You're My Only One, the Only One I Ever Cared For

XV

Greg’s POV

It had been two long days since the latest incident with Ecklie and Steph. I was hoping that today would be the day that Lottie would finally start to come around. Grissom had given me the past two days off allowing me to look after Brandon. Each day i had spent the whole of the visiting session by Lottie’s side and each time Brandon hadn’t left me. He sat on my lap talking to me or just curled up against my chest sleeping. Having to look after him kept me going though but i was grateful that Brandon was there. I had kept myself strong for him and i dreaded to think what i would of been like without him here.

I knew Steph was been released from hospital later today although she would be spending the next couple of days in a wheelchair, the doctors still not wanting her walking on her injured legs and crutches out for the moment due to the sprained wrist and fractured collar bone. Warrick had informed me how she not impressed with that demand, which was a typical reaction from someone who couldn’t sit still for long usually.

Once she was back at home she was willing to have Brandon if i wanted to head back to work and i told her i would keep it in mind but i knew that both her and Nick needed to recover as well. As i sat there Brandon sat on another chair with his handheld game console i heard partial commotion outside and stood up looking out the window. I was surprised as i stood up to hear Steph’s voice.

“Nicholas parker Stokes you stop immediately i want to see my sister and Greg. Push me another centimetre further toward the door without turning and you will regret it.”

I watched on unbeknown to everyone outside as nick grinned and pushed steph forward a couple of centimetres. I could see that Warrick knew secretly nick was going to regret annoying his already agitated girlfriend even if he was joking. Steph folded her arms and stayed silent as nick quit joking and pushed her into Lottie’s room where they greeted myself ad Brandon. Once steph was parked beside the bed Brandon walked over to her hugging her before i watched her whisper into Brandon’s ear. I watched Brandon grin and looked over to see Nick look slightly worried now.

Before Nick could react Brandon had charged full force at what he classed as his brother. I smiled as Brandon went to hit nick then stopped mid-way through turning to face steph. I watched steph nod and Brandon ran back to her smiling as nick seemed relieved.

“You wait until were back home nick. Then i shall get revenge on you.”

Nick walked over apologising to steph before standing behind her. Brandon had climbed back onto my lap now as Steph turned to Lottie the rest of the team except for Warrick disappearing after a call from the new dayshift Supervisor.

“have they said when they think she will come around yet?”

Steph was the one to speak turning and facing me now.

“They are hoping today. I am to.”

Steph just nodded seeming to understand where i was coming from as Warrick took a seat beside me Brandon swapping and sitting on his lap instead.

“You ok with Brandon staying with you or you want us to take him until you come home?”

“If your ok with him it would possibly be easier for him to stay with you. Especially as it could be a bit overwhelming for him depending on Lottie. If you know what i mean.”

“yeah and Warrick has decided that since it’s his day off he’s coming back to ours to help out so Brandon has someone to play with as well.”

“Uncle Wawick is coming to play?”

“if you want me to bud.”

I smiled as Brandon nodded and it seemed settled. Steph was feeling a little tired by now already and informed me they would head off. I promised i would call her in anything happened as Warrick took Brandon into his arms whilst nick pushed steph out the room saying goodbye.

Once they had gone i moved closer to Lottie’s bed. I gently moved a part of her hair from her face and gently ran my finger’s along her cheek before taking her hand in mine.

“I miss you. It seems so strange without being able to sit and talk to you and cuddle up to you at home. Brandon has been helping me cope but it’s nothing to how i will feel to finally see you awake. I need you and i love you.”

It was a few hours before i left heading to get a coffee. When i returned the nurse was doing general checks like she had been doing everyday. When the nurse moved away from Lottie i nearly dropped coffee and i stepped toward the bed feeling a smile form already.

“Your awake. I’m so glad to see that your awake. I love you Lottie so much and I’ve missed you.”

I placed my coffee on the side stepping up and taking her hand on mine kissing the top of her head gently.

“how are you feeling? Are you comfortable. Can i get you anything?”

“Greg, I’m ok. Honest calm down I’m fine.”

“Miss Robinson, your injuries are still quite bad and we will need to keep you in under observation for another couple of days at least but you are getting there.”

The nurse left and Lottie turned to me.

“What happened. I can’t remember anything Greg. I want to know what happened.”

I sat down taking Lottie’s hand into my own as i thought on how exactly i was going to tell her. I quickly decided i would leave it to steph to explain what happened to her as i didn’t know what injuries she had or anything. I would explain what happened to Lottie only for now.

“Ecklie hit you with a car. He tried hit to steph but you pushed her out the way saving her life. You were pinned behind the vehicle and quite frankly it scared me i thought i was going to lose you. You suffered some serious injuries, you have a head injury, as you can tell a broken wrist, you gained a punctured lung that’s healing, a ruptured spleen which has also been seen to and three broken rib’s. Steph’s at home and Ecklie has now been locked up. Infact steph wanted me to phone her when you came to so i will quickly go and do that now.”

Lottie nodded as i kissed her and stepped out of the room walked down the corridor before pulling out my phone. I dialled Steph’s number and was grateful that she picked it up quickly.

“hey, Lottie’s awake she’s not long come to. She can’t remember what happened and so i have only told her what happened to her. She only knows that your at home and nothing else i was hoping you wouldn’t mind telling her what happened to you as i don’t know fully myself.”

Steph informed me she would come down and visit this evening with nick and Brandon and would explain to Lottie then what happened although when she turned up in a wheelchair i knew questions would be asked. I soon stepped back into Lottie’s room and she smiled at me.

“Steph’s going to come down with nick and Brandon later tonight for a little while.”

Lottie seemed happy with that response as i sat down beside her again just talking to her and answering any questions Lottie had. More than anything though i was grateful to see that Lottie was getting better, that soon i would have her back home and normal life would be able to continue.