Status: Complete.

A Little More Than Convenient

Chapter 26-LoveDrunk

|Trent Remington|
I was kissing Carmen. Carmen Isabel Remington. My wife. The mother of my baby. And it was probably the best moment of my entire life.
Kissing her was like sharing the best parts of me with someone who was worthy of it.
We may have stood out there all night if it hadn’t started to rain down on us. The first drop that I felt landed on my nose and drifted onto Carmen’s face. I pulled away and smiled at her. She smiled back. And then it started to pour. We jumped in the car, laughing like lovesick teenagers.
We were still laughing as we started down the road. Carmen turned on the radio.
“I love this song!” we yelled in unison.
Then, we both started laughing again.
The song was “Wanted” by Jessie James. We both decided to half sing, half scream the lyrics as we sped down the busy highway.
It totally fit our mood. If one didn’t know better, they’d probably say that we were drunk. But we weren’t drunk, we were just...I don’t know. I really don’t know what the matter was. I did know one thing, though.
I was in love with Carmen.
I didn’t just love her. She was one of my best friends, she was the mother of my child. I didn’t know what it was yet, but I knew that I didn’t want to divorce her.
When we reached the Links, we jumped out into the rain and ran upstairs.
“I wanna wear my hair down in a mess!” Carmen sang.
“Cutoff jeans, can you get with that?” I sang.
“Give you some like you never had,” she sang.
“Cause all I want is to be wanted by you!” I finished.
We laughed some more.
I fumbled in my pocket for my keys and pulled them out. But I couldn’t seem to find the right key.
She started to giggle.
“You know what I’ve noticed?” I asked.
“What?” she asked, between laughs.
I started to laugh. “That I have about a million fucking keys and I only need three! I mean, where did all of these damn keys come from? Shit!”
She burst out laughing again. “You-you stole that from Dane Cook, you potty-mouth!”
I shrugged. “So?” I finally found the right key. “Success!”
We made it into the apartment.
We took off our coats and shoes. She sat down her purse and I placed my wallet and keys on the coffee table.
Then I sighed. “Should we talk?”
She nodded.
“So,” I said.
“So,” she mimicked.
“We just made out,” I forced out.
She laughed. “I know this. We’ve had sex before, too.”
I rolled my eyes. “That doesn’t count, we were drunk.”
She started to bite her lip, obviously trying to hold back a laugh.
“What?” I asked.
“You’re adorable when you’re upset!” She burst into giggles.
I snickered. “Carmen, have you been snorting something?”
“No!” she replied. “I’m just jazzed up for some reason. Maybe it’s a side effect of the pregnancy. I mean, I’ve had morning sickness, cravings, excessive urinating, a backache, fatigue, my feet are swelling, I’ve been hungry every hour, and I’ve been really horny the last couple of days.”
 My eyes widened. “Carmen Isabel!” I mimicked her mother, “Did you just say horny?”
She narrowed her eyes at me. “Yes, I did. That’s how I know the baby’s gonna be a boy. He’s gonna be a pervert!”
I laughed again. “But in all seriousness. Was that kiss...just a kiss?”
“In the moonlight,” she sang, “just a touch of a fire burning so bright. I don’t wanna mess-”
“Carmen!” I exclaimed.
“What? You kissed me.”
“You kissed me back. And you weren’t too reluctant about it, either,” I gave her a stern look.
She raised her eyebrows. “Maybe I like you.”
“Maybe I like you.”
“Maybe we should do something about it.”
“Maybe so.”
She leaned forward me and kissed me with all of the eagerness of the last time.”
I pulled away after a few minutes. “Wait. We need to evaluate this.”
“There’s not much to evaluate, Trent,” she concluded, “we’re married, we’re having a baby. There’s nothing wrong with kissing. Let’s just be husband and wife.”
Actually, that sounded good to me.
“All right, then. Carmen, come here.” I pulled her into my lap and for another blissful few minutes, we kissed.
I drank in everything about her. The thickness of her dark, curly brown hair. The softness of her skin. The sweetness of her scent (a combination of peach and cherry blossom).
Yep, I was in love.
I was really fucking in love.
Finally, she lifted off of me. “Oh damn it, not again,” she said.
“What’s the matter?”
She blushed. I guess I wasn’t supposed to hear.
“It’s just that...I-I’m-”
“You’re what?”
“Remember that pregnancy symptom?”
I thought back, and then I remembered. “The one that you told me about a few minutes ago?”
She nodded. I could tell that she was embarrassed.
“Don’t be embarrassed, Carmen. It’s really normal, actually. I’ve read up on pregnancy.”
“Really?” she asked.
“Really,” I replied.
I kissed the top of her head.
“Trent,” she warned.
“Oh sorry,” I replied.
“If you keep on, you’re going to have to screw me. I’m about to have palpitations,” she stated dramatically, touching her chest.
I grinned and laughed a little. “Do you want me to screw you?”
“No,” she replied, attempting (but failing) to be snarky.
“Lies!” I exclaimed, dramatically pointing my index finger at her.
“No, no lies here,” she shook her head no.
“More lies.”
“No lies.”
“Lies.”
“No-”
I interrupted her by crashing my lips down on hers once more. This one lasted a lot longer than the other ones. It was also much more passionate. I could feel Carmen’s soft breaths through her lips and mouth.
She looked up at me with a soft expression. It made my heart pound. Then she shook her head.
“Trent Remington, what did I tell you?”
“That you weren’t lying,” I replied, smiling and knowing damn well what she meant.
She glared playfully and said, “No, before that.”
“Okay, okay,” I held my hands up. “You said, and I quote, ‘If you keep on, you’re going to have to screw me. I’m about to have palpitations.’”
“Exactly. And what have you been doing?”
“Keeping on?”
“Exactly. And what does that mean?”
“That I’m going to have to screw you?”
“Exactly.”
And with that, I led her to my bedroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoy reading this as I did writing it. It's a fun chapter.