I Can Keep A Secret

Three.

"I'm gonna head to sleep early tonight, Jack." I said as I lazily got up from the couch.
"Alright," he turned the TV off and then stood facing me. "I guess I will too." He made his way upstairs to his room and I went down the hall into mine. I've never been in Jacks bedroom, or even upstairs at all. I never really thought about it until now... maybe there was a reason he never let me up there. Or I was being stupid, I mean why would I need to go up there anyway? All that's there is his room- I guessed, and I wouldn't need to be in there.
I woke up the next morning from the sunlight shining through the window. I opened my eyes and I felt blinded for a few seconds until they finally adjusted. It was earlier than I usually wake up but I was hungry, so I got up and went into the kitchen. I reached for the cabinet but quickly turned around as I caught something out of the corner of my eye. A note was left on the table.
"Alex, woke up early this morning to do some shopping. be back soon. - jack"
Next to Jack's name was a little smiley face that was all messy because of his horrible hand writing. I smiled though, I just thought it was cute.
I poured myself a bowl of cereal and I remembered I used to have the same kind all the time at home. Well, when I lived with my dad. He wouldn't make anything and cereal is really simple so it's all I ate- well, when I did eat. Just that made me not miss my old home, and I actually felt grateful for Jack. I never told him that, never even thought about it. Jack was helping me out so much, giving me a better life! And I never said any form of thank you to him.
As if on cue, Jack burst through the doors carrying a bunch of bags in his hands. I quickly jumped up and took some of the bags from him.
"Hey Alex." He smiled at me and I smiled back at him. It was one of the first real smiles I ever gave him, and I could see him looking at me differently.
"You okay..?" We placed all the bags down in the kitchen and then Jack turned to face me.
"Jack you know I'm better than okay and it's because of you right?"
"Uh I don't-"
I cut him off and hugged him as tight as I could.
"Thanks, Jack." I felt his arms wrap around me slowly but surely. And finally, a proper thank you.

---
"Alex! Come watch a movie with me, it's my favorite!"
I got off my bed and made my way into the living room.
"Home Alone, Jack? Really?"
"Shh! It's already starting!"
I smiled at how childish he could be. I sat on the same couch but on the opposite end. Jack was really into the movie but I couldn't help my mind from wondering. I wanted to tell Jack everything, why I was in rehab in the first place. I just needed to tell someone and I trusted Jack more than anyone. He told me to tell him when I was ready, now all I need is to get his attention away from the movie.
I moved next to him so that there was no space between us and our legs were touching. Jack looked at me in the eyes for about 3 seconds and turned all of his attention back to the TV.
"Jack?"
He ignored me. I put my hand on his knee and I saw him jump a little bit before pushing my hand off. I raised my eyebrow and smirked.
"Are you getting turned on or something by this?" I put my hand on his knee again and slowly slid my it up his leg.
"Lex!" He pushed my hand off and fully turned to face me. "What!"
"Lex?" I was still smiling like an idiot.
"Yeah. Like Alex, without the A."
"Anyway... you told me to tell you everything when I'm ready... and I want to now."
"Does it have to be right now, during my favorite movie?" He smirked, but then muted the TV. "Okay, go ahead."
Jack turned around so that we were facing eachother and I had his full attention.
"Well, it kind of started when my brother died," I looked down breaking our eye contact. "We were close, and when he committed suicide, I didn't know who to go to. But, my parents were also suffering so we dealt with it together. When my mom died, my dad became really distant. We wouldn't talk for weeks at a time, and if we did it wouldn't be for more than two minutes. I really don't remember the last time we had a full conversation." I looked up to see if Jack was still paying any attention to what I was saying. I was kind of surprised when I saw he was, so I went on. "That's when everything started..." I really didn't want to talk much about this part, but I knew I already started so I had to keep going. I swallowed nervously but continued while my eyes wandered the room, "I started drinking. I-it just, made me feel a little bit better. Forget for a little while I guess. But then it wouldn't be enough... I started cutting myself too." I glanced down at my wrists and pulled my sleeves over my hands.
Jack reached down and took my hand, with his other hand he pulled up my sleeve and saw the scars on my wrist. I couldn't help the tears coming from my eyes at this point. Not because of the cutting, my mom, or my brother. Because I knew Jack was going to save me.
♠ ♠ ♠
longer chapter than normal but I hope you enjoy it either way!