at the table with the biggest smirk in the world was none other than Ronnie himself. But, that wasn't it. He was sitting there with candles and flowers on the table with some of the most delicious looking food I have ever seen in my life. Hell, this was pretty damn romantic looking. A candle-lit dinner? Hell yeah, that's romantic.

"Ronnie?" I asked unsure if this was real or maybe my tired brain making fun of me.

"Are you going to stand there or come eat?" He cantered. I dumbly nodded my head, walking over to my seat across from him. He pushed my chair in for me like a gentlemen and gave me a kiss.

"Why did you do this?" I asked dumfounded.

"Well," he said. "You've been helping out a lot with Linda lately, and we haven't gotten to see much of each other. So, I thought you might need a little break."

"I don't know what to say." I gaped.

"Don't say anything, just eat. It took me for-fucking-ever." He replied.

I took a bite and moaned. "I bet. This is delicious."

"Glad you like it." He chuckled.

We ate and chatted, mostly about how good the food was. God, he was putting on the charm tonight. He was a proper gentleman. He found a way to compliment me quite often. He smiled that goofy smile he knows I love. He was just being absolutely lovely, but I couldn't figure out why. That is until he cleared his throat.

"What?" I asked.

"Well," he said. "There has been something that I wanted to ask you, for quite a while now."

"Well, go ahead and ask, love. After this you're pretty much guaranteed a yes." I said.

He took a deep breath, like he was nervous for something. Then he stood up, which confused me, and got down on one knee. No way, no fucking way! He wasn't. No, he wouldn't. Oh my god, he so was. He took out a box, and I couldn't help but just look at him like this was the most amazing thing to ever happen in the history of the universe.

"Max, from the moment I saw you, I knew you were something else, and even after all of the drama in the beginning, I still thought you were the most amazing creature to ever walk this earth. The more time I spend with you, the more I fall in love, and each time it feels like I couldn't possibly fall any farther. But, yet, you always prove me wrong. With the recent events, I realized if anything happened to you, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I never want you to leave my side, and I want everyone in this world to know that you belong with me. Maxwell Scott Green, will you marry me?" He asked.

I couldn't say anything. I only nodded my head over and over. He laughed and slipped the silver band on my finger. I don't think I could have kissed him more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Can you believe there is only a few more chapters? It's almost over!