You're My Only One, the Only One I Ever Cared For

XII

Greg’s POV

Seeing Nick calm down slightly relieved me a little. He had always been there for me through this job so to know i was able to help him made me feel a little better. The fact that my girlfriend was still ay in a critical condition upstairs was still there in the forefront of my mind to. It was fighting amongst the other things going on. As is at there i felt Brandon pull closer to my chest and a slightly tightened the grip around his small frame as i gently rested my cheek against the top of his head. Nick was in to much of a state to concentrate on Brandon and i wasn’t surprised with what had happened to Steph and so i knew i had to take charge, Lottie would of wanted me to.

Grissom and the rest of the team, except Catherine, soon entered the relative’s room and Brandon slid off my lap and headed to talk to Grissom who had something to distract him with whilst the rest of the team apart sat and spoke with me and Nick. After a while the room was fairly quiet. As i glanced at the clock i was surprised to see it was almost two hours since steph had been bought in here. Nick seemed to be getting more worried upset and i had to admit so was i. I wasn’t sure what was taking the doctor’s so long to give us some news on Steph’s condition. I reassured Nick as best as i could as we sat there both Warrick and Sara doing the same thing.

Eventually the door to the room opened but instead of a doctor it was Catherine. She looked panicked and flustered though. She closed the door behind her and i watched as she seemed to check that everyone was present in the room before she spoke.

“I have bad news........”

Her sentence was quickly shortened by Nick.

“No. She can’t.”

Nick’s almost incoherent sentence was spoke at a low volume as he buried his head into his hands once more. As he did i could see that his hands were shaking badly now as i heard shorts gasps of air and the muffled sound of his cries. I pulled my arm around his shoulder and felt like i could kill Catherine with a look as she just stared at Nick. She seemed to put two and two together very quickly though.

Catherine quickly stepped forward kneeling down in-front of nick and placing her hands gently on his own.

“Nick, it’s not steph or Lottie. The news i have concerns Ecklie.”

Just the sound of that name made my head snap up to look directly at Catherine as i felt a rush of hate. Nick was wiping his eye son his sleeve quickly now as he to seemed to be fuelled by hate at the sound of the name alone.

“he escaped. He took down two officer’s although both are now just coming to with sever headaches. They have a strong feeling he’s heading here. Maybe to try and finish what he started.”

I was quickly on my feet Nick to as I turned to Grissom.

“I have to be with Lottie, can you please......”

“I will look after him and protect him don’t worry, Warrick and Sara to.”

I nodded leaving the room just as i heard Catherine inform Nick he needed to go find out where exactly steph was. Once the door shut behind me i practically ran to Lottie’s room just missing the nurse with the tea try in one corridor as i did. I yelled an apology as i continued to Lottie’s room.

When i got to Lottie’s room i was grateful to see a nurse stood inside and stepped in. She greeted me with a smile and she informed me on Lottie’s current state as i settled down into the chair beside her bed now getting my breath back. I informed the nurse about Ecklie and she informed me she would help protect Lottie. The smallest thing right now could cause her condition to worsen drastically which could cause a whole number of things including death. That was one thing i was never going to be prepared to deal with.

As i sat there i turned my attention to Lottie. Her perfect face missing the usual glow it had, her smile that i adored and found so cute gone. I held her hand delicately in my own as i remembered all the moment’s we’d had whether it was at work or at home. As i let my mind wonder i wondered if Nick had found out where steph was now. I wondered if he knew what condition she was in yet. Having watched the videos myself i had a feeling it was bad anyway.

As the nurse went to leave the room i watched what appeared to be two security officer’s run past. I couldn’t make out what they were saying but i sensed i knew what it was about. Had Catherine actually been right had Ecklie come here and risked everything to finish what he had started. Was he going to come for Lottie even though she wasn’t his intended target?

Suddenly there was an hand on my arm and i jumped as i realised it was only the nurse. The door was shut and i hadn’t realised i was standing now my knuckles white as a i gripped the edge of the table at the end of Lottie’s bed. I slowly loosened my grip and lowered myself back into the seat.

“sir are you?”

“Yeah sorry. I think the guy i told you about if going to try and hurt my work colleague who is also in this hospital somewhere.”

“I heard there was another CSI bought in, i can try and find out if you like.”

I shook my head and looked into the eyes of the nurse to see that she was on edge now.

“could you stay in here please. I’m unsure whether Ecklie is going to try and head in here. I need Lottie to make it.”

The nurse nodded and headed to the door turning the lock on it with her keys. I felt a little more relieved as she to took a chair and pulled it near to where i was sat. Now it was just a waiting game until one of the team informed me whether it was safe. To pass the time the nurse started talking to me, asking about Lottie and me and our work. She shared her own information and the communication that took Ecklie off my mind slightly was nice.