Bruises Heal, My Heart Doesn't

Chapter 3

At five thirty I start getting ready for the double-date. Danny left a while ago to go and get ready at his house. I take a shower and go into my room to get dressed. I put on a pair of skinny jeans, a long sleeved purple shirt with a gray vest, and gray flats.

I go into the bathroom and use the mirror to do my hair in a ponytail with a hump and then do my makeup.

I'm just grabbing my purse and phone when I hear the door. I go and see Danny coming in. He's wearing a simple black tshirt and jeans but still looks hot.

He wraps and arm around my waist and pulls me against him, leaning down so that our foreheads are touching.

"You look great." He says. He gives me a slow, tender kiss, then pulls away. "Ready to go?"

"Mm-hm." I reply, shoving my phone into my pocket and putting my purse onto my shoulder.

I lock the door and check to make sure the extra key is in the plant then follow Danny to his car. We get in and he starts driving away from the poor part of town.

"Where are we going for dinner?" I ask. I hope it's not anywhere too fancy. I just feel like any fast food place would do right now.

"We're going to Rita's."

I smile. "Awesome! I love Rita's."

Rita's is probably the best diner in town. The food is delicious and the service is great. Rita's is never empty, but it's too never packed either.

We pull into the parking lot about twenty minutes later and find a good parking spot near the door.

"Hey, I think I see Malcolm and Bev." He says, cutting the engine and starting to get out of the car.

I get out too, and we walk into Rita's hand in hand. We spot Danny's friend, Malcolm and his girlfriend, Beverly already in a booth. We slide in. I'm sitting on one side next to Beverly and Danny is sitting in front of me on the other side next to Malcolm.

We get past the initial greetings, then get into normal conversation. Danny and Malcolm both start talking about football. I look at Beverly to see her smiling at me.

"Boys," she scoffs.

I smile. "Tell me about it."

Beverly is one girl from school who doesn't hate me. We get along fine, but I wouldn't go so far as to call us friends. Besides, she has more than enough friends. She's on the cheerleading team.

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

After we have dinner, we head to the movie theater to pick out a movie and get our tickets.

"Dude! Look!" Malcolm says to Danny as we near the ticket booth. "I heard that movie made some kid piss in his pants!"

"Really? I've been wanting to see that."

Bev and I look at eachother, shaking our heads. The guys smirk.

"Don't worry, girls." Says Malcolm, wrapping his arms around Bev's waist. "You got a couple of big, strong men here in case you get scared."

I scoff. "If you don't get scared first."

Danny laughs. "Us? Get scared? Please."

He wraps an arm around my waist and winks at me. I smile. We get our tickets and go inside. The guys go inside the theater to find seats while me and Bev get the snacks.

"You and Danny are such a cute couple." She says, smiling at me. "I can't believe you guys have been together--what is it? Three years?"

"Two." I reply.

"Well, still. That's longer than most teens these days last."

I blush. "Thanks."

We go into the theater and find the guys sitting all the way at the top, their feet up on the chairs in front of them. We take our seats and the movie starts.

Danny puts his arm around my shoulders and I lean into him, resting my head on his chest.

About twenty minutes into the movie, the killings start. My eyes go wide as a guy gets stabbed multiple times in the head with a tire iron. I gasp as the blood gushes everywhere and bury my face in Danny's neck, squeezing my eyes shut.

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

"Are you okay?" Danny asks me on the car ride home. "You're really quiet."

I nod. "Yup. That movie just really freaked me out."

He smirks. "You barely even watched it."

I had kept my face buried in Danny's neck the whole movie. I couldn't handle all the blood and gore and stupid characters running right into the killers traps.

"Yeah, well. I still heard it."

We pull into my driveway and he cuts off the car. We get out and go inside the house.

"Guess I'll see you tomorrow." He says, pulling me in close to give me a kiss on the forehead.

"Yeah. My boss wants me in early tomorrow, so…"

"Yeah, yeah. I got it. I'll pick you up at seven?"

I nod and give him a hug, my arms around his waist.

"I love you." He says as we pull away.

"I, um… yeah."

He looks at me. "Are you okay?"

"Fine. Just really tired. I'll see you tomorrow."

He shrugs and I watch him leave before I lock the door and go get ready for bed.

When my head hits the pillow that night, I find that Jordan is the first thing that I think about.

How could he not remember me? I guess all those years of friendship weren't so meaningful to him. Or maybe he just tried his hardest to forget me… and it ended up working.

I don't blame him at all. I'm not worth remembering.