You're My Only One, the Only One I Ever Cared For

XI

Nick’s POV

As Brass flew down several streets I felt my stomach roll continuously. It was just Brass’s driving though the fact that we were heading where we hoped we find Steph was part of this. My worry was that by now we would be too late that Ecklie would have now killed her and we would have to deal with finding her body. I could see Grissom’s eyes occasionally glance over at me and I knew he was nervous for me as well as in general. I couldn’t help but let the worst case scenario run through my mind as the drive continued.

Fifteen minutes from the required destination my phone received a new video message, Grissom’s to. I pulled my phone out nervous as to what I had received but opened the video anyway. Brass stopped the car and turned in his seat to listen to the video himself. I had to maximise the volume to fight against the rain that was pounding on the car roof. As I hit play my stomach churned again as I saw Steph’s face. She looked so pale and scared, her hair soaking wet and stuck to her face.

"I'm not going to drag this message out, I just want to tell you all that I love you and that I've enjoyed working with each and every one of you...yeah, even you Hodges. The point of this message, is to tell you, Nick Stokes, that I've never really loved you. In all honesty, you were just a way for me to get my dream job, to stay in a place that was warm, but my feelings for you...they were all fake, each and every one of them. My heart was truly yearning for someone else...someone who I've just had sex with...yeah, the one you all despise. It may have seemed that I hated him myself, but I was just trying to convince myself otherwise. I'm not sorry for putting you through this, but now I'm done, there's nothing else left for me. Goodbye, CSIs."

The words she spoke cut deep, my heart feeling like it had shattered into a thousand pieces. She had lied to me but deep down I had always known she was too good for me this just confirmed my worst fears. My whole body had gone cold as tears stung at my yes trying to break free. My stomach was uncontrollable and before I knew what I was doing I was stood in the downpour throwing up on the sidewalk. Not only had she lied to me but her life was going to end no matter what.

As I tried to catch my breath hands resting on my knees my head spinning slightly I heard movement beside me. I knew it was Grissom but he left me alone for a few minutes and my mind ran back to Steph. She was one person I loved and that I wanted to build a family life with. Her words repeated in my mind and each time it felt like someone was taking a knife to heart. It was then that I felt Grissom’s hand against my soaked shirt.

I turned into Grissom hugging him. As we stood there he spoke reassuring me we would help her. As he informed me I needed a calm mind in order to help her I seemed to give in. I let myself relax a little and to focus my mind once more on finding Steph. There always was something about Grissom that could have that effect on me when it was needed. Once I was calm we climbed back into the car and Brass sped off again making up for lost time now, we knew we were tight on time.

After reaching an abandoned house and clearing the first floor Grissom had managed to make out faint sound behind a closed door. I had my gun ready as we surrounded the room before Brass took lead and was the first inside. It was revealed to be the bathroom and all I could see at the moment was Ecklie’s head just visible past Grissom and Brass. As they fanned out slightly I stepped forward allowing me to see the full situation. I stared at Ecklie with hatred but my eyes were soon focused on the limp and lifeless form of my girlfriend in his arms. I noted her clothes were soaking wet but then glanced over to the bath to see it full of red tinted water. I knew the red was her blood as there was a trail of drops across the floor to. Her lip was still bleeding but I knew the blood was from another wound or several wounds that we couldn’t see. I noticed little things like how Steph’s clothing wasn’t sat right on her frame and I knew deep down he had raped her to.

My eyes focused back on Ecklie and as he stared straight back at me I noticed the smirk on his face grow.

“Her life is pretty much over, there’s possibly a few minutes left in her. Such a precious life to at least one of you, or should i say she was until she revealed the truth.....isn’t that right Nick?”

I let out a slight growl as I stood there but I didn’t move. I watched Grissom place his pistol away but I kept mine raised. I listened to Grissom try and rationalise with Ecklie but it failed miserably. Instead I placed away my open knowing Ecklie wanted to see me beg for Steph’s life back. I knelt down and knew everyone was watching me as I decided on what I was about to say.

“Ecklie, please I beg with you to allow me to hold her in my arms one last time. I love her and even if she doesn’t love me in return my feelings for her will never change. Please give me this last moment.”

My words killed me but I knew it was what I had to say to try to convince Ecklie. Tears had formed in my eyes as I continued to kneel there hoping Ecklie would give in. Before he could react though a bullet tore through the bathroom window sending glass everywhere. I heard Grissom and Brass throw themselves to the floor as I did and glanced up to see Ecklie release Steph from his grip.

As I continued to stay low Ecklie grabbed an iron bar and struck Steph’s body with force. He pulled the bar from her skin and dropped it as I watched blood stain her wet clothes more. Brass was quickly wrestling Ecklie to the floor as I scrambled to my feet as well as Grissom our weapons once again raised.

Grissom and I turned our attention to the new voice in the stair well but soon we knew it was a young lad angry at Ecklie and who we knew would mean no harm to us. Grissom quickly had the boy under control as I moved closer to Steph my weapon once again in its holster. I gently pulled Steph’s body into my arms as I felt blood run onto my hands from a wound to her head. I gently kissed her forehead her cold skin almost numbing my lips as I just looked down at her. Tears started running down my face as Ecklie was dragged passed me and once he was gone Grissom turned his attention to me.

Grissom knelt down beside Steph trying to find her pulse. He found one but as he said it panic and a feeling of unease fell as he informed me her heart had stopped and she needed CPR. I placed her gently onto the floor before I started chest compressions her blood now covering my hands from the most recent wound she had gained. I fought though and was determined she was going to survive this, she was one of the team after all and I wouldn’t let one of our die on my watch, especially not the person I loved to.

After several minutes I checked for Steph’s pulse myself and as brass stood in the room watching to I was grateful she had a weak pulse once more. It was minutes later that the helicopter brass had phoned arrived with officers already having arrived to take Ecklie and the teenager to the station.

Once the paramedics had stabilised Steph she was placed onto a stretcher and I followed in pursuit after them into the helicopter. Brass and Grissom would meet us at the hospital as Steph was loaded into the helicopter and we left for Las Vegas general.

The helicopter journey was horrible as I watched the paramedic try to keep Steph stabilised until we finally reached the ER. My whole body was shaking for the whole journey not knowing whether Steph was going to make it or not. I was grateful when we finally landed though.

I was directed straight to a relative’s room where Greg was already stood with Brandon. I walked past him not saying anything and sat down. I watched the second video I had received of Steph being drowned and let tears flow once more as I buried my face into my hands. Before long I felt Greg’s hand on my shoulder as he sat beside me.

“We were sent the video message as well as the one of Steph been drowned to. I know it’s easy to believe but you have to trust me when I say she cared for you and truly loved you. Ecklie’s just twisting things and trying to get to you and I know Steph will fight her injuries just to tell you the truth. You have to believe that it was a lie Nick, don’t let it tear you up”

“She nearly died more than once, I’m prepared for the worst case scenario right now it’s all I can do. There’s too much to allow myself to believe that she will survive.”

“Steph needs you though Nick. She will need you to fight like Lottie needs me to be there for her. Lottie can’t help Steph she needs you to do her part to she relies on you to help her sister until she’s better.”

I took in Greg’s words and it made me realise he was right. Lottie needed me to help her sister I couldn’t be selfish because of the video message now I had to help her she was a colleague to. I turned and nodded at him wiping my tear stained face. I was grateful to have him as I turned to Brandon’s sad and tear stained face to. Seeing him sat there on Greg’s lap upset to and seeing Steph in him told me in a way I had a family to help here as well as the fact that my feelings for Steph were still there and strong.