You're My Only One, the Only One I Ever Cared For

II

Greg’s POV

As i stepped into the bowling alley my hand linked with Lottie’s i smiled as Lottie waved at the rest of team who were already at a lane. Lottie let go of my hand heading over to them steph doing the same as me and nick headed to the bar getting our drinks in. We opted for alcohol since we had tonight off thankfully. Once we had grabbed the drinks the two of us joined the team happily as we all sat and talking bowling the background event for everyone as we cheered good throw’s.

As i sat down Lottie perched on my lap as there weren’t any spare seat’s i smiled mid conversation with Sara and Catherine. Nick was stood not far form steph who was currently bowling when she got a strike i smiled watched how happy Nick was as he picked steph up hugging her and the two sharing a kiss. Catherine commented on how she had never seen Nick this happy with one person and how she was glad to see that after all the stuff that gone on for him and steph that they both pulled through like me and Lottie did.

The hour’s quickly went by and before long Grissom, Catherine, Sara and Warrick were having to head back due to work shift’s starting soon. The four of us sat there for a while just finishing off our drinks enjoying been out of the apartment for a while. Once we were done we slowly made our way out, i wasn’t drunk just a little merry as i laced an arm around Lottie’s shoulders the two of us walking along. I turned around to check nick and steph were behind us to see Nick stumble slightly and nearly fall up a step, steph quick to put an arm out and help him get his balance again. It was safe to say he was a little worse off for me but he seemed to steady a little more as we headed out the door.

As we started walking back nick had downed a bottle of water which seemed to quickly help his balance and he started to walk a little steadier the further up the road we got. As we walked up the road a feeling of unease spread over me, almost like someone was watching me. I had glanced up a couple of times scanning the sidewalks and roads but saw nothing that told me someone was watching, nothing obvious to me anyway. Everyone around as just continuing with their own business, people in the middle of phone calls and mid conversation amongst other things. I shook the feeling off after a little while and carried on walking me and Nick now falling in line with each other as we talked. Steph and Lottie were in some sort of deep conversation on some other different subject and so me and nick left them to it happy not to be involved in anything requiring to much thought on our half.

We were about 20 minutes from the apartment block when the feeling of unease returned. I allowed my eyes to wonder across to the other side of the road where finally i spotted the culprit. I kept the glance indirect as to make it inconspicuous and so through my peripheral vision watched as Ecklie, dressed in tan pants and a pale blue polo shirt walked in line with us from across the road. As i continued to watch him i noticed how every so often he would glance over at the group of us for a few seconds before facing forwards again. He always made sure he was perfectly inline with us but so that he also blended into the crowd of people.

I hadn’t realised my body had tensed up as i watched Ecklie until nick alerted me to it.

“Hey what’s up you seem on edge Greg?”

In-fact i hadn’t realised nick had spoken for a good five minutes whilst i continued to watch Ecklie. I made sure the girls were at enough of a distance in-front not to overhear but were also not to far away as i turned to nick.

“Don’t look directly over to him, but Ecklie is walking directly inline with us over the other side of the road and keeps glancing over suspiciously every so often.”

Nick was silent and i knew that we was scanning the sidewalk for Ecklie without making it obvious as well.

“Don’t mean to alarm you bur he isn’t there at all.”

I turned scanning the sidewalk properly now. I let my eyes run up and down the constant flow of people to see that as nick said Ecklie was nowhere to be seen. A sense of panic washed over me as my mind started to run over, i knew i had seen him i wasn’t mistaken so where had he gone. The way he had looked over to the group left my stomach churning i had a good feeling he was up to something.

“he was there and the way he was acting has worried me. I may be wrong but i have feeling he could try something. In-fact i am almost certain he is going to after what happened.”

“don’t panic Greg, it’s a public place there will be witnesses if he tries anything here and we can protect the girls if we need to. We will both just be observant.”

I nodded taking in nick’s words. The girls were oblivious to our conversation as they walked on talking. As we walked my eyes were constantly scanning through the people in a hope to see that he was still there so i could watch and see what he was up to. I had no such luck though. The next ten minutes of the walk seemed to drag on as me and Nick were both now on edge ready to retaliate to anything that may occur.

Within seconds a large black Denali skidded into the street. Smoke burned from it’s tyres as it skidded hitting the gas as it sped down the street. I thought it was just some kids showing off that it would just fly past us at high speed but before i could do anything the cars direction swerved suddenly more smoke coming off the tyres as they skidded and squealed. The car was suddenly heading for steph and Lottie, i went to run forward to move them out the way but nick took a vice like grip on the top of my arm pulling me back. As i stood there i could only watch in horror as steph and Lottie tried to scramble out of the way of the large vehicle. I listened to the girls screams and within seconds the vehicle had collided with a large metal dumpster and i knew it had hit the cars to, my gut told me that much.

I felt my knees buckle and only just managed to stay in a standing position as nick released my arm. I was stood there just frozen to the spot as i just stared at the smoking heap of metal. I watched Nick run for the drivers door along with a total stranger. I watched Nick yank the door open and pull a slightly blood covered Ecklie out of the seat and onto the floor. Around the scene a hoard of people had started to gather just watching and taking in what they had just bore witness to. It was then i found it in me to move and headed around the back of the vehicle and to the other side.

As i looked around i could see steph sat against a wall, her face and hands covered in blood as a middle aged woman tended to her. I could see she wanted to get up and see how Lottie was but each time she moved the woman forced her to stay sat there. I walked closer to the front of the vehicle hoping to see that Lottie had escaped but somehow i knew to expect the worst. As i reached the front i dropped to my knees as i took in a deep inhale of breath my eyes almost instantly welling up.

There in a sort of sitting position held between the car’s bumper and the dumpster was my Lottie. I moved closer to her taking in the fact she was trapped there and unconscious. Her face was cut and blood smeared and her blouse to had blood stains on, the rest of her body hidden by the vehicle. Her right hand wrist was lay at an odd angle beside her body and i could tell it as broken her left seemed uninjured though. I stretched my hand out and gently placed a hand to her neck, i could feel her pulse but my hand connecting with her skin didn’t get her to open her eyes.

“Lottie..........Lottie. It’s Greg. If you can here me open your eyes.”

I gained no response as i knelt there just watching her face nothing else gaining my attention.

“i knew something was going to happen. This shouldn’t be you here i should of stopped it.”

“It was meant to be me.”

I jumped hearing a familiar voice right behind me. I turned around facing steph as my hand rested on top of Lottie’s left hand.

“he was aiming for me. I tried to save her and let myself take the hit, she wouldn’t let me though. I should be the one lay there.”

I didn’t saying anything just watched steph as i felt tears slowly start to roll down my face. I watched steph step back and walk around the vehicle as i turned back to put my attention back on Lottie and to help her the best i could.