Status: Finished :)

Midas Is King

VI. The Final Sacrifice

By the time the sun sets upon the reception hall, I’m gone. If everything goes according to plan I won’t see the newlyweds until well after their honeymoon. Maybe they will even come to visit me in prison, but that’s their choice. I’ve already made mine and nothing will change my mind. I swipe some cash from Johnny’s taxi fair jar and grab my purse before leaving. Hailing a taxi, I check my purse to make sure that I am still in possession of Jack’s credit card. He never took it back after the last time, I bet he’s even forgot about it considering how many he must have lying around, I grin wickedly at the thought. The ride to LAX is shorter and much quieter than I remember. Slipping the money to the taxi driver, I merge into the crowds; the great thing about L.A. is that you will always blend in no matter what. Even in my bridesmaid dress, no one even bothers to look at me twice; it’s preferable to the alternative though. Weaving my way though the mass of people I find the line for flight check-in.

“Welcome to United Airways,” A worker greets me, I smile at them before producing my passport and credit card.

“First class to New York,” I tell her, my voice void of any and all emotion. This is not for fun, I am on a mission. She catches on quickly, taking both my credit card and passport briefly before returning them along with a ticket.

“Leaves in half an hour Ms Sparks,” The girl says a little shakily, I glare at her and she lowers her eyes. Oh goodness, she’s frightened, I muse sarcastically, smirking at her before heading towards security. The line-up for the security is long, too long for me to waste my time in, so I boycott it and head straight to the front of the line. People behind me grumble and let out loud complaints but I just flash my passport to security and they let me through. I guess when your fiancée owns half the airplanes in the world people bow down to you. The plane arrives just before I reach the gate so I’m able to head straight on to the plane. Only a five hour and thirty minute flight stands between me and Jack. Opening my phone I send one quick little message to him. Then I settle in for a long flight one without any sleep.

I’ll be there soon.

-.-.-.-


The dank humid air of New York hits me as I exit J.F.K international. Several people glance my way, undoubtedly because of my outfit. Ignoring them I put my fingers up to my mouth and whistle, a piercing sound that cause all the cab drivers’ heads to swing my way. Choosing the closest one, I slide into the back and give them the address. The cabbie gives me a look that’s somewhere between disgust and confusion. No doubt he thinks I’m crazy dressed up like this but all the best ones usually are. Ignoring him I turn to stare out the window at the grey and dreary bustling city. Everyone seems to have a purpose, and at seven am everyone seems to be on their way to work, causing the forty minute cab ride to turn into something much longer. As I watch, a couple emerges from a quaint little coffee shop; I smile wistfully as I watch them laugh at something the other said. They seem to love each other, something I’ll never understand. No one has ever loved me that way; no one has even remotely cared about me. It’s just not what the Fates have planned out for me I guess. For some reason, Ares makes his way into my thoughts. But he left me, weeks ago; I need to get over it, over him.

“Miss?” The cabbie breaks into my thoughts, I glare at him sharply, before handing him his money. I take a deep breath to calm my nerves, than I step outside of the cab onto Wall Street. Almost instantly after I slam the taxi door shut he speeds off, evidently happy to be rid of his fare. Men in suits rush by holding brief cases and women in paralegal suits talk animatedly on the phone. Each one seems to notice me and does a double take; at least here they know me. They did not, however, expect me so soon. Without stopping, I push through the lines of people towards the entrance of Jack’s building. Some of the passersby stop to openly stare at me, others move completely out of my way. Reveling in my good fortune, I walk gracefully up and into the building. The hot uneven surface of the pavement gives way to the cold marble flooring in the office, evidently shoes were not a priority when I left Los Angeles on a six hour flight and a three hour time difference later. Oh well, at least my dress was long enough to hide that fact.

“Aella?” A shocked secretary manages to choke out, probably thinking about how brave I must be to come waltzing back in as if Greece never happened. Several business men stop in their tracks and dial-tones ring out from the several phones in the main lobby. Even the security guards are shocked and unresponsive. How lovely, I think, stepping into the elevator and pressing the top button. The doors pause for a moment and as they begin to shut everyone resumes motion. Only this time it’s a little more frantic than before, I catch the panic in their voices. Most of them are wondering if Jack knows about my surprise visit, well he should I gave him six hours of notice, but he was probably too busy screwing some whore.

The doors slid open with a soft ding and I step out onto a soft carpet floor. I can remember the day that we picked this carpet out together. With no hesitation I reach into my purse and pull out Sadie’s lighter that I had taken from the house. Pressing the button I let it drop to the floor and as the carpet starts to smoke I head for the only office on this floor. Some new blonde sits at the secretary desk outside of his office; she glances up briefly and gives me a disgusted look.

“What are you wearing,” She sneers, I ignore her, walking towards the door. Clearly my intentions are evident enough for Blondie.

“You can’t go in there! Mr. Daniels is busy!” She shrieks throwing herself in front of his door. I nearly grit my teeth in frustration.

“I am allowed to see my fiancé anytime I want, now move.” It wasn’t so much of a question than of a command but still Blondie insist on not moving.

You’re his fiancée?” She gives me a once over before scoffing, “Yeah right I’m sure he has better taste than you.

“Well at least I’m not some two-cent whore you little piece of trash; now get out of my way before I make you sorry.” I nearly spit in frustration and anger. She looks at me, raising her eyebrow as if to challenge me. Bad move. Sighing, I curl my fist and let it fly into her face; she doesn’t even stand a chance. I watch satisfied as her unconscious body tumbles onto the floor.

“Pathetic,” I sneer, stepping over her into Jack’s office. The door clicks softly shut behind me, Jack doesn’t even look up.

“Aella,” He greets me, without removing his eyes from his computer, “Have a seat.” Anger courses through my veins, all he can say to me is have a seat. I cross the room to the chair he’s talking about. A beautiful mahogany wood chair, it’s a shame it really is. I run my hands lovely across the wood before I heave it at Jack. The impact knock him off of his chair and onto the floor, the wooden chair isn’t as lucky, it snaps clean in two. I lift myself on top of his desk, turning my body to face him. He looks dazed and confused, maybe even a little scared as I pick up the penknife that he keeps on his desk.

“Are you paying attention?” I ask cheerfully, he nods nervously, clearly wanting me to put down the knife.

“Tsk, tsk, tsk, I don’t think you are,” Sliding off the desk, I crouch down in front of him, he tries to say something but I just ignore him. Nothing he can say will change my mind, with precision I use the knife to cut each side of his mouth open a couple of inches.

“Now this is only going to hurt... A lot,” I smile, kissing his cheek affectionately, than I slam my knee into his groin. He lets out a horrifying scream which in turn causes the cuts to continue across his cheek in a Glasgow smile. Whimpering, he tries to crawl away from me but I’m still not done. I grab his head and slam it down into the floor, his eyes roll back in his head and he passes out. Groaning, I slap his face to wake him up, it doesn’t mean anything if he’s uncurious. His eyes flutter open and I smile victoriously before ripping his shirt open.

“Jackie-boy, stay with meeeee,” I sing out, pressing the knife to his flesh. Using a little bit of pressure I manage to carve ‘rapist’ onto his chest. Jack screams the entire time, go figure, he’s like a little girl when it comes to pain. The shrill screech of the fire alarm goes off and the smell of smoke wafts through the door, momentarily stopping me. Fun’s over, I think grimly, walking over to the floor to ceiling windows in his office. With some difficulty I manage to break the window using Jacks computer. I watch, transfixed as it plummets to the ground below. From up here the lights of the emergency vehicles look like pinpricks, it’s really quite beautiful. Jack has begun to crawl away on me again, so I grab him by his foot and drag him over to the window. Somehow I manage to swing him around until he’s facing the window, I can vaguely hear him pleading for his life but he never once stopped so why should I? Without any further thought I push him out of the window.

“Night night, fucker.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Well she lost her mind, no big deal, theres only like two chapters left, thank you to those people who actually read this it makes my day :)

And its funny cause I wrote the part with the chair in writers and separately from the story and the part with his secretary was done as a dialogue exercise, again separated from the story xD

I was going to be lazy and never update this and drop out of the contest I entered it in but than I realized that was bad manners and I really want to post it, the problem is I got a new computer and the one this story is saved to is ancient and is very very slow