I Can Keep A Secret

One.

Alex's POV
My name is Alexander William Gaskarth. I'm not a bad kid, I'm just lost. Today is my last day in rehab, and I don't know what to expect. I was in the waiting room for about 2 hours now, my one bag filled with what little belongings I had placed on the floor near my feet. I haven't been staying there for so long, but it feels like forever to me, and I wanted out. Since my mom died, I began drinking and doing other stupid shit while drunk. It wasn't my fault though. All I ever wanted was for someone to tell me that it's going to be okay. Someone to give me a hug and say that they will be there for me no matter what. No, I didn't have that, and that's what caused all of this.
I never wanted to go into rehab. Sure, I was hurting myself with the things I was doing before it, but it at least made me stop thinking about well... everything. My dad decided to surprised me one day, it was actually only a few days when I decided to drop out of high school. He told me he already called and I had no choice but to go. I was a senior in high school, I'm 17. I should know enough by now. At least that's what I thought. I still don't know if I made the right choice by dropping out. School made me miserable anyway, I barely had any friends and my teachers hated me.
The people here say that I'm going to live with someone to watch over me until I'm 18, then I'm free. I wasn't exactly too happy about moving in with someone, maybe even a full family. I guess anything would be better than going back home though.
"Alexander!" The lady called me from behind the desk. About time. I reached down, grabbed my bag and headed over to her desk. "This guy is going to be taking care of you from now on, you're going to be living with him."
I looked over to see a guy who was just now getting up from his seat and walking over to me. He was tall with dark hair. He smiled as he held his hand out to me. I stared for a second but then shook his hand.
"Nice to finally meet you. I'm Jack."
I took my own hand back and half smiled at him. I'm guessing they told him a lot about me already because this was planned before.
"And you're all set Mr. Barakat. Goodbye Mr. Gaskarth, we're looking forward to hearing how you do in the future!" The lady behind the desk waved as Jack held the door open for me.
The whole car ride was awkward and weird. I didn't speak the whole time. I could feel Jack looking over to me and smiling but I refused to make eye contact. I couldn't help thinking how badly this was going to suck for me. I didn't even know this kid, Jack, and now I'm forced to live with him. Why was he even doing this, looking after a kid that just got out of rehab? Is he some kind of pedo?
We reached his house and it wasn't exactly huge, but it was nice, I guess. I went to grabbed my bag but Jack grabbed it before I could. I looked at him confused and he just smiled at me and went into the house. I followed.
"So this is where you'll be staying... it's just me here so yeah, make yourself at home."
I half smiled again, and began looking around.
"Oh, follow me." He went into a hallway and lead me into a bedroom. "This is your room now...I hope you like it."
He placed my bag down next to what is now my bed, and I sat on the edge, not knowing what else to do.
"So," Jack sat next to me and I couldn't help but feel a little unconfortable. "Tell me about yourself, Alexander. Would it be okay if I called you Alex?"