The Price of Evil

One

I tried so hard to forget about that awful day that happened five years ago but it never goes away. I have to live with the guilt eating away at me everyday. I wished I could change everything that happened that night. I made one stupid mistake that I have to live with the rest of my life. I will never forget that night I remember it like it was yesterday.

"Samantha, come on go to the fucking party with me. Stop being a bitch and have some fun," my best friend Lily said trying to get me to go to a party at me ex's house.

"Lily I don't want to go."

"Sam who gives a fuck if it's Brian's party just come to the party and have a little fun." I sighed deciding to go since I have nothing better to do on a Friday night.

"Fine I'll go." Lily smiled jumping up and down.

"Thank you. Now go get dressed into that black dress I got you for your birthday last year."

I got up from the couch walking upstairs to my bedroom. I walked into my room going to my closet and picking out the short black dress. I took off my clothes before slipping on the dress along with my black high heels. I went into the adjoined bathroom applying on my make-up and jewelry. When I was done getting ready I made my way back downstairs where Lily was waiting.

"Wait till Brian sees you he is going to be all over you," Lily said smirking.

We left my house walking down the driveway towards my car. We got into the car as I started it and headed towards the party. His house was not very far from mine so it only took about ten minutes to get there. We arrived at the house which had music blasting, drunken people dancing and making out and people getting high. We walked through the crowds of people to the kitchen where all the drinks were at. Lily grabbed a beer for me and herself before she left me to go find her boyfriend Jimmy.

I was drinking my beer as I looked into the living room to see Brian sitting on the couch while making out with none other than Michelle. Tears formed in my eyes as I watched the guy that I loved all over another girl. She was the reason why Brian and I broke up because that fucking slut could not keep her legs closed. I tore my gaze away from them as I grabbed beer after beer trying to drink away my problems.

I stopped drinking when I felt like I had enough which was when I could barely stand up and my vision was blurry. I stumbled into the living room squinting my eyes to see Lily and Jimmy along with a couple of other people playing beer pong. I really wanted to go home but Lily looked like she was having a lot of fun so I didn't want to ruin it for her. I knew she was either going to pass out here or go over to Jimmy's house.

I headed towards the front door exiting out of the house and stumbling towards my car parked across the street. I got into the car putting the key in the ignition and starting up the car. I knew I shouldn't be driving drunk but I couldn't walk and leave my car in front of Brian's house to come back tomorrow to get it. With my luck I would probably run into him and I don't want to face him now or ever.

Cars were parked all around mine so to get out of here I have to go the exact opposite way of my house. I reversed the car before driving down the road not knowing where I was going. I kept on driving down the dark deserted road watching the rain splash against the windshield. I opened up my glove department grabbing my gps but I dropped it on the floor of the passenger seat. I bent down holding the steering wheel with one hand as I grabbed the gps with my other.

I sat back up straight looking towards the road to see a figure standing in the middle of the street. My reaction was too slow due to the alcohol as I slammed my foot down on the brakes but not quick enough . I felt the impact of the hit as I jerked forward in my seat and the airbags blew open hitting me in the face. I groaned from the pain as I pushed the airbag out of my face and unbuckled my seat belt. I stepped out of the car walking towards the body laying on the ground.

I looked down at the figure gasping when I recognized who it was. The person who I hit was Matt Sanders. He is one of Brian's best friends I hung out with him quite a few times he was a really nice guy. Tears cascaded down my cheeks realizing that me being an idiot to drive drunk I took away an innocent person's life. I knee led down next to his body seeing the various cuts along his tattooed arms and face and the blood flowing out of his mouth. I brought my shaky hand towards his neck checking to see if he had a pulse. I bit back a sob when I felt that his heart was not beating.

What the fuck am I going to do? I can't take him to the hospital he is already dead and I could go to jail for killing him even if it was an accident I was driving under the influence. I had to get rid of his body it was the only way. I grabbed into his ankles dragging his lifeless body towards the side of the road and into the woods. I walked deep into the woods dragging his heavy body until I stumbled upon a large opening in the ground. I pushed his body into it before I covered it up with piles of dirt trying to cover his body as best as I could.

When I finished I ran out of the woods towards the road as I got back into my car and driving away from the scene of the crime. My whole body felt numb and I knew I was sobering up as my eyes stayed locked on the road driving towards my destination. I finally reached home seeing that everyone was asleep I silently walked up to my room. I went into my bathroom stripping off my clothes before getting into the shower. I broke down in the shower my tears mixing with the water as sobs escaped from my shaking body. I curled up into a ball on the bathtub floor letting the events from tonight eat away at me.


After that night I have never been the same since. No one found out about what happened that night even though I wanted so badly to tell someone so I can rid myself of the guilt but I never did. I tried to tell Lily but I couldn't because she would have told Jimmy and he was his best friend. When I graduated that same year I left Huntington Beach leaving behind my family and friends. I thought it was the best decision a the time but I was wrong because leaving them all behind made me lonely and miss them all so much.

I thought the guilt would go away if I left but it has only gotten worse so today I am moving back to Huntington. All of my belongings have already arrived back to my parents house and I was about fifteen minutes away. While driving I took in the scenery of my childhood town seeing that is has not changed much. When I arrived at my parents house I groaned when I saw that is was surrounded with rows of cars. I parked across the street before getting out and walking towards the house. I did not bother ringing the doorbell as I walked inside to be ambushed by my parents.

"Samantha I am so glad you're back home everyone missed you so much," my mother said with tears in her blue eyes.

"I missed everyone too."

They led me to the backyard where all of my family and friends were. All of my high school and childhood friends came up to me saying they missed me and asked how it was like living up in Washington.

"Sam!" I turned around to be pulled into a hug by my best friend.

"Lily it is so good to see you I missed you so much."

"I know it was so hard living without you here." Lily smiled as tears were in both of our eyes.

"Sam you remember Jimmy right?" I smiled at the tall lanky blue eyed man.

"Of course I could never forget Jimmy." He grinned at me as he pulled me into a hug.

"Sam."

I let go of Jimmy to see Brian standing behind him looking at me with none other than Michelle attached to his hip. It still broke my heart to see him with her. Even after all these years I have never once stopped loving him no matter how hard I tried.

"Brian it's good to see you."

He let go of Michelle, who was glaring at me, to give me a hug. I wrapped my small arms around his torso laying my head on his chest while inhaling his scent of mint and cigarettes. Tears filled my eyes as I remembered all the good times that Bria and I had together that I will probably never get again. Brian was ripped out of my grasp by Michelle who was dragging him away. I looked over at Lily and Jimmy who were both giving me sympathetic looks.

The whole night was a little awkward because everyone had a significant other besides me and when my old friends were talking to me I noticed how much I have missed these past five years. It literally tore apart at my heart every time I looked over at Brian and Michelle. Tonight felt exactly like that night at Brian's and I couldn't take anymore of this. Ever since that night I have stopped drinking so I could not drink away my problems this time.

I got up walking back into the empty house as everyone else was having fun not even noticing me leave. I exited out of the front door and walked towards my car where I got in and drove away. I knew exactly where I had to go and it was only ten minutes away. I have been dreading this day for five years but I had to do it. When I arrived at my destination I parked my car before getting out. I walked into the gated cemetery pass the many tombstones until I found the one I was looking for.

Matthew Charles Sanders
July 31, 1981-May 9, 1999
Beloved son and friend


They never found Matt's body but the family wanted to give him a burial when the police declared him dead. I know his family have not stopped looking for him and I feel so fucking terrible knowing that I have caused so many people pain. I knee led down on his grave as tears were once again brought to my eyes.

"I am so sorry Matt I never meant for things to happen like it did. I hope you can forgive me one day."

"I hope so too."

I froze at the sound of that voice as my heart race accelerated. I reluctantly stood up and turned around to lock eyes with a pair of hazel ones. I gasped as I fell to the ground backing up until my back hit the tombstone stopping me from moving.

"It's nice to finally see you again Sam," he said his rough voice sending chills down my spine.

"I-I y-you're dead how is this possible?" I asked making him chuckle.

"I never died Sam you thought I did but you didn't hit me hard enough to kill me."

"If you never died then why didn't you ever tell anyone? Why did you hide all these years? Everyone was devastated and heartbroken you could have saved them from going through all that pain."

"It was not my fault that they had to go through all that pain it was yours and you know it. I have been waiting for the day for you to come back Sam so I can make you experience the pain that I did."

He smirked as he stepped closer to me my eyes widening when I saw a knife in his hand. I stood up from the ground running away from him and out of the cemetery towards the woods.

"Come here you fucking bitch!" He yelled making me run faster while I tried not to trip over the tree roots.

I could not hear his footsteps following me anymore but I did not want to take any chances so I kept on running. My heart felt like it was beating out of my chest. I let out a little yelp when I tripped and fell face first into the ground. I tried to get back up but I couldn't because my ankle hurt too much if I put pressure on it. I crawled over towards a tree leaning my back against the trunk. My whole body stiffened when I heard footsteps and the snap of twigs coming closer towards me. The sounds stopped before they started walking away making me let out a sigh of relief.

"Gotcha." I looked up letting out a loud scream when Matt grabbed my injured ankle pulling me to him.

"Please Matt don't do this it was an accident when I hit you. I was drunk and I knew I shouldn't have been driving but I couldn't stand watching Brian and Michelle be all over each other when it should have been me."

"I know you didn't but I am going to make sure all of your pain goes away so you won't ever have to see Brian or Michelle ever again." He knee led down beside me bringing his arms up and angling the knife towards me.

"Please no." I begged as tears gushed down my cheeks.

He ignored my pleas as he brought the knife down plunging it into my chest. I let out a blood-curdling scream as the pain seeped throughout my body. I looked down to see the knife sticking out of my chest as crimson red blood flowed out. I screamed in agony as he pulled the knife out and more blood oozed out of my wound. The pain was soon subsiding as my vision got blurry and I started to close my eyes. The last thing I saw was Matt's hazel eyes staring down at me before darkness consumed me making all of the pain go away.