Bruises Heal, My Heart Doesn't

Chapter 1

I met Danny in a mansion--his mansion to be exact--when I was fifteen going on sixteen. His dad was friends with my mom and we'd gone to visit. It was the first time Danny ever talked to me in all the years our parents have known each other.

They were in the large living room talking. Danny and I had gone into the other room like usual--but unlike any other time we would go into the room, Danny actually talked to me this time.

"You're really beautiful."

I blushed and looked down. "Thank you." I replied.

The rest of the time, until my mom was ready to leave, we talked. We got to know each other and it was great. Danny was funny, smart, and charming.

The next few times my mom would visit Danny's dad and bring me along, Danny and I would go into the other room and talk. One time, he even gave me my first kiss.

After that kiss, he and I started dating. Our parents were happy for us; everything was fine. He would even give me some money every month so I could help my mom pay the bills and the mortgage.

Until Danny started changing. He would call me names from time to time, he would get angry whenever I talked to one of my guy friends at school or when I wore something even the slightest bit revealing. And then, one day he hit me.

I was talking to my friend, Mark. We were talking and laughing hard. Danny suddenly showed up and grabbed my arm. "Babe, we need to talk." He'd said. I'd excused myself from Mark and followed Danny into the nearest school building. The halls were empty seeing as it was lunch time. He pushed me up against the lockers.

"What was that all about?" He demanded, outraged.

"What?" I asked, "We were just talking."

"You're such a fucking liar! You were flirting with him you little slut!"

I shook my head and tried to walk away but he slammed me back onto the lockers and slapped me, then threw me onto the floor.

I rose into a sitting position, hot tears running down my cheeks. Suddenly, Danny's face softened and he looked terrified. He knelt down next to me and gathered me in his arms, hugging me.

"Dailyn, I'm so sorry! I-I don't know what came over me! Please believe me!"

And I did. I believed him. He'd never done anything like that before, so I believed him.

~Chapter 1~

Alas, the last two weeks of Summer vacation are here.

I stretch and yawn in bed, looking around my small room. The baby blue walls seem faded and the brown carpet looks dull and uninviting. I almost don't want to put my feet down onto it as I get up out of bed but, with a sigh, I do.

My arms and face hurts from when Danny beat me yesterday.

I pad down the hall and into the bathroom. While brushing my teeth, I look at myself in the mirror. My arms are purple from where he grabbed me and punched me and my cheeks are red from the slaps I'd suffered through.

'Lord, I know You didn't create me for this but I need him… he gives me money to help out Mom and his dad is going to pay for my college when I get out of high school. And I know that's not just because he's friends with Mom; Danny must have put in a good word for me, too. I need him. He's the gateway to my future… I can't leave. Please don't let me get him mad today.'

I send a silent prayer up to God. Hopefully, He hears me. After I take a shower, I get dressed, wearing skinny jeans, a cotton long-sleeved black shirt to hide my arms, and black Converse. I put on some makeup to help hide the redness of my cheeks and go to the living room to sit down.

My mom already left for work, leaving me alone in the house. The sound of my phone ringing disturbs the quiet of the morning. I look at the screen to see Danny's name. I pick it up.

"Hello?"

"Dailyn. I'm sorry about yesterday."

I look down at my lap. I'm so used to his sorrys. There should be a new word to replace 'sorry' because I'm getting tired of hearing it.

"You always say that." I mutter.

"But I mean it. What are you doing?" His husky voice makes him sound as if he just woke up.

"Sitting at home." I reply, "Why?"

"How about I come pick you up and we hang out at my house for a bit? Then we can go out--I can take you shopping if you want."

I look around me. It would be much better than staying in this empty house alone all day.

"Okay." I tell Danny, then I hang up.

I sit there and wait for him to show up. Hopefully, I can stay on his good side today. I actually like him and want to be with him when he's normal; when he's that sweet boy that gave me my first kiss two years ago. But when he gets angry, he turns into a completely different person--a person I don't want to be around.

Someone knocks on my door twenty minutes later. I go and answer it to see Danny.

He's tall with a semi-muscular build. He's got porcelain-like skin, brown almond shaped eyes, and short dark brown hair that--most of the time--is sticking out in every direction.

He smiles at me showing his pearly white teeth. "Ready to go?" He asks.

I simply nod, grabbing my key off the hook by the door and stepping out of the house. He locks the door for me then comes up behind me as I'm walking to his 2011 Dodge Charger, wrapping an arm around my waist.

He stops walking, making me stop too. He pulls me in for a long, slow kiss. I kiss him back, resting my hands on his broad shoulders. Finally, he pulls away and continues leading me to his car. He holds the door open for me as I get in, then gets in himself.

"How's your mom doing?" He asks as he starts the car and begins to back out of the driveway.

"Fine. Why?"

"Just asking. She looked so tired and sad last time she visited Dad."

"Oh."

I hear my favorite We The Kings song playing on the radio and turn it up, killing the awkward silence that had settled between us as I start singing along.

"Check yes Juliet, kill the limbo. I'll keep tossing rocks at your window. There's no turning back for us tonight. Lace up your shoes. Here's how we do. Run baby run! Don't ever look back. They'll tear us apart if you give them the chance. Don't sell your heart, don't say we're not meant to be. Run baby run! Forever we'll be you and me."

I look at Danny who's got an amused look on his face.

"Danny! Sing with me baby!"

"Aw, you trying to embarrass me?" He teases. "You know I can't sing."

"So? Neither can I."

He smirks. "You've got the voice of an angel."

I smile and blush, embarrassed, before going back to the song.

"Has your dad tried to call this week?" He asks when the song is over.

I immediately sober up thinking about my father. He's in prison. He's been in prison since before I was born. I have no idea what he did but my mom doesn't ever let me talk to him when he calls. He calls every week.

"Yeah. I got to talk to him this time--Mom wasn't home."

"What'd he say?"

I close my eyes and lean my head against the window, remembering the phone call two days ago.

"He wants to see me--wanted to see me since I was a baby--but Mom kept me away."

Danny takes my hand and gives it a light squeeze. "Maybe it's for the best. I mean… he IS in prison."

"He's still my father."

I hear him sigh. The car goes silent, music from the radio the only noise. His fingers interlace with mine. I open my eyes and look at him. This is the Danny I love. I smile slightly.

"Danny…"

"Yes, babe?"

"…Never mind."

We finally get to his house. He parks in the driveway and cuts off the engine. I wait for him to let go of my hand to get out of the car.

We walk into the enormous house and go upstairs to his room. I immediately jump on Danny's bed. His bed is so soft and it's like there are always a million pillows on it.

He chuckles and lies next to me. "I don't understand you and your weird attraction to this bed." He murmurs, putting his hand on my bare stomach where my shirt rode up and propping himself up on his elbow to look at me. I smile.

"It's way more comfortable than my bed. And bigger. And so many pillows!"

Once again he chuckles.

"Did you have breakfast?" He asks.

I shake my head. "No."

"Do you want some? I'll get one of the maids to make you an omelet."

He moves his hand to hold me at my waist.

"No… I don't wanna burden them. I'll just grab some cereal."

"Dailyn, you always have cereal. Come on!"

I giggle. "That's because I can't live without cereal!"

He leans down and kisses me. "You're so cute." He says.

Then he gets up and hops off the bed to go get me some cereal. I watch until he's gone and close my eyes.

I didn't get much sleep last night; I wasn't comfortable enough to sleep when I was all alone at home. I'm just about to fall asleep when Danny's voice wakes me up.

I open my eyes and he hands me a bowl of Fruity Pebbles. I sit up and take it.

"Thanks." I say.

I eat the cereal in silence and when I'm done, Danny calls one of the maids to come and get the bowl. I sigh.

"What's the matter?" He asks.

I shake my head. "Nothing."

He lays his hand on my thigh and leans in to kiss me. I close my eyes and kiss him back, putting my hand on his shoulder. He slowly lays me down on the bed, laying on top of me. My hands snake up into his hair as his hands start up my shirt. When I feel him trying to unhook my bra, I break the kiss.

"Danny,"

"Come on, babe. Relax." He kisses me again and continues trying to unhook it. I'm not ready yet--I know he knows that.

"Danny, I said NO!"

He removes his hands from underneath my shirt and put his hands on either side of me on the bed. I instantly regret yelling as I stare up into his furious eyes.

"Who have you been fucking? Huh?" He demands.

"Nobody! I never cheated!"

"Don't fucking lie to me, Dailyn!"

My hands instinctively go up defensively at my chest. "I'm not lying!"

He gets off from on top of me. I try to quickly get away from him but he grabs me and throws me off the bed onto the floor. Tears spring to my eyes as my head hits the wall. I start to get up but he grabs my hair and throws me back down.

He keeps hitting me and slapping me as I scream and beg him to stop.

Finally, he does. I lay on the floor, covering my face and crying. It's my own fault; I should've just gave in and given him what he wanted. It doesn't matter to him if we're married or not; he just doesn't care.

I feel his arms around me. "Dailyn-"

"Don't say you're sorry! Just don't! Don't touch me!"

I wriggle out of his hold and scoot away from him. I stand up and look down at him.

"I put up with this for two years, Danny. I can't do it anymore! I'm leaving you." I say the last part quietly.

He quickly stands up. "No, you're not."

He grabs my wrists and pulls me up against him. "You need that money to help out your mom. And you need my dad to pay for your college." He says in a low voice.

"He'll pay it regardless!" I counter.

"Will he? If I make you seem like the terrible little slut you are, will he?"

I falter in my answer and Danny smirks, knowing he's gotten to me.

"Just… please stop hurting me." I beg quietly.

The smirk disappears from his face as he looks at me.

"I'm trying to control myself, Dailyn. I don't want to lose you. I love you."

"I love you too, Danny…"

He pulls me closer for a kiss, then lets go of me.

"Can you please take me home?" I ask, rubbing my wrists.

"Don't you want to go shopping anymore?"

I give a small shrug, indicating that I don't know.

"Let me take you shopping, then I'll take you home."

"Okay."

An hour later, I'm carrying three shopping bags full of clothes to the car.

I don't really like it when Danny spends so much money on me. But, of course, I can't say no. He would probably think some other guy is giving me money or something. Does he think I don't get paid at my job?

"Do you want to get your school supplies now?" Danny asks as we get in the car. He starts the car and gets out onto the road.

"No, I got it. Can you just please take me home?"

"How are you going to go if you don't even have a car?"

I shrug. He's right. I'll just have to take the bus then. "I'll borrow Mom's car." I lied. He hates it when I take the bus. He always yells at me for not calling him if I need a ride somewhere.

"Alright…" he replies uncertainly, stopping underneath a red light. He reaches into his pocket, pulls out his wallet and takes out two bills. Then he hands them to me. A hundred and a fifty.

"I can get the supplies with my own money." I say.

"No, take it."

I sigh and pocket the money. I guess I'll just use it to get some groceries.

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

When I'm safely inside my house, I lock the door and go into travel down the halls into the bathroom. I wish this were a two-story house sometimes.

I look at myself in the mirror. My face is a darker red thanks to what happened today.

I swallow and lift the side of my shirt to reveal my ribs and bare stomach. I take in a sharp breath. There are more purple bruises all over me.

I close my eyes and sigh, letting my shirt drop.

I decide to go grocery shopping with the money while I have the time. I switch my long-sleeved shirt with a dark blue tank top and a black jacket over that. I take off my jeans and wear a black flowy mini skirt instead. Finally, I put on my blue flip flops.

I grab a bunch of quarters for bus fare and leave the house, locking the door behind me. I walk to the bus stop. Thankfully, I don't have to wait long before the bus shows up. I pay and find a seat alone.

I lean my head against a window as the bus starts moving.

When it gets to my stop, I get off and walk the short distance to the grocery store.

I grab a cart and start roaming the aisles. I decide to get the essential stuff first, then splurge on snacks if I have money left.

I first head to the cereal aisle. Like I said, I can't live without cereal.
♠ ♠ ♠
I didn't proofread this so sorry for any mistakes . Please let me know what you think about it ! Feedback =)